summer 2011

summer 2011

Paul and I, all 16 kids and Ashley, Benjamin's wife...Christmas 2012

Paul and I, all 16 kids and Ashley, Benjamin's wife...Christmas 2012
family

Friday, March 19, 2010

being lazy...

I am a lazy girl. Seriously. I got up this morning at 9:00, after deciding last night not to send the kids to school today on this half-day...and realized I need milk from the store. So I made up the egg mixture for French Toast, and left Samuel cooking, with firm instructions not to walk away from the stove or let any napkins or papertowels go near the burners, and had Aaron and Kathryn watching the kids. Evelyn, Suzanne, and I went to the small store in the nearby town, 5 miles down the road. $70 later, I had my milk. And bacon and sausage and more eggs and muffins and bread and orange juice and oranges and bananas and broccoli and some Coke (for the Norwegians) and some chips and some deli turkey breast ($2.99 a pound).......

Anyway, the kids are all outside, and I am taking a break. The dishwasher is running and the washer and dryer are running, and I am sitting here with my feet up. Ahh, it feels good.

Emily didn't have work last night so she was over, and since she works nights, she tries to stay up all night when she isn't working, so she stayed to almost one o'clock. There were at least a dozen of us staying up and talking and laughing. I forget sometimes that I am old, and these are all young people. But they don't seem to mind.

This afternoon Mirielle and Mali and Margaret and Kathryn are going shopping with Stine and Caroline. I want to go! But I will stay here with the kids. It is like summer here in the Northeast: 60 degrees and sunny. Absolutely pleasant and beautiful.

The front yard probably looks pretty out of the ordinary for passers-by: there is soccer playing and trampoline jumping and baseball.....and tree climbing, of course. The other day I looked out the window, and Suzanne was up in a tree, wearing just a sundress and bare feet. It isn't THAT warm out, but when the winter has been so long and cold, they think it is.

I had a dream the other night that I was expecting a baby boy. In the dream, I had nothing ready at all. In reality, when I have babies, I buy all new things and have everything ready weeks before.....I would like that dream to come true, except I would be ready....

I saw lots of pretty babies in the museum yesterday. It was the first time I have gone there without a stroller. I have noticed something, it is this: it isn't so much having lots of kids that is so busy, it is having a baby, or a busy young just toddler, crawling or just learning to walk. Or possibly the combination of the two. At any rate, just having lots of kids isn't all that difficult when the youngest one starts getting more independent. At least at the museum it wasn't. It was fun and easy and went by too fast.

But now I would like to dedicate a paragraph to truths.....

1. I am lazy.

2. I am learning to not care what people think about me. That is why I am sitting here taking a break when I should be cleaning up the house. Especially with company here. But, oh well.

3. Sometimes my kids are unthankful and I think I probably spoil them too much.

4. I am going to eat better and excercise more, tomorrow. Every single day.

5. I would rather sit in the sun that do just about anything, and that is where I am headed.

6. Now that our company has been here a few days, I don't really care very much about keeping the house clean.

7. Benjamin broke the cupboard door off in the kitchen last night, accidentally, of course. I wonder how long it will be like that. I AM glad for some reason that it happened when our guests were here, and not before they got here. I wouldn't want them to think we just live like that.ha.

8. I was slightly embarrassed by all the crumbs in our big van.

9. Camille is dressed in the clothes she wore yesterday. She took them out of the dirty clothes hamper and put them on herself, when I was at the store. I didn't change them.

10. I am going to go sit out in the sun......

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

You go girl!!! I love your honesty. As the mom of many (I only have 1/3 as many as you) I feel I have to keep up this image otherwise people will think worse of me then they already do!! Secretly I am lazy too ;)

Book Lover said...

Della,

You are NOT lazy. How could you be lazy with 16 kids? Just because you make time to play with them and blog about them does not mean your lazy! Your doing what is important. Taking care of them and yourself. I really don't know how you do it. All the meal planning, purchasing, preparing and cleanup. Making sure they all have what they need for school everyday. I'm exhausted just thinking about this. Give yourself some credit:)

Blessings

Kim Chrisman

Darla said...

I oftentimes feel like I am lazy too..even when I think back on my day and realize all I have done all day is fed kids, dressed them, changed diapers, rocked babies, tried to do dishes, sweep, laundry, etc... Just because when all is said and done and our house is a horrible mess and dirty and such, I forget how hard I tried and only see that I didn't get it all done!

I absolutely love your blog and read it alllll the time. Every time I get done, I am just so happy to hear someone that has so many of the same theories in life. It makes me happy. :)

I feel like my kids are sometimes unappreciative and I spoil them too much as well but at the same time, it feels like they are turning out okay.. most of the time!

Btw, we are expecting our 8th baby. We will only be halfway to your size family. :) We now have an 11 mo. old and 2 year old so I expect I will still have some super busy days ahead for a long time. It was nice to hear that you feel it's more the busy years of either infant or toddler or a combo 'cause it helps me relax a little then about myself and say that it's kind of inevitable that our house isn't kept up real well!

Darla said...

...And you lazy? HA! You are busy but also know how to take a few minutes here and there so then when you get going again you can be more patient and loving..because you took a few minutes to yourself! Well, not exactly to yourself but...:)

16 blessings'mom said...

Well, congrats to "Me", on expecting your sixth...and Kim - let's put it this way, I know I could do alot more than I do, but I choose to sit in my comfy chair because it is comfy, and I feel I can cope with the craziness better if I have my time-outs. And by nature, I am definetly a relaxer. And Darla, congratulations on expecting your eighth!! You are in for some busyness, my friend!! When I was expecting my third and after months of preparing myself mentally for all the work it was going to be, I was totally shocked and surprised at how much I loved that baby. I can't explain it, but somehow along the way I forgot about that part. It makes all the work pale in comparison. After that it seems I forgot about how much work it would be, and just focused on how much I would love the babies..that was shocking too....how busy it was with a newborn each time. It feels like drowning, sort of...and when people say they understand, you never believe them, because there is now way they can possibly understand how busy and crazy it is....