summer 2011

summer 2011

Paul and I, all 16 kids and Ashley, Benjamin's wife...Christmas 2012

Paul and I, all 16 kids and Ashley, Benjamin's wife...Christmas 2012
family

Wednesday, January 12, 2022

....I'm back!!!!

 We are doing much better, thank you for the kind thoughts and words, and prayers.  I still can't taste or smell, but the cough is much much better, and the stuffiness is improving each day.  I haven't had a fever in several days, and have slept quite well.  Paul only got a bit of a scratchy throat, then got better, probably because he was sick last March.  

Over the last few days I've thought a bit about the blog, and have decided a few things, so in no particular order, as usual:

1.  If you don't leave your name, I won't print your comment, last names are not necessary, just a first name. (unless it's a nice comment, ha!)  One reason for this is if you've been exasperated with me and stated you are done with me, then you certainly don't want to be commenting anymore!  

2.  Comments that are not nice will not make it through moderation.   You can disagree, state the other side, or point things out that I've not noticed, but be nice.

3.  One of the problems some people have had with the blog is that it has become "increasingly political".  This is complicated, because our lives have become increasingly political.   I've never liked unnecessary rules or infringements on rights, this hasn't changed.

4.  One commenter insists that I "might have spread this virus around to other people"...but you cannot spread a virus that you do not have.  This commenter also stated how I've been insensitive to those who have lost loved ones to Covid, by stating all the "fun" that we're all having at home while sick with Covid. If you've read here for any length of time, you'll know that no matter what befalls us, I try to make it fun.  Through the years of being a mama, I've discovered that most of life is doing what you really don't want to do...the appointments, waiting in lines, driving here and there, and the work!  The endless work!  But having a positive attitude, making the most of the little trials in life, in the mundane, in the drudgery of life, that's what brings happiness.  In the beginning of the lockdown, when the world was shaking in fear of the unknowns, I battled that fear as well, but I also decided that we were going to make the most of our time.  The fact that we did puzzles, played endless games of Catan, watched new shows together, went for drives around the different Finger Lakes, went on walks and hikes, and yes, trips to Target didn't mean we were disrespecting anyone.  It's known now how mental health declined when people were isolated from each other, especially in children.   I was determined that even if my kids couldn't go to school, or be with their friends, we were going to enjoy our days, because:  this is life.  There is only the one ride through it...and each day matters.   

   (My mother had breast cancer when I was in high school. She never got a driver's license, so either my grumpy dad drove her for her chemo, or she took the bus...I went with her  when she took the bus.  We had to walk several blocks to catch the bus, then got off in downtown Syracuse, and walked several blocks, up a huge-0 hill, to Upstate University hospital, where she got her treatments.  I don't remember a tiny whiff of complaining from her.  She made it all into a huge adventure.  She never got bored, in fact she didn't allow us kids to be bored, it was sort of crime, in her book.  So even waiting at the bus stop in the cold, when she must have felt horrible, she played games with me, like, What Do They Do For A Living.  She could whip out an entire life story for a lady who walked by, it was great fun to me....me, who didn't actually realize how much she must have been suffering.  She simply didn't believe in complaining, she liked life, and she liked to live life.  This is Off On A Tangent on steriods, I win Off On a Tangent!!!!  Anyway, this is how I choose to live my life too, in thankfulness for each day....)

5.  Hands down, the best thing about this blog is the goodness and kindness of the readers.  

6.  Writing without thinking about anyone reading it is very therapeutic, and I try to just forget who reads, while I write, so I can write freely.  When I offend, it's not meant to offend, as I wouldn't purposely hurt anyone.  But also, I don't want to be restrained by caring what people think of me.  I do not seek to please man, because then I could not please God.  Does that make sense?  

7.  Our health, our bodies, and what we choose to put into them should NOT be a political issue.  You know me, I dither and hither just to take a Tylenol, cannot tolerate nasal spray (my heart races!), alcohol in any but the smallest quantities, even antibiotics have given me trouble (heart issues with Ciprofloxen).  I can't take Sudafed, or Benadryl.  I don't take heartburn meds because of the side effects, nor the Naproxen the dr. gave for my arthritis.  I do not like side effects, I don't like putting things into my body.  I take my vitamins, and yes, I take the Tylenol or ibuprofen when I absolutely have to, because:  migraines.  

8.  My little granddaughter Ophelia has turned two years old!  I hope to visit with her this weekend and give her some birthday presents.  

9.  Kathryn and Darius and little Achilles and Rhys will be coming for a visit next month!!!!

10. Sonja K. is going to Oregon tomorrow, to visit Kathryn and Darius and the kids.

11. Our quarantine is officially over!  Yay!

12. No matter what anyone says, this does not make sense:  in NY state, the unvaccinated nurses and healthcare professionals were fired, now if you're Covid positive and you're needed at work, well you had better get yourself in, sick or not!   

