summer 2011

summer 2011

Paul and I, all 16 kids and Ashley, Benjamin's wife...Christmas 2012

Paul and I, all 16 kids and Ashley, Benjamin's wife...Christmas 2012
family

Sunday, January 9, 2022

well, the good thing is:

I might be able to lose a few pounds!  Weight loss, the underlying battle I've waged for years now, might just have gotten easier, as I can't taste anything, so black coffee, yeah!  

Is it apparent that I'm desperately trying to look on the bright side of this?  I absolutely hate not being able to taste and smell.  There is just such a vacancy!  The pleasure in that first sip of hot creamy coffee, I hope that comes back...

Dinner last night:  sizzling skirt steak tortillas, with all the yummies for toppings.  Margaret and Sonja made dinner, I could hear the steak sizzling, but I couldn't smell it!  I ate a few bites, but it almost feels wasteful to eat it when I can't enjoy it!  So I had leftover chicken soup.  I had some popcorn, which is still fun to crunch, if you like chomping on styrofoam.  

In the big Covid scheme of things though, these complaints are teeny tiny annoyances.  I'm thankful we're doing all right, of course, and that my lungs are still clear.  It's the old how can I complain about THIS when THIS is happening...we can always minimalize our own sufferings because they are nothing compared to what someone else is going through...but at the end of the day, they are still our sufferings.  

I had a tired mom say to me once, "I can't believe I'm complaining about lack of sleep to you, when I have only one child."  What?!  Tired is tired!  You are entitled to your fatigue!  It's not nothing, just because you're comparing it!  

Anyway.  You'd think I'd drunk an entire bottle of Off On A Tangent.  

I read my daughters a few of the comments from readers, and the said they agreed that they don't like when I'm political, they can see where the commenters are coming from.  Fair enough.  I don't always like me, either.  But, I told them, when I sit down and write, the only way I can really do it is to imagine NO ONE reading it.  I just write what I think, and that's it.  I can't sit here and try to decide what would please whom, or I would freeze up.     

The funny thing is that I actually hate politics.  I do.  I mostly care that we're allowed to live in freedom, go where we want to go, do what we want to do....say what we want to say...and I realize that when you put yourself out there, there will always be push-back.   The pulling my mask down while I sipped my coffee in the airport being equated with a levity toward Covid, killing all the grandmas.  If there was a grandma within twenty feet of me, I'd do anything to protect that grandma.  I remember after my mother died, I was in K-Mart, and the old lady in front of me had hands like my mother's...old, wrinkled hands, and I just stood there crying, I wanted to reach out and hold one of those hands, it was weird and freaky.  Old people break my heart, and of course I don't want them to get sick and die.  Sick babies seem to be all my fault too, and Lord knows I couldn't love babies more.  

It's rainy and icy here in central NY state.  The orange kitty wanted to go out, I opened the door and he ran out onto the deck, sliding sideways, it was SO funny.  We're getting more snow later in the day, it's not like we're going anywhere ha.  

I do feel better than yesterday, stuffy, but not too shabby.  I hope to heal up quickly, as there is a teeny tiny Florida trip coming up at the end of the month with some daughters of mine, who are kind enough to include their old mama in their vacation plans!  Remember we had tickets to Hawaii, which were cancelled back when all the airlines first cancelled so many flights?  The girls have time off, so we're just going to Florida....:)


16 comments:

Martha said...

So tell me. How do you drink coffee without pulling your mask down? And why do they sell it in the airport if they don't expect you to drink it? Are you not a grandma yourself several times over?

Maureen said...

I am so sorry you are not feeling well. Losing taste and smell is really awful. I think sometimes we forget that eating is a joy - it is something most of us look forward to! As to all of the political stuff, it seems to me that there is very little nuance any more. I am not sure many of us are all or nothing on very many issues yet it seems that we are more and more being pitted against each other in such a way. That saddens me greatly. So little in this life is black and white and I wish we were able to see a lot more of the grey areas with kindness and love.

