summer 2011

summer 2011

Paul and I, all 16 kids and Ashley, Benjamin's wife...Christmas 2012

Paul and I, all 16 kids and Ashley, Benjamin's wife...Christmas 2012
family

Sunday, March 28, 2010

happy birthday to my pal...

I am going to dedicate this post to my friend Kim. I have known Kim for about 33 years. We were good friends in middle school, then became best friends in high school. When Kim was absent, the day became bleak and unbearable. When Kim was there, the day was a party. We did bad things. We left school and went to breakfast. We had too much fun. Then one Halloween night, Kim was dressed beautifully, in what exactly I do not know, but she was draped in sheets and had some killer eye make-up on....and my older brother fell in love with her. They got married in the week following our high school graduation. That means that my best friend is also my sister-in-law. She has twelve kids, and I talk to her on the phone almost every day. One would think after knowing someone for three decades one would know the exact birthdate, but I was ready to take her out to lunch on Friday, and she said, "Today's not my birthday....it is the 29th." oops. So tomorrow, my dear friend turns 45!!! (how can I be best friends with a 45 year old woman?ha) Her blog is http://kmomof10.blogspot.com so make sure you wish her a happy happy birthday!!!! Now I will further embarrass her....

1. Kim is a giver. She puts herself dead last.

2. Kim and my brother Tom allowed our brother Billy to live at their place, they served him and took care of him and loved him. For this alone I am eternally grateful for them.

3. Kim is flexible. I cannot count the times I have called her and she has said she has to stay home, and by the time we are hanging up the phone, we have made arrangements to go somewhere.

4. She and I disagree about things, naturally. But always in a good way. I know I have been a jerky friends many times with my strong opinions, but she has never held it against me.

5. No matter what we have to discuss with each other, we are always still friends.

6. She has gone through some very difficult times....one of her daughters is a cancer survivor, she was diagnosed when she was only 2 years old, had a bone marrow transplant and radiation and chemo....Carrie is 15 now, and a total miracle.

7. She is going to be a grandmother this summer!

8. She gets way less sleep than I do, and somehow she functions. She doesn't complain half as much as I do about it, either.

9. She took up knitting after Billy died, more than took it up. It took HER up, and she has amazing talent. She taught herself, and has made some beautiful things....

10. We are both in the same church, so we are not just friends, but true sisters, and we have a deep connection because of that. We have fellowship in God's word.

So, Kim, I hope I have not embarrassed you overly much, as I do love you, my friend....and I will probably see you and talk to you, but HAPPY HAPPY BIRTHDAY!!!!!

3 comments:

Kim said...

This is an awesome birthday present. What a way to make a GIRL cry! (and yes, I still think of myself as a girl...a young, skinny, fresh faced girl....let me dream!)

Meeting you is one of the best things to have happened in my life. Not only because it allowed me to fall in love your awesome brother. Or that our relationship was the pathway for me finding God's calling for me. But because you are truly a remarkable person. I could never fully express how much you mean to me. Nor how much you have given me these last 30 odd years (WOW!!!)

I love you!

16 blessings'mom said...

Jeesh, Kim, way to make ME cry! I am hoping you are having a nice birthday, in spite of sadness about Billy. I loves you too!

cheryl said...

Aww, I can't help it.. can I cry, too?? How very sweet, and how very true what you've said about Kim!! You are both very fortunate, and I feel blessed by you both, too! God is good..