summer 2011

summer 2011

Paul and I, all 16 kids and Ashley, Benjamin's wife...Christmas 2012

Paul and I, all 16 kids and Ashley, Benjamin's wife...Christmas 2012
family

Wednesday, January 26, 2022

....the calm after the storm, before the storm....

 ...I'm the first to admit that I'm not really very busy these days, just in fits and starts.  Yesterday was busy. After putting away the groceries, having a cup of afternoon coffee, and making dinner, it was time to get out the door again.  I brought dollhouse stuff,  a lot of it, to Activity Club.  (They LOVED it).

It snowed at least 3-4 inches while we were at AC, the drive home...wow.  

It wasn't snowing so much in this one, but so much snow on the road!

When it's really coming down, you can't tell where the road even is!

But ahh, we made it home, safe and sound, and shh, I had a few Hershey Kisses...and my comfy chair, in my sweater and slippers, just like an old gram-mah.  

Today is cold.  I stole this pic from Emily:


-18.8C, pretty chilly.  


(hint:  if you leave the cover off your grill in the winter, it will freeze on the ground next to the grill, and you won't be able to cover that grill again until it thaws....we do use the grill sometimes though, and when it's covered, good luck getting it uncovered to use it...)

Anyway, we're having a break from the snow today, with blue skies, and temperatures going up to about 13.  Tonight, even colder than last night, then perhaps...a nor'easter this weekend.  

But really, who cares about the weather?  It's winter, it's January, it's typical.  

One thing I'm trying to do is move more.  I walk around and around the kitchen/living room circle, walk backwards, do leg lifts, a few push ups here and there, just move.  I don't WANT to, but I know it's good for me.  Oh, I am lazier than the day is long, and I would like nothing more than to just stay in the comfy chair...ha.

We did go to the library the other day, and when I have library books, look out.  

One thing I have to do is start thinking about what I'm going to pack for Florida.  I'm looking SO forward to the vacation, but not looking forward to my blindingly white jiggles being on display.  I need to try on a few things, and throw them in the wash, as they haven't been worn since last summer, so I can't wait until the very last minute.  

I try to look at things like this:  I'm the lady who makes the other ladies feel not so bad about themselves!  

Ah well, at the end of the day, who really cares?  As long as I can keep up with my girls, as we aren't renting a car, there will be a lot of walking involved.  Shh, I'm not going to be a big complainer, either, I don't want them to think that Mom is too old and rickety to bring along ha.  

Sad thing:  I ordered four different dresses for this trip, and all of them went back.  Two were hideous on me, sleeveless dresses with gaping armholes, snug around the belly, horrid.  Two were lovely, I absolutely loved them, except for they were scoop necked, scooped like a greedy scooper just got carried away and scooped down too much fabric.  I loved them so much, that I tried on four different bra-lettes/sports bras, to wear underneath, bought one, tried it on at home with a dress, and nah, still looked PG-13.  Woe to all if I had to lean over in it.  

Online shopping...it all looks so nice, and then you get to wait, anticipate the delivery...then try it on, and....oh.  dang.  

It can be addicting though, and I'm ashamed to say I love that thrill of knowing something is coming for me in the mail.   (Calvin and Hobbes:  Calvin sent for the beanie on the back of the cereal box, checked that mailbox every day, then it came...and it was just an ordinary hat with a little propeller on it.  It didn't make him fly.)

New stuff, such a snare.  

Today is a chicken soup day.  Pot pie would also be good, but we have a fresh baguette they need to eat, so chicken soup it is.  I'm defrosting some pork chops that are marinating in lime juice, salt and pepper, they'll be on the table tomorrow night with some roasted veggies and apple sauce.  Friday, pizza...and a few chicken wings in the air fryer.  