I wish you better health with each passing moment. Sickness is difficult. Yes, someone is always going to have it worse, but suffering is suffering and it can be hard to endure! Seems like you are trying to do it with a cheerful heart!

16 blessings'mom said...

Martha, you win the internet today! Love you!!!!
Maureen, you are very wise. Thank you!

Kanadiangirl said...

Just keep being you and hang those others. Ugh! I love your blog,ESPECIALLY because you are brutally honest and because there. Are. No. Ads.

Unknown said...

Hi Della! You know the old saying …….you can please some of the people some of the time, and you can please some of the people all of the time, but you can’t please all of the people all of the time……… Also these people who are commenting have their opinions! Are you not allowed to have yours? Anyway 🙄

It would be awful not to taste and smell, but if that’s the worst of it that’s not too bad. BTW I drink my coffee black and love it. 😉

Continue to all get better. Chicken soup is THE.BEST. MEDICINE!! 🥰

Marilyn from Canada 🇨🇦

16 blessings'mom said...

Marilyn, my mother used to say that ALL OF THE TIME! She also used to say things like, "If all of your friends were sticking their heads in the toilet, would you do it too?" She had so many little nuggets, thank you for bringing her to mind. I know what you're saying, and I agree, if losing taste and smell are the worst of it, oh well, that is so true. I need to drink my coffee black anyway, too much heavy cream makes Della heavy too.
Chicken soup actually sounds so good, I might have to make another batch.... thank you, Marilyn. :)

Mari said...

I had covid last Spring, lost taste and smell and had no appetite. I lost some pounds - but they came back! :)
I say write what you want - it's your blog!

Busy Bee Suz said...

I'm so sorry you picked up this nasty virus. We've been under the weather as well, but didn't lose the sense of taste or smell. I had heard that those symptoms weren't part of this newest variant, but alas, there are no rules with this, right?

Anyhoo, I hop you are feeling better soon. I know you have lots of hands helping around, so take them up and rest yourself.

Anonymous said...

Della, you have some very intelligent daughters. Coffee is the very best. Sorry you can’t smell or taste it. That would totally stink in my book. Hope you and the family recover very shortly. Della, F … you… fantastic you… it’s all in the eyes of the beholder.

Terri D said...

I am glad you are still feeling 'okay' and are staying positive about the virus. Also hope you are able to do the Florida trip! If you come anywhere near Lakeland, do let me know!! Would love to say hello in person! Have a healing week ahead!! xo

Anonymous said...

Della, I’ve been reading your blog since the beginning and I have twins who are Jonathan’s age. I also live in New York. I’m down south a bit from you. That being said, I’ve always loved your positive attitude. Unfortunately, reading the political shift your blog has taken is triggering. I knew you’d be conservative and a Republican but you’re a hypocrite when saying you care. If you cared about others, you wouldn’t be so blasé about spreading this virus. Your jokes about family trips to the store and across the country make me cringe. Now you have spread this horrible virus to God knows how many people.

And don’t get me started on the horrible way you speak of others who aren’t in your circle. “Let’s go Brandon”???? Makes you sound so ignorant. I hope you find some peace in that freedom. Freedom can have consequences. The consequences for you is a black heart. You believe God looks out for you? He also sends messages to watch out for a deadly virus!! I can’t believe you. You need to do some serious soul searching. I’m glad you can’t smell your coffee. Serves you right. There’s God’s message to you. Have a nice life.

Linda said...

Yikes on certain comments here...you are a human being and certainty entitled to your opinion. Even when a Christian, we still have thoughts that spill over and God knows this, even as Christians we do have faults- that is the human trait btw. Shaking my head---and for those who prefer to remain Anonymous, at least I own up to my thoughts. Why are you folks hiding? Perhaps the truth hits a little too hard, right? BTW, your latest Anonymous comment--that is not a very Christian thing to say---how mean and spiteful; "I’m glad you can’t smell your coffee. Serves you right. There’s God’s message to you. Have a nice life."

