summer 2011

summer 2011

Paul and I, all 16 kids and Ashley, Benjamin's wife...Christmas 2012

Paul and I, all 16 kids and Ashley, Benjamin's wife...Christmas 2012
family

Wednesday, March 31, 2010

will someone just give me a baby??!

My "aching arms syndrome" is acting up again. I want a newborn. There must be someone out there who has a baby they don't want. Yesterday while in the Dollar Tree with Abigail and Camille, I talked with a lovely young cashier, she couldn't have been a day over 17, fresh-faced and sweet, no ring on her finger, and all she talked about was her six-month old son. So I realize that generally speaking, girls love their babies, and don't want to give them away. And I am really kidding, I know no one is going to hand me a baby. It is really funny though, Camille and Charlotte Claire are jealous of each other in regards to my attention. I always think there is room for both, and they nudge and elbow and try to get me to read the story they brought, not the other, first. What would they do if I had a new baby? (I wouldn't mind finding out..ha.)

Jonathan is home again, since I talked to the school nurse yesterday about him. He had a fever, so she didn't want to see him today, not until he is fever-free for 24 hours. He was glad to know in advance he was staying home. He has his polar bear jammies on, and is sucking his thumb and watching "SuperReaders". He is also playing with a Lego car, since he, like him mother, cannot do just one thing at a time.

Charlotte Claire is now fever-free, but is still BLAH. She has a cold, cough, and just doesn't seem herself. Since there are two of them with the same symtoms, though, I take comfort and am thinking it is a virus. I am dreading this though: Camille getting sick. Oh, Camille is so funny. She is SUCH a two-year-old. The other night at dinner, she wanted pepper and white pepper (salt) on her food. I let her put some pepper on because it goes on slowly. Not the salt though, she would totally oversalt her plate. So I helped her with the salt, or "white pepper"....no sir, she did not want help. She had a fit. Right there at the table, cried her little eyes out....the kids thought it was quite funny, which she didn't appreciate. Oh well. She got down from the table and didn't eat...then she wanted me, so I held her on my lap. After she is all done crying, I always talk to her about it and tell her it is not nice to be so fussy. And she is in total agreement. Last night, she had a little fit because she did not want me to put her jammies on her, she wanted to do it herself...now, she had already tried and gotten all twisted up, and it was bed time...past bed time....so, I just picked her up and started dressing her....oh my goodness, she acted like I was torturing her. She cried and fussed and kicked...I had to give her a little spank on the diaper and a firm NO to get her to calm down....and she did not like it. But she got ahold of herself....and then I held her, and after she put her thumb in and calmed down, she agreed she shouldn't be so bad when it is time to get jammies on....she just has to assert herself, and lots of times that is okay. But sometimes I just have to put my foot down. Like when she wants to stand on the Sit'nSpin in front of the stove when I am cooking. Absolutely not. Of course not. She might not like it , but of course not.

I matched socks last night. Oh my goodness, I matched a lot of socks. I quit with still a whole laundry basket of unmatched socks because Jon wanted to cuddle. Ha, and I WANTED to quit. Between Rosie bringing me the bunny that sings "Jesus Loves Me" to play fetch, over and over, and Camille trying to help me, I wasn't having too much fun sock matching anyway. I like the end result, but the process is painful. Hey, that sounds like a most of my life!

Abigail came over yesterday, which I truly love. She had to go to the bank, and would I like to go? Both Charlotte Claire and Jonathan were settled down on the couch with books and toys and watching tv, (times like these are when it is nice to have television), Charlotte Claire was actually dozing. Camille was bouncing off the walls, so we took her with us. ( Joseph watched the other two.) We went to DollarTree....it amazes me that things that cost only one dollar each can add up to so much money!!! Then we went to the other dollar store, RealDeals, and got a few things....then on to BigLots. I had to remember bandaids for Charlotte Claire, which was what she wanted...that alone is hilarious. "What would you like Mommy, who feels guilty about leaving you when you don't feel well, to bring you home, Sweetie?" "Bandaids!!!" Okay. Jon wanted a car. So I actually paid $4 for a battery operated MonsterTruck...and when I gave it to him and he was so happy about it, I was glad I did. Camille got fruit snacks, Tonka Truck shapes.

Today, I have to go out and about again, for just a bit....I have to bring Benjamin to the small city to get a copy of his birth certificate, which he lost, and to the Navy recruiter. He cannot go himself because all the vehicles are in use except for the BIG van, and he needs to go to his former college with the recruiter, and I don't want my van gone all day. I have all the kids in school, what if they get sick? Anyway, I have to leave for a bit. Again.

Excitement at school today: Bruce Coville, childrens' book author, is at their school for the day!!! I read one of his books, "Jeremy Thatcher Dragon Hatcher" years ago, it was good. The kids got to order some of his books, and he is signing them today. I actually let Suzanne take my camera ..... I would like to meet him myself. Because he has my dream job. Except for the 16 blessings, that is.

4 comments:

M said...

I HATE matching socks. I rarely wear socks that match due to that issue of mine.

Also? If I had a spare baby you know I'd send him or her to you in a heartbeat. You're such a kickass mama. You know I did tell my sister all about you once upon a time when all that was still up in the air.

You do still have options my friend if that itch is bad enough. There are SO MANY kids out there that could use a kick ass home. <3

Martha said...

My parents were given a newborn, of course this was back in 1957 when there were more babies available to adopt. Danny was just six days old.

mommeeof10 said...

I hate matching socks. I even bought all the kids last year different character socks. One had spiderman, one had power rangers, one had disney princesses. That way I could just throw their socks into their basket and they could match their own. Now we have 1 pair of Thomas the tank engine socks and 5 odd ones from the 6 pairs Sam had, 2 pairs of spider man socks and a few odd ones, etc. My boys are so hard on socks that they are always getting holes in at least one of each pair. I've started throwing out both socks if one of the pair has a hole. Less odd socks that way. :)

I only match hubby's dress socks, which I usually appropriate, as the girls borrow mine when they haven't matched any of their own.

sally said...

i know how you feel about the aching arm bit im 35 been trying for a baby for over 5 years we have had all the test done and all they did was cause me to get an infection that has distoryed my womb overies ect so i can never carry a baby this is heartbreacking cos all i ever wanted to do was have loads of kids and i have none we dont have much money so we cant get a surrogate cause we cant afford it and we look into adoption and thats not great as everything has changed here in britain so you cant even change the surname to match yours and you have to uinform the birth family of everything and they get visits with the birth family so the childs not your own and all i want to do is say this is our child so we gonna do fostering but all we want to do is have our own little bungle of joy someone to call me mummy and calum daddy its such a mess and i dont know what we are going to do as there seems to be no way out for us and our relationship is suffering because it all my fault