summer 2011

summer 2011

Paul and I, all 16 kids and Ashley, Benjamin's wife...Christmas 2012

Paul and I, all 16 kids and Ashley, Benjamin's wife...Christmas 2012
family

Monday, January 17, 2022

guess what's sneaking back into my life?!

 Mmmm hmmm, I can taste my coffee!!!!  It's much more subtle, but it's there!  I sniffed the Tide the other day, as I go around sniff-sniff-sniffing everything, and I could detect a hint of that lovely laundry freshness, and yay!  I ground up those coffee beans, and got a whiff of yum, yay!  

Tasting things is back too, but not glaringly so.  It's different, it's muted.  I hope it comes blaring back, full strength, but hey, even if it doesn't, I'm pretty happy here, enjoying the coffee!

It was so bad, when it was gone, I couldn't even detect a hint of mint with toothpaste, there was the menthol feeling in my mouth, but no smell at all.  So it's a joy to have it back, subtle as it is.

Yesterday, we had last minute plans to have some of the older kids over...some we haven't seen since Christmas, because of the sickness we had here.  (We've been hanging out with Margaret and Adrian and Wulf and Tennyson right along, because they got it at the same time as we did, and Evelyn, too).  So Emily and Abigail and Mariel were coming over, and Molly with her little girls, Lydia and Ophelia.  Yay, I was cleaning the house and humming some happy songs, then Jonathan tried to start his car...he has a Volkswagen with closer to 3k miles than 2, and it wouldn't start.  He determined he needed a new battery, and had to go to the suburbs...well, I had looked at grocery ads online, and one of the stores had sirloin steak for $3.99 a pound...in these days of inflation, burger costs almost that much!  Perfect, I could go with him, he could drop me at the grocery store, get his battery, and pick me up!

I was able to get nine pounds of steak, a giant cookie birthday cake marked $5, some fresh donuts, a loaf of pheasant bread, fresh from the oven, for $2, and some fresh broccoli and cauliflower.  (I cut up potatoes, sweet potatoes, carrots, tossed in olive oil and salt and pepper, roasted in the oven, added the broccoli and cauliflower to roast a bit, and mmm.)

Emily's birthday is tomorrow, so we decided last minute to celebrate it!  I had gotten her a few things already, so why not?  She brought her guitar, Margaret her violin, Evelyn her flute, and Camille got out her violin, Paul his mandolin, and they played music again...it's so nice.

The flaw in the grilled-steak-in-January idea:  the cold wind!  It was freezing out!  I threw it all on the grill, cranked the flames for a bit, flipped it once, then piled it all on one side with the top closed, burners on low, other side on high, then went back in the house for a few minutes...Abigail casually said, "Wow, the grill is on fire!"...oops.  I managed to get them all off, and would you believe they came out perfect?  There was some well done, for those of us who don't like to eat it still mooing, and plenty red and rare, with some in between.  It was truly a feast, we don't eat steak very often, it was tender and good.


I didn't take an after picture, but it came out beautifully.  

We sat around the table solving the world's problems and laughing about times past.  The grand kids were busy playing with dollhouse stuff, blocks, and ride-ons.  The living room was absolutely strewn and littered with toys, and I said, it's like days goneby.  This is how it looked ALL THE TIME, way back when...

I didn't take enough pictures, of course...

Happy birthday Emily, my sweet girl, the one who made me a mama 37 years ago...
Ophelia...Molly and Josh's little girl.  Lydia was here too, and oops, I didn't get a pic of her.
This is blurry but I like it,  Paul and Molly looking at a silly dog cartoon.
Adrian, and Abigail with Tennyson...Tenny is such a happy little guy!

And, we had a snowstorm last night, and are staying put at home today.  It's very cozy.  Paul took the day off to go ice fishing, but I guess there's such a thing as it being too windy and snowy to do that.  So he has a fire going in the furnace, and it's nice and warm in here.

The problem with having my taste back is that now I want to taste everything, just what I need, ha.  I made a huge crockpot of beef stew on Saturday, and the girls had gone out and about with Evelyn...came in the door with food from Chik-fil-A, so they weren't hungry.  I couldn't really taste yet, but there is so much left, and it's what's for dinner tonight, so I'm looking forward to dinner, oink oink ha.    

My son-in-laws who are brothers, Adrian (Margaret's husband), and Darius (Kathryn's husband) lost their grandpa yesterday, he joined their Grandma in heaven, she had just passed a few months ago.  Their grandparents had seventeen kids, and I don't even know how many grandchildren.  They lived in Winnipeg, (Canada), where Adrian and Darius are from.  Adrian was quite sad, as his grandpa was as quiet and meek as a lamb, but had faith like a roaring lion, he was tender and good and patient...he's obviously in a better place now, but it's still sad to say goodbye.

Sonja is having a nice time out in Oregon, we miss her though.  Emily is planning to bring Charlotte Claire on a trip out there sometime soon.  I don't like having the some of the kids so far away, but I am so thankful that we can at least stay in touch so easily, and I can see the grandkids on the screen.  

Ah well...thank you all for being so nice to me, so encouraging and supportive.  I appreciate it more than you'll ever know....



6 comments:

Unknown said...

Hi Della! GREAT news about your taste and smell returning 🥳🥳🥳 You must be happy about that! I saw on GMA this morning about the foul weather happening over your way …….. ug……….The weather has been shocking everywhere lately it seems. Old Mother Nature seems to be in a constant snit!! Your supper sounds lovely…………I have some stewing beef in the freezer and I’m going to make some Guinness Stew…..if I can find some Guinness. There wasn’t any a couple of weeks ago. It is SO DELCIOUS and even better the second day. 😋😋😋

Have a lovely cozy day 🥰

Marilyn from Canada 🇨🇦

Linda said...

I am so sorry and extending my condolences to Adrian and Darius...so sad. On a happy note, awesome sauce about getting your taste back, grin. Thank you for sharing your day with me / us...yeah, yeah, yeah, I think I am special and you're talking to me, grin and laughter. Wishing a happy birthday!!!

Carol said...

So glad that you are getting your taste and smell back.

16 blessings'mom said...

Marilyn, Guinness stew sounds so good, never had it, but a nice glass of Guinness itself is amazing! Remember a few years back, Mariel and I went to Ireland and discovered how much we actually like beer? :). It's hard to find a lot of things on the shelves these days, hopefully it'll get better! And yes, cold and snowy...we didn't get as much as was forecast, but are making up for it now, Lake Effect, it's a white-out...
Linda, I was talking to you!!!! You are special, and I'm very glad that I've gotten to "know" you!
Carol, thank you, it's amazing, what a gift!

Terri D said...

Hooray for getting your taste and smell back!! I have stew meat in the freezer I need to use. Every time you mention stew I think about it so need to go put it in the fridge to start thawing!! I love that you had a full house and a birthday celebration!! xo

Betty said...

So glad you can smell again I must admit that was my biggest fear which made me feel a bit guilty as some people have much worse problems. Having and recovering makes you so thankful and aware of the small everyday things. So happy for you. Condolences to your son in law. Cold here in florida 37 this morning but this too shall pass. Have a great week