summer 2011

summer 2011

Paul and I, all 16 kids and Ashley, Benjamin's wife...Christmas 2012

Paul and I, all 16 kids and Ashley, Benjamin's wife...Christmas 2012
family

Monday, January 10, 2022

now, the sad thing is....

 I won't be around much for the next few days because....my charger is toast!  I think it the cord got bent, and it started getting finicky, then I saw a spark, and yeah, it needs to be replaced before it fries my whole MacBook.  So, when we run out of charge, we won't be blogging anymore until Amazon comes through!

Can I ask a really snarky question?  Since when did this rule change or disappear:

If you can't say something nice to someone, don't say it at all.

No reason, just wondering.

I guess I'm just shocked...

As Linda so wisely pointed out, we aren't perfect.  I say a lot of stupid things, and am a very silly girl indeed, life is one amazing ride.   It's actually beyond me why anyone reads what I write, in the first place, as I have no structure to speak of, and I jump from thing to thing in randomness.   

But, the vehemence, the absolute meanness, wow.  My girls aren't surprised, they say that's how social media is, full of hate comments.  No wonder the young people are having mental health issues!  I can say I don't care what people think of me, and that is a somewhat true statement, in that I find that I DO care, but work with it, and let it go, does that make sense?  It affects me, yet I don't want to be effected by it.  

I know better than to let it into my heart, to be depressed by it, but these young people, it breaks my heart to think this is the world they are growing up in, where this is considered normal behavior.  To disagree is fine, it's part of life, it's natural, because we AREN'T cut from the same cookie cutter, it's what makes life so fun and interesting!  But the finger-pointing and name calling and blaming, wow.  I guess I've lived a sheltered existence.

Anyway, this is a really good day.  The sun is still shining here, while north of is is getting hammered with Lake Effect snow!  It's coming here later, I think, along with really cold temperatures.  It's cozy in here, Paul has been making fires in the wood-burner stove, makes it toasty.  

Last evening, I made bacon for dinner...it was beautiful  bacon. It was low-sodium, and very little fat, it fried up like fake bacon, in a commercial.  I couldn't smell a thing.  I sprinkled it with coarse ground pepper, which I also couldn't smell.  I put some on my tongue, nothing.  I made some eggs, and some toast from Ezekial bread, put a tiny bit of raspberry jam on a slice, and ate it with my eggs, my ghost-y eggs.  It is so weird, to have the texture of the food but not the taste!  The bacon was still good though, maybe I just have a good imagination and a good memory ha.  

In the big scheme of things, this is nothing, to lose taste and smell.  At least we have good nutritious food to eat!  And I've been trying to make myself drink coffee without cream for a while now, finally maybe I'll lose a bit of weight again...I've gotten stuck, one meal a day most days, low carb, very little to no sugar, I should be thin as a rail, but no, not me.  It's the cream in the coffee, I think.  But stuck I was, because I've given up everything else, stay away from my cream!  Now, though, why even bother?

I have always known that I value and appreciate food, as I do most things in life, treasure every delicious bite...so it's a very real thing to be saddened by the loss of that experience.   "Eat to live, don't live to eat" is a popular saying among enlightened dieters, with more self control than me.  I can't say I actually "live to eat", but...well, I LOVE my meals!  I'm a piggy-pie, I am.  

I'm going to sign off now, and stay off the laptop for a few days, unless Amazon comes through and delivers the cord earlier....have a really good day, and stay warm....

15 comments:

Anonymous said...

Someone expressing that they disagree with you, that your blog is politically charged regularly, or that you tend to belittle the impact of COVID-19 (whether that means stating incorrect facts that have been pointed out already, being insensitive to others who have lost loved ones by talking about all the "fun" you're all having at home with COVID-19, or that you may have certainly spread this virus around to other people, the list could go on, isn't mean and hateful. How is that MEAN and HATEFUL? Because someone disagrees with you or points out something that you don't like? I'm not trying to be MEAN or HATEFUL myself, but you're not helping the situation either.

Also, you're expressing your opinion strongly and regularly about sensitive subjects that tend to perpetuate angst and aggression, so what can you expect? If it's out there on the internet for people to consume, they will consume it. And they will have an opinions.

Martha said...

You're still my favorite. I still love how you "think out loud" on your blog and it comes out in coherent thoughts. I have to work at it. I don't blog much anymore. One reason is that I'm always at work, another is there is someone out there who I no longer want reading my every thought...

You are entitled to have your own perspective like everyone else. We can't all stand in the exact same spot and therefore our perspectives are all different, some slightly and some incredibly so. If we could all understand this, perhaps the word would be a kinder place, and we wouldn't be pushing and shoving or stepping on the other guy's toes.

