summer 2011

summer 2011

Paul and I, all 16 kids and Ashley, Benjamin's wife...Christmas 2012

Paul and I, all 16 kids and Ashley, Benjamin's wife...Christmas 2012
family

Thursday, August 19, 2010

all of my underwear are ripping...

Why do they all start ripping at the same time? I don't really mind, but it is a known fact that accidents and calamities happen to people like me ONLY when we have on rippy underwear. Here is an example, I can tell this because my dear mother is not around to be embarrassed by it it isn't exactly about RIPPY underwear, but it is in the same spirit.....a long time ago, she was pregnant for my brother Joseph, which was her fourth child. She was shopping with her Aunt Kate for a high chair for Tommy, who was just a bit over a year old. (It was one of those sturdy chrome things with the shiny metal tray, she had it at her house for years for the grandchildren...why oh why didn't I keep it?) Anyways, this part of the story was always hard for me to understand, but my mother told it like it made perfect sense....the day she went shopping for that high chair, 8 months pregnant, she did not wear a pair of underwear. I do not remember the details, but she didn't drive, and couldn't turn down the chance to get out shopping...anyways, during their little escapade, a tractor-trailer ran a red light and smashed into their car. My mother was thrown from the vehicle, and all she could think of was "Oh now, I don't have any undies on!" She wasn't seriously injured, although she spent the rest of her life with small stones imbedded in her legs from the road. The driver of the truck would have been charged with manslaughter if the baby (Joey) had been killed, but he was just fine.....Oh,the trauma of the whole thing, but when she told it, she always said, "Never ever leave the house without your underwear!"

So just to be on the safe side, I am going shopping for new underwear. With underwear ON, of course.

Paul is leaving tomorrow night. If you live in Mumbaii and see a handsome muscular fellow, tall and slim, with green eyes and glasses, tell him that I miss him. And be extra nice to him, he has a very busy life. He works hard and is so totally honest and responsible and is HAPPY to do the good.

Apparently, during the days off from classes, the students from the company he works for from Germany and Mexico and Canada, ect., will go together on tours and have fun group activities. I hope he has fun, but certainly not TOO much fun without me....ha. In fact, I am hoping he misses me like crazy, and his boss gives him some extra time off and maybe a bonus, so we can go to Jamaica again....hey, it doesn't hurt to hope.

It is quiet in here this morning. I have been awake since 6:28. I tried to go back to sleep, I truly did. But all I could think of was the garbage man last week saying, "If this dog ain't tied up, I ain't gonna pick up your garbage anymore!!" eeks, that would not be pretty. We already had to switch plans because we had too much garbage, now we have two 96 gallon cans on wheels, for twice the price....anyways, I had to make SURE that Rosie was in her safe and secure, not out there lying in wait for those guys who come into our driveway and take our garbage! One cannot blame Rosie for being alarmed! Anyways, everytime I closed my eyes, I pictured the truck coming early, and one of the younger kids letting Rosie out....so I just got up. I have had my Cheerios and my first cup of coffee, read the entire newspaper.....and it is STILL quiet in here.

It is supposed to be a beautiful day. The pool is nice and warm and clean, and I hope to spend some time in it again today. Yesterday I came across a nice lounge floatie that I had bought on clearance and put away in the closet. Jonathan thought that was pretty cool, since we inflated it while his older sisters were at the waterfalls hike with Emily. He was the boss of it.

Jonathan is at Emily and Abigail's apartment right now. He got to spend the night last night. Most exciting, most exciting.

I dreamed a dream last night....a dream that my sister, who is ten years older than I am, (sorry Cheryl...although we look like twins, I think...) anyways, I dreamed she had a newborn baby boy. She has seven children, all daughters, and mostly grown...but in my dream she had this little newborn, and I scooped him up and smelled him and hugged him and WANTED him, and handed him back to her....wah.

If I was a smart mother, I would be straightening up and doing some laundry while the kids are asleep. ha.

3 comments:

Martha said...

You are too funny! (Mine are looking rather in need of replacement also. Been thinking about it for a week or so.)

Heather said...

I love the story you shared about your Mom. Glad you decided to go shopping with yours on;-)

cheryl said...

Hey, I had that dream, too!! I think we need another baby in the family..