summer 2011

summer 2011

Paul and I, all 16 kids and Ashley, Benjamin's wife...Christmas 2012

Paul and I, all 16 kids and Ashley, Benjamin's wife...Christmas 2012
family

Tuesday, January 18, 2022

you think THAT'S bad!!!!....

 As Betty stated, there are others who have had it so much worse, so you feel bad complaining about losing the taste and smell.  This inherent goodness, and empathy, makes us humans, good humans.  However, when we DEMAND that others not complain because there are others worse off, well, no.

Rambling incoherently right from the start this morning, aren't I?  Comparing our circumstances and judging what others should think and feel is never good, but we all either do it, or are tempted to do it, on occasion.  

I've totally lost my train of thought, but here are some cute animal pictures:


(and a cute husband pic, too!  see all the train stuff in the background?  We have to find a place for it...)

Orange Guy likes to be warm and cuddly, so he gets as close to the dogs as he can.

Yesterday, we had our snowy weather, and stayed home...Paul had taken the day off of work to go ice fishing, but it wasn't ice fishing weather, which makes very little sense, but apparently it's not good when it's windy on the lake.  

Today, the snow will be tapering off, and the afternoon should be cold and clear.  I'll be picking Miss Char up from school at dismissal, and with Miss Cam, we'll go to the thrift store...do you believe I get a senior discount on Tuesdays?  I missed a whole year of it not knowing it started at 55.  The lady asked me if I was eligible, so tentatively...ha, I was tempted to say, EXCUSE ME, no, I'm only 39!  

Here's the latest update from our county:


It's raging through everyone, and I do feel bad for the older folks.  I've read a lot of people feeling relief when they "finally" get it, and recover, when it's milder...for older people with other health issues, though, it's rough.  The numbers from our county still seem to swing towards more vaccinated getting sick, half and half on the hospitalizations.  I think our fully vax rate is around 50%, with maybe 60% having one or more shots.  If this variant is evading the vaccination, time to end the mandates.  You can still get as many jabs as you want to, if you feel safer, or trust in it, go ahead, but stop the forcing.  

Well, I TRIED to behave myself and not write controversial stuff.  Isn't it frustrating though, when things seem so clear, and they're such heated topics?   

Anyway.  We had leftover stew last night for dinner, it's just so good.  Now it's time to make a new meal plan, and check what we have, what we need.  Sonja K. will be back on Thursday, it seems so empty here with only three kids.  I am not sick of winter/cold weather meals yet, but grilling on Sunday was fantastic, such a veer from what we've been eating.  It helped that I could actually taste the food, too.  My goodness, I swear I will never every take for granted one single bite of delicious food!  The taste and smell is still a bit dull, muted, but I'll take it!  I can taste the coffee, so yeah, I'm good!

I'm really craving stuffed peppers...with cauliflower rice, I think.  Will I be the only one here who enjoys them?  Probably.  Also, chili, which I love, but I have to eat around the beans, as I cannot tolerate them at all.  Meatballs again, maybe, they were so good.  I am not tired of chicken soup yet, either.  Maybe we can make bread bowls...or just bread sticks...not that I will eat them, but it'll warm up the kitchen, and the kids like them.

Camille and I have a noon date to get some school things done, she's working on math and violin in the mean time.  We might sneak into the library quick today, as we can always use more books.  I've just read Firefly Lane and Fly Away by Kristin Hannah...good reads.  (The girls and I watched Firefly Lane on Netflix, then I realized they were based on novels, so...)

Ah well, off I go to do some things around here...enough laziness, at least for now...



9 comments:

Billie Jo said...

I love stuffed peppers! That was the very first meal I made as a newlywed in our tiny apartment. I was so excited! Unfortunately, I didn't cover them, so they never got soft. Steve ate them anyway! Glad you are tasting again. And I totally get the ice fishing part. When it finally gets cold enough to be able to, it is too cold and windy! LOL Have a cozy afternoon!

Unknown said...

Hi Della! Great news about your taste and smell. Yesterday our weather was very peculiar. It was +5C in the morning and at about 8am it started to drop and rain……….freezing everything as we have LOTS of snow that had melted with the warmer weather. Then it started to snow and the temp kept dropping to -20C and ferocious winds 😳😳🥶🥶All sorts of accidents, highways closed etc. It is -21C this morning, but the sun is shining. Honestly…..they say if you don’t like the weather in Alberta just wait for 5 minutes and it will change 🙄 Good for you getting out and about again. I love the pictures of the dog and cat all snuggled up too 🥰 …A couple of Kristin Hannah’s books I read which are good are..,THE NIGHTINGALE…..THE FOUR WINDS…..THE GREAT AONE. She is a great writer. Did you ever read WHERE THE CRAWDADS SING? I have read it twice and it’s one of my favourite books. Another really good story based on a true story is THE GIVER OF STARS. You may have read them already.