Della, write what you want too, ok? I am so sorry there are mean folks out there. But this Earth is populated with evil, and I think you know this/that. The devil is roaming free and happy right now, just saying.

AND P.S. Thanks--I almost spat out my coffee in your response to me telling you to delete my comment, LOLOL...Gosh, you're on to me, LOLOLOLOL. Keeping you in prayer, sweet friend.

16 blessings'mom said...

Mari, I'm glad to hear your senses came back, but sorry the pounds did too! That's no fair!
Suz, I know, it's not part of the deal! Camille has lost hers too, poor girl.
Anonymous, I know, coffee is the best, and thank you.
Terri, I think I'm getting better, but it's sure taking a while. I am not sure our plans take us near Lakeland, but if they do, I'll let you know, I'd love a visit with you!
Anonymous:
1. I am not a Republican.
2. I have spread this virus nowhere, as I never had it until last week. My trips across the country were taken when I wasn't sick.
3. If I took family trips to the store, and DIDN'T joke about them, would it be okay with you?
4. I'm disheartened that you are so gleeful at my suffering.
5. "Have a nice life" indicates that you are done with me, which is probably a good thing.
6. You are lucky to have twins Jonathan's age, Jonny has been the biggest blessing, I can't imagine having two 17 year olds, what fun!
7. If you simply can't stay away, please leave your name next time, as when people post anonymously, it makes me SO want to nickname them......and I'm trying to behave. :)
8. Is the black heart something you've seen before, or am I the first?
9. I'm done here for now, signing off before I say things I don't mean, it's just too easy ha.

Cassandra said...

I am honestly shocked at some of the comments here. I have never seen your blog as too political, even if I didn't agree with you what you are saying is not negative or too far, its real. It is what is happening now. Life is hard. I don't understand why so much anger from people who don't agree with you. We say "Let's Go Brandon" ALL the time because we are done. We are done with our country being destroyed and suffering. It has nothing to do with __ Joe Biden. I do wonder if the people who are so opposed to that saying were opposed to the "Not my President" "F---- Trump" and all the other multitude of quotes we heard every time we turned on the tv for the last 4 yrs?
It is okay to speak your opinion on your blog. Please don't tone down your thoughts, you will still have plenty of readers!

As to the Covid, I hope you get your smell and taste back fast! I did the same and drank black coffee when I couldn't taste it..why waste the calories? As soon as I could smell again I was super excited, it still doesn't feel quite normal after 4weeks but hoping it gets all better!

Cassandra said...

As to the whole mask thing, by now all adults should understand that you need to cover your mouth and nose when you cough and sneeze and wash your hands. Beyond that unless someone is within spitting range and you can't talk without spitting...you aren't spreading any germs! It doesn't come out in your breath! No one is killing grandmas and babies. I find it odd we never blamed others when grandmas and babies die from flu and other viruses every year it was a sad, unfortunate and tragic thing but we didn't blame the person next door for not getting their flu shot or not masking up. (and no I am not comparing covid with flu, just the fact it is spread in the same manner).

Cheryl said...

My take on reading all of these mostly extremely nice comments from your readers.. sounds like someone is jealous! Jealous of your freedom (no one should have it!), your optimistic outlook (because, how could you??), your faith to be content (no one should be content, impossible!), and your sense of humor (seriously, not allowed!), and your ability to make up your own mind (again, not allowed!!)
I'm saddened by those who make conclusions about the state of another's heart, especially if they are using standards set by their own hearts. And we can only be friends, or love only those who agree with us politically??? Sounds like Jesus was mistaken!
I really hope you DON'T let all of this bother you, I know you aren't out to change anyone's mind. Hearts, maybe!?!?! Hearts and hugs to you, Della.