No time to be sad, Della. (I'm talking to myself too...) There's a big old world out there just waiting for us.

16 blessings'mom said...

Going forward, if you want your comment published, please leave your name. :).

Linda said...

It is bitter cold down here in the Southern Tier...I so agree with Martha. grin---ok friend, I am going to go wallow for a while...today was a rough day...smiles

P.S. (I'm being snarky, grin)---do you want me to sign my full name? (ducking grin)

Unknown said...

Good afternoon! Hi Martha 👋 I read your blog too, but don’t seem to be able to comment any more 🤷‍♀️ so just read it 😉

Too bad about the charger Della………..I guess nothing lasts forever.

Don’t take too much to heart as really I don’t think you know most of these people personally……me included……….so who knows who they really are? It’s like they are behind their computer……anonymously so not face to face, so feel they can say anything. I was also taught if you have nothing nice to say, don’t say anything. I taught my girls (who are your age BTW) the same thing. Anyhow, hunker down and get ready for the blast of winter again 🥶🥶 I’m sorry you couldn’t taste the lovely bacon……….what a shame. I just love bacon and eggs and toast……..one of my favourites. I just made some chicken noodle soup for supper………..too bad I can’t send you some. Keep getting better and I hope your taste returns real soon!, 🥳🥳

Marilyn from Canada 🇨🇦

Anonymous said...

Happy charger break, Della!
My dad is doing so much better, thank you for your prayers!
The worst thing to eat when you can't taste or smell is a pulled pork sandwich. The soft bun, the stringy meat, the sauce...no enjoyment. Hopefully you'll enjoy your food again soon. Makes all the difference!
Valerie

shellie said...

Hi! Shellie here from cold Canada. I love your blog, we are all entitled to our opinion and it's your blog, you can say whatever is on your mind. I don't think you have a mean or spiteful bone in your body. I love how open you are! I also think we all need to do what is right for us to get through these trying times. I hope you are all feeling better soon, take care.

Billie Jo said...

I hope you get your cord asap! Stay cozy and warm, my friend. : )

Kristi said...

The funny thing about this is I don't think people see what they write, that is why we are where we are. For example, you just stated "But the finger-pointing and name calling and blaming, wow. I guess I've lived a sheltered existence" but look back in the last year over your blogs what you have said about your governor/our president/senate leaders, etc.

Are you allowed to say something when you want, absolutely, but whatever these last 5 years have taught us, is that everyone has a right to say something, and they do, some louder than others. You can't get angry when you ask a question, is it wrong that I speak what I feel like on my blog...people are going to answer you in their own voice and it can get ugly if you don't watch it.

I love reading your blog, I used to read a bunch of different ones, now I think you are the last one I read. I hate politics now because it is so divisive, and honestly, I normally skim past when you start going political, but you are allowed to have your opinion, as others do too. It didn't use to be this way, and I was much more political but when people get so upset and want to be heard for their opinions but don't like it when others tell them their opinions, it gets ugly fast (not saying you are on one side or the other, just how it works now in my opinion).

Martha said...

Boundaries! Fabulous!!!
I like this.
:0)

Terri D said...

Well, I love your posts. I'm sorry you have had nasty comments. Hope the charger comes fast!

Anonymous said...

I agree with the last comment, YOU are one of my favorite blog to read! Prayers for you and family.

Vanessa M

Joybells said...

I sympathize with the loss of taste! I love my coffee and I love to eat. I can't imagine what it would be like to lose it. Praying for you all to recover quickly, with no complications.

Joy from Salem

BekLovesJeremy said...

I love your blog. Grew up in a family of 13 kids (second oldest) and now have eight kids of my own.live your wholesome and encouraging view of
motherhood.
Rebekah

16 blessings'mom said...

Martha, that's too bad you don't feel comfy writing on your blog. I do love you, and yes, there is a big old world out there!
Linda, please state your full name! I'm kidding of course. I am so sorry you had such a rough day, I can't even imagine the raw pain you're in these days. Hugs to you, my friend.
Marilyn, Bacon and eggs is one of my favorites, and I almost couldn't bear to try it because I knew how sad it would be if I couldn't taste it...it was kind of sad!
Valerie, I am SO glad your dad is feeling better!!!
Shellie, thank you!
Billie Jo, thank you!!!
Kristi, thank you for your wise comment. I don't want it to get ugly, here on the blog.:)
Martha, I decided not to let just a few ruin it for the rest of us...
Terri, thank you, that charger came in record time!
Vanessa, thank you!
Joy, thank you! I still can't taste or smell, but am so much better!
Rebekah, I bet you have some stories to tell, and I would love to hear them, the perspective of being one of the older ones in a huge family, now having so many of your own....thank you for your nice comment...