There is definitely a huge uptick in cases here in our county.  I think the fully vaccinated here are about 50% of the population,(about 60% with at least one jab).  It's very contagious, but it generally seems to be more mild, which is something to be thankful for.  (...and I did not "make up" these numbers, you can look them up yourself at Cayuga County)

13. We are getting some extremely cold weather this weekend.  Paul is ecstatic, the lakes are freezing, so ice fishing!  

14. I am glad to be recovering so well, because less than three weeks until our Ft. Lauderdale vacation!  You have no idea how nice it is that my older daughters think to bring me along on their vacations!  To raise children, and have them grow up and be your actual friends, wow.  I am super thankful for this.  Of course when you have 16 kids, you can't bring everyone all the time, if I were rich, we'll, we'd all go.  We have been talking about having all eleven of the girls (and me!), and the sister-in-laws go on a weekend away sometime...that'd be fun!

15.  The other day, dreaming about summer, I checked out one of my favorite campgrounds on Lake Ontario, for a random weekend in August, and what?!  A water site was open!  I reserved it for three nights, then Emily reserved a site too.  Now we have one for June (also a water site), July, and now August.  Now we just have to find a nice camper, small enough to tow with our Nissan pick up, big enough for Paul and I and a few kids, and two Labradors...or we survive in tents for a bit longer, ha.

16. 


The two kitties (Orange Guy and Kettler) know that people = warm.  Charlotte Claire was taking a pic of Cam's zoo-y lap too.

17. Paul is playing his mandolin, the girls are watching anime, Jon is just chilling here, and the dogs are snoring.  I can't say that I'm tired of winter yet, but when I booked that campsite, I started thinking about sunshine...sunshine on my skin.  There is nothing like it, it's healing and delicious and relaxing.  Hopefully our Florida trip works out...lots of flights getting cancelled.   

18. Ben and Ashley will be having a new baby boy in a few months, this will be our #11 grandchild, and their third child...Anya, Elise, and baby brother.  This is exciting stuff!

....and I'm tried enough to wind down for bed.  My feet are cold, even in my new Christmas slippers, and when I think we still have the rest of January, then February, March, and chilly April...usually get some snow in May....eeks!  Have a really good evening...

7 comments:

Linda said...

Wishing Happy Birthdays...and Della, there are just some sad folks around who want to cause problems. I am totally confused and perplexed by the latest; go to work sick? Humph...haven't we been doing that for ages now? I read that the state of CT wants to put sick folks in nursing home, I guess they didn't learn anything from NY.

As for your thoughts of your blog being political, humph again...it's your blog, friend. smiles

Blods said...

Welcome back Della! Glad to hear you are on the mend, hope you feel completely recovered very soon.

I don't always agree with everything that you put on here but I agree, there is absolutely no excuse for unkind comments and I would never try and be hurtful if I did feel the need to express a different point of view to yours. After all, this is YOUR blog and no one is forced to read it. As a long time reader, I, for one, am very glad you do keep this blog, I love hearing about you, Paul and the entire family and your lives which are so different to mine and my family's.

Keep on having fun and finding joy in life, you are an inspiration

Much love Blods xx

Joy Smith said...

I'm a mom to 8 and have been reading your blog for years and years and years. I come and go and sometimes a year passes before I check in to see what you are up to and I am always relieved to see you are doing alright and still updating. You make me smile often and today is no exception. I thank you for speaking your heart and I thank you for sharing it with us! Sending all my love and prayers your way.

Unknown said...

Hi Della! Welcome back! Amazon is pretty quick I have to say. I’m so glad to hear you are all on the mend……now for your taste and smell to come back. Your mum must have been an amazing person to go through what she did with grace and humour 🥰 A lesson for us all! Now you have your trip to Florida to look forward to. It’s great you were able to book that waterfront campsite too! Now you will be all set for summer ……….. I’m looking outside and all our lovely WHITE snow is looking a bit sad. It has warmed up here…..+1 at the moment and the graders came around and scraped all the snow and slop off the road and it is piled on the side of the road………all disgusting and dirty!! So that’s my moan today!

Have a great day!

Marilyn from Canada 🇨🇦

Terri D said...

Pretty much ditto what Linda said. I enjoy my visits here and agree that folks should just love along instead of being ignorant about comments when they don't even know you. Glad you are out of quarantine and are ready for some fun. Love & hugs!

Martha said...

Snow in May is never "usual" because it simply doesn't belong there. I don't remember that happening when we were kids, but I think I saw it written in one of my dad's diaries once...

Oh, the babies! You'll be caught up to me in no time!
:0)

Diana said...

All I can think of to do for this post is...

*stands and claps* Everything you said, Della!

Oh, and I guess one more thing.... COME ON SUNSHINE AND SPRING!

Much love and many blessings, my friend!