Ah well, one of my other older kids who doesn't live here anymore has Covid, and just to hush hush the one lady from the peanut gallery who blamed me for my grandkids getting sick, this one is fully vaccinated.   But it doesn't matter if I include that little snippet, because she's had it with me, and is done, so she doesn't read my blathering anymore....sorry for the snark!  But apparently not sorry enough to erase it, you're thinking!    These days it's become public info: vax status, Covid status, and sometimes people still want privacy.  My blog, but not always my story.  But please, pray for this older child of mine...as there are special circumstances.

They grow up and move out, and still have full possession of mama's heart.  How I can love each one of them with my whole heart is beyond me, but God can do amazing things.  

Betty, I've been praying for your brother, I hope he's faring okay...what times we live in!  Every day is a fight of faith!


9 comments:

Betty said...

Thank you for the prayers he continues to improve supplemental oxy. Down from 12 to 7 he is eating well. Labs so far looking good,we talk on phone daily . God bless the nurses at crouse irving. I so appreciate your continued prayers and I will add your child to my prayer journal. Very cold here in florida Saturdays high only 46, rained all day yesterday and cloudy today. My husband and I call them Syracuse days! I shouldn't complain as it is better than the minus temps. Blessings to you

A Housewife said...

The fully vaccinated are the ones primarily getting sick right now according to the latest numbers. I'm wondering if the ones who have not taken part in the experimental long term study have built up their immune systems pretty well at this point. I know people who have worked with the public every single day (retail) for 2 years and have yet to get sick or haven't gotten sick since the original version way back in the winter of 2019/2020. Literally dealing with 500-1000 people a day during the quarantines (and for the first 6-8 months no masks, etc. before they were implemented later that summer). The last I heard the CDC also has zero record of anyone with the natural version (verses the spike protein of the mRna shot) having gotten it, recovered, and gotten sick again. Although those who opt for the experimental shot do get sick even after fully vaccinated and boosted. So... it is what it is. This virus just effects everyone differently - from symptoms to seriousness to length - and it doesn't care what side of the shots you are on. :)

Anonymous said...

I saw a story in our town newspaper about one of our state officials testing positive. I thought, how is this news? Why is this news? We're going so far beyond what's any of our business in this country. So sad. I'll be praying for your sick child!
Valerie

Billie Jo said...

You know, we would be wonderful neighbors! We are so much alike! I wouldn't know where to begin with warm weather clothes! I live in leggings and sweatshirts! Have a cozy evening. Prayers for all your intentions, my friend.

Unknown said...

Hi Della, this is my second go. I wasn’t signed into Google or something 🙄 That happens once in a while and I write on your blog and it won’t post!

Anyhew………….I think little Elise looks very much like Camille………both cutie pies 😊 it sounds like you had fun with her! I used to love playing with the toys and colouring too. So much fun when they are little. How is dear little Grant doing? I hope he’s all better now.

Scary driving in that sort of weather 😬😬😬😬 We’ve had quite a few days of that……….😬

Don’t you just hate it when you buy something on line that looks so pretty and when you get it……its SUCH a disappointment !!! I have a sundress on its way so we’ll see what it looks like. I’ve seen a lovely bathing suit I’d like to order from the same company, but want to see the dress first. My daughter said to wait till I get to Hawaii to get one. Target there has hundreds she said!! I’m like you….white jiggly bits 🙄 My friend says “suck it up sunshine……..you could be lying in your sick bed………..and this is true! Enjoy getting ready for Florida!! Half the fun is looking forward to it …………..I hope this posts…….

Marilyn from Canada 🇨🇦

Joni said...

I rarely comment here, but will today. I love your blog! It’s the only one I read anymore. I get busy and forget there is such a thing as blogger. A month or two might even go by; then it somehow comes to mind, and I can’t wait to check in! Feels like I’m checking in with an old friend (well, not a friend who is old, because we are almost exactly the same age and by gum, that’s not old! Ha!) Anyway- I just read up on all your posts since before Christmas. I must be a bit dense, because I was scratching my head wondering what in the world all these folks are getting up in arms about your ‘political’ posts. I suppose it’s because I think so much in alignment with your thoughts, but I wasn’t seeing what they find as offensive. We all have our thoughts and opinions, and if we we don’t agree it makes sense to move along to something that brings us joy instead!

