summer 2011

summer 2011

Paul and I, all 16 kids and Ashley, Benjamin's wife...Christmas 2012

Paul and I, all 16 kids and Ashley, Benjamin's wife...Christmas 2012
family

Monday, August 9, 2010

out to lunch with joe, mali, sam, kathryn, evelyn, suzanne, and camille

There were only seven kids here, so going out to lunch seemed like a good idea. Less expensive and all. ha. The real reason we went was because they wanted to go on an adventure with me, Joseph and Mali and Sam....and since I tend to revel in the time spent with my older ones, and find that I like to please them, I was game. It was stuffy and hot and overcast as we headed up to the city near the lake....the a.c does not work in the big van, so we were hot. But Ponderosa was nice and cool. I won't name any names, but the kids do get their money's worth at all-one-can-eat buffets. There is a soft ice cream machine there, and SPRINKLES. Two of the kids got their wires crossed and both got Camille ice cream, one a dish, the other a cone. I just gave her both...she had quite a good time, and delighted in the sprinkles. They finished the drinks in their take-home kid cups, and filled them with soft ice cream to go. I told them I was going to take my dinner plate and make an ice cream mountain on it, then put a chocolate fudge waterfall down it....they didn't quite believe me, but I think they were relieved anyway when I came back with just a small dish. It is really fun to use the machine and squirt out your own ice cream. They were getting expert. We had to leave in a hurry because I forgot about tip money, and when it was time to go, I only found one dollar and five quarters in my purse. None of the kids had brought their wallets, conveniently....I wanted to leave a note of apology, instead we left quickly.....I can never go back.

Afterwards we took a quick trip through Walmart. I picked up a few more boxes of 25 cent crayons, and got Mali a belt for her work pants. It was pouring rain when we left the store, but it was warm summer rain, and walking through the parking lot felt wonderful.

I went through the McDonalds drive through because I found two dollar bills in my skirt pocket.(the thought did cross my mind to bring it to the waitress at Ponderosa, but $2? It would have been almost worse...) I said I needed a coffee for the ride home, and Sam said he needed one too. I don't think he could have been more please when I actually bought him one. He felt grown up, I think. When the voice behind the screen told me it would be $2.76, I mini-panicked....I thought the small coffee was a dollar, I said. Oops, he said. Phew, I said. I only had the two bills and not much change....

We came home and cleaned up the kitchen and living room, again, because the septic people were coming...(shh, I always use it as an excuse, just in case they come in, I tell the kids...) They pumped out the tank and fixed the broken pump switch, and hopefully the smell will not return.

Paul left for a meeting, and we weren't hungry, so I made lots and lots of batches of hot air popcorn, and the kids had a freezepop...

Another summer day, enjoyed thoroughly by me.

1 comment:

Karen said...

reminds me of the time I went through the drive thru for milk shakes at a small drive-in and ordered 2 and didn't have enough money. I was thinking McD's prices...and these were significantly more expensive and I only had enough for 1!