summer 2011

summer 2011

Paul and I, all 16 kids and Ashley, Benjamin's wife...Christmas 2012

Paul and I, all 16 kids and Ashley, Benjamin's wife...Christmas 2012
family

Saturday, March 27, 2010

happy saturday.....

We cannot go to the science museum, or out ot lunch, or even to the mall today. Charlotte Claire is still warm, and I am a bit worried about her. She is just blah. Sonja K. had a hard time adjusting her thinking to the fact that we ARE STAYING HOME today. Paul and all the older ones are gone to the NCAA tournament, and Sam is with Caleb at the science museum. Margaret is the oldest one here. So there are eight of mine here plus my two nieces.

I have four pizza doughs in the 'fridge and I am planning to cut them up so they can each have their own pizza to build. That will be fun,....sort of....more so if I was one of the kids and didn't have to clean up.....I find that I don't have much natural patience for letting the kids help. I can forsee (is that a word?) the spills and the holes in the dough and the too-much-cheese....but I have to let go sometimes. So in a way it is a suffering for me, but at the same time, I love working with them. They get such extreme joy out of doing things like that themselves.

Camille is growing out of her naps....she gets back up over and over again...then falls apart numerous times in the evening, and dinner time is a real treat....Charlotte Claire did the same thing, but she usually falls asleep on the couch in the afternoon.

I have been following a blog for a few months, written by a beautiful young girl with cystic fibrosis...she had a lung transplant and was in rejection. She was full of hope that she would get another pair of lungs in time, but it didn't happen, and she died this morning at 9:30. I obviously did not know her in person, but by reading her posts, I got to know her a bit, and I am so so sad for her family. She was an absolutely lovely and beautiful girl. If you want to go to Eva's blog at http://65redroses.livejournal.com/ you can see what I mean....

We had French Toast sticks and scrambled eggs and sausage and Lucky Charms for breakfast, and lunch was eggs and fajitas with cheese and with ham and tomatoes, and some peanut butter and jam sandwiches. The dishwasher has run twice, and a few girls are wandering in there again for snacks...

I am thinking chocolate. Suze is looking for some....not just chocolate chips, but something chocolate-y....I have 3 and a half bars of Norwegian chocolate (thank you Stine and Caroline!!!). I opened one up the other night when only a few of us were here, and yes, it is history. Then this morning I discovered that someone had gotten into another one and half is gone!! So I put them in my room. I don't mind sharing, but I would rather share when not so many kids are here....that is really mean, I know. But....yes, it is just plain mean. But....I at least want to be the BOSS of them, not just have one person eat a half a bar! Unless it is me, ha. I could go get one now....yes, I think I will.

And I should probably have a nice cup of coffee with it....

It is looking to be a fine afternoon after all!!

I just wanted to write about something else that is on my mind lately....

Marriage. I only have the one, so I am not an expert. But I do have some observations anyway....I have read magazine articles, especially about when there is a newborn in the house, about how it is not fair how HE doesn't help enough, or how HE at least gets up and changes the nursing baby, because SHE shouldn't have to do it all....and it seems they keep a tally of what the other one does, and get disgruntled when they do more....anyway, I was thinking that when you really love someone, you want to do as much as you can for them. You want to bless them. (It is written in Hebrews, 13 v. 16 "Do not forget to do good and to share, for such sacrifices God is well pleased.")(and yes, I did think of this a few minutes ago in reference to the chocolate!) So when I do good and I share, and God is well pleased with me, I am happy. And when HE has the same mind, oh it can be heavenly!!! It is a good work to bless the others, not expecting anything in return.

Life isn't actually that long, even if one lives to be old and frail...so why waste it serving myself? When I stand before God, I would like it to go something like this:

God: "I am well pleased with you. You gave up your own will and didn't give in to self-pity, you overcame in temptation, and you got victory over all the sin that I showed you. Well done, good and faithful servant."

Because it is also written in proverbs 29, v. 18: "Where there is no vision, the people perish."

So I have my work cut out for me....

2 comments:

Darla said...

What a good reminder for me! We live in a house that is small, filled to capacity, and a dad that does much, works long days, and provides for the family. The mom also works part time to try help support the family. So after many years of really not noticing or caring so much that the dad is not contributing so much to household duties, this mom has gotten a bit disgruntled at times to see how much the mom does and how (seemingly) little the dad does. SO, now time for the mom to quiet her self-serving thoughts and try harder to serve without tallying! :)

Anonymous said...

I agree with you.. makes me uncomfortable when I read "couple advices' that encourages you to keep tallies. It's not 50% and 50%, we are both 100% part of the couple so I do as much as I can to help the house run smoothly and to make sure my husband feels loved, and some days I don't get much back, but that's ok because those days I know he is extra stressed out by something, so he'll appreciate even more.. Marriage is not a contract, it's an alliance :)