Mari said...

I've been cold all day and am now sitting under my heated blanket. It was 5 degrees when I was going to work this morning, so it's colder by you.
I have noticed that so many tops have those deep scoop necks. Why do they do that? We don't all want to show everything!
I say good riddance to your peanut gallery lady.

Diana said...

I haven't worn swim wear since high school, never liked how I looked in it. I'm just not comfortable showing ANYTHING lol. Can't swim anyway, so it doesn't matter. // I tried online shopping at the beginning of this thing, but Jerry and I both said nope not again. We have to see and feel the clothing in person, especially me with my fibromyalgia, so much gives me heeby jeeby skin issues. // Eventually they who inhabit the peanut gallery will see and hear the truth. More and more evidence is being presented every day, soooo... whatever with them. I don't even listen to them anymore. // I keep movong all the time too, living for Spring right now so I can go back to gardening! Hugs and blessings to you, Della!

16 blessings'mom said...

Betty, there's a very good chance that your brother has met up with my daughter Emily, she an NP and works at Crouse in pulmonary care. Of course I would never ask her about a patient, nor would she tell me, but if he has seen her, he's gotten some love. I'm so glad to hear he's doing better, and God bless those nurses. I keep thinking "more bricks less straw", there are less nurses and more work. (Syracuse days, love it!)
No, the virus doesn't care what side of the shot you are on, but it certainly seems to prefer the vax-ed right now. The Covid I experienced was not fun, but it was absolutely better than having the injection of spike protein, to me, and I'm thankful that I have been able to choose that, thankful that I have that right, and thankful that I didn't get extremely ill or worse. Where there is risk, there has to be a choice, that is such a true statement!
Valerie, I know! What in the heck happened to medical privacy?!
Billie Jo, I know, we would make good neighbors, but I'm glad we can at least be blog neighbors. I haven't done any of my packing yet...it's hard to try on the sundress when it's 3 degrees out..
Marilyn, you've successfully commented! Grant is doing fine. He's had to be out of daycare for ten days, which still has to be paid for, but his daddy has to miss work, which he doesn't get paid for, so it's been rough. But, at least he's fine. I am excited for you, Hawaii! I was supposed to go with my California son in March 2020, but we all know what interfered. Then we were scheduled to go a few weeks ago, but the flights got canceled...I wouldn't have been able to go anyway. Maybe next year...I would love to go in a Hawaiin Target!
Joni, I was believe we aren't that old until you said, "by gum". :). I think some people find it offensive these days when some don't agree with the general narrative. There's a spirit out there that rejoices in others' tribulations, and if someone speaks out against the vaccines, then gets covid and dies, they almost dance on the grave, in the media. If you dare to be different, they trounce on you. There is one way, and one way only. This whole new censorship is actually quite chilling. Anyway, I'm glad you like your visits here, I love nice comments:)
Mari, brrr! I have a space heater blowing on me right now, it was below zero last night, and the house is chilly. We switched to a propane furnace a few years ago, and propane has gone up so much! Scoop necks: when your cleavage goes right up to your chin, dang. And I actually feel sorry for the peanut gallery lady...but I can do without the contentiousness.
Diana, I don't actually swim much, but I love getting in the water, and moving, because I can move in the water like I cannot on land, it feels great. I also get way too hot on the beach if I can't get in the water. My swimsuits are old lady suits, swim dresses. I thought that maybe some day I'd lose enough weight that I would wear a regular one again, but it's hard enough to appear in these swim dresses, ha. I can understand the heeb-y jeeb-y skin issues thing: my mother had a thing against velour, (and peaches), she used the same exact term: heeb-y jeebies. And....spring....ahhhh, can't wait!!!