Marilyn from Canada 🇨🇦

Linda said...

We were just at our small-town furniture store (my mil is demanding a burgundy color recliner--sigh)--anyways, we came in with masks on and the owner goes, "Take it off, we're not obeying." (And he is an alderman!)--he said, "We're done, just done." WOWOWOWOWOWOW--and then he offered their condolences with our son's death, and we got into small talk (funny, weren't we there for a chair?). They are looking to move to FL--funny, we are. He said, "We are done with the lies, mandates etc. We all have had covid and it makes no sense to get the vaccine." Wow floored us. I told him what my employer was going to do and he said, "You will see the city (us in town) will be going down the same path in regard to the vax mandates to shop etc." WOW...Shaking my head. 8,000 souls here and you want to do what? SO sad, Della...but yet, the south is free. grin

ANYWAYS, WHERE WAS I? See, I got on a tangent, lol.---OH HAPPY BIRTHDAY to your daughter. Wishes for many more happy birthdays. grin

P.S. NO burgundy color chair, she got a sea green color. So take that, Ms. Bossy Pants I wanted to say to her (mil). She was demanding and throwing a fit like a 2 yr old wanting a burgundy color chair. She simply doesn't under the supply chain issue.

Diana said...

The wait times at our local same day care places (in our small town there are4 and then the emergency room at the hospital) are anywhere from 4-5 hours.. as soon as they reach their "quota" for the day they start turning people away. I had never heard of a daily quota at same day care until this year when I had to go to one at the first of the month when I got shingles. Who puts a limit on how many patients can be seen in a day?! And then to turn the rest away - who might be even sicker than the others! Geesh. That's why I got up way early that day and was the first one in line when I needed to go in.
----------
I love to make stew, but a few years ago, husband and I found out - when we did the candida diet - we cannot tolerate red meat very well. Who knew I could have saved myself a lifetime of IBS-M if I'd known that! But I do make stew maybe once or twice a year now, but only enough for us each to have a small bowl... just to satisfy our tastebuds lol.
----------
When I turned 55, I started getting all that "senior" junk mail (think AARP and the like). Ugh. I'm gonna be 65 this coming Saturday and that junk mail is still going strong LOL! Hugs and blessings to you, dear Della!

PamL said...

Fly Away is one of Kristin Hannah's that I haven't read- thanks for the recommendation! I thought Firefly Lane was a bit risque...If you liked those, her other book The Great Alone was good, too! I did not like her newer one, The Four Winds (super depressing!!)

Mari said...

Even if other people have worse symptoms, you still had yours and they weren't fun!
I love stuffed peppers - but not cauliflower rice. However - there can't be too many beans in my chili. :)

Terri D said...

So glad you can taste your coffee again!! Yay!!

Unknown said...

PS……
Pam was saying THE FOUR WINDS is depressing and it is, but is is about the Great Depression and the dirty 30’s and those yeas were very depressing. It’s important that we know about those extremely difficult years in our history. Just my opinion of course 🥰🥰

Have a lovely day!

Marilyn from Canada 🇨🇦

16 blessings'mom said...

Billie Jo, I remember some of the things I made as a newlywed, oh dear. Eggplant parmesan, enough for an army, he did not like it, but he did eat it. I made pasta one night, dumped a three pound box into too-small-of-a-pan, what a mess. (I'll cover those peppers, ha!)
Marilyn, our weather is finicky too, today it's warming up, then getting much colder tomorrow, and more lake effect snow. I love Kristin Hannah, but did not like The Four Winds, it was a total copy of The Grapes of Wrath, but not as smooth, and just...icky. Thank you for the other suggestions though!
Linda, I love Off-on-a-Tangent, it's my favorite. God bless your furniture store man, he knows where it's at. I'd love to head south to freedom...I will just be content with VISITING freedom when I can...I hope Ms. Bossypants likes her chair...
Diana, it's awful, our whole medical system is suffering...we lost hundreds of nurses in our hospitals in Syracuse, the rest are expected to take up the slack. My one daughter works with outpatient cancer, and talk about more-bricks, less-straw! She's getting tired out. They just up and FIRED those with religious exemptions: caring, experienced nurses, who have already had Covid, or had real reasons why they chose not to be vaxed...so awful. I'm glad you're feeling better...and the older I get, the younger those higher age numbers seem...65, spring chicken!
Pam, I did not like The Four Winds at all, not at all.
Mari, this is true, my symptoms weren't fun! (I don't love cauliflower rice either...I'd rather have the rice)
Terri, I know!!! You think I went on and on about my coffee BEFORE, now it's WOW!