summer 2011

summer 2011

Paul and I, all 16 kids and Ashley, Benjamin's wife...Christmas 2012

Paul and I, all 16 kids and Ashley, Benjamin's wife...Christmas 2012
family

Wednesday, May 12, 2021

...a few of my latest favorite things...

 



Cuppy-cakes for two birthday celebrations...I love making cupcakes.  I cheated and used the Funfetti mix, but the buttercream frosting is from scratch.  Lydia liked how "there are sprinkles IN the cupcakes, AND on top, matching!"
Lilacs from the yard...nothing reminds me so strongly of my mother...

Today is a quiet day.  Miss Sonja has gone and gotten on a plane to California, to visit the boys.  Jonathan is doing some landscaping, and the girls are at school.  Paul is working from home in his office, and here I am.  I vacuumed and did some dishes, but shh, I'm on my second coffee, and I'm in my comfy chair.

I was planning to stay home and clean out the drawer under the stove, my life!  But, as fate would have it, one daughter packed all the  girly supplies and absconded with them, and another daughter submitted an immediate request.  I know I could just go to the Dollar General, but, why pay more?

With eleven daughters, I've gotten used to urgent requests, although in the old days, our supply was replenished on a more regular basis, as I coupon-ed and sale shopped, stocked up.    Now there are three girls left at home...three.  That just seems like a tiny little number!  But, we still need those pads.

(They'll kill me if they read this today, have I no sense of what to write about, at all?)

Yesterday, Sonja had to return a book to the college, so I accompanied her, because duh, a chance to drive that nice Jeep!  (I don't want to give it back!)  The gas shortage hasn't been evident here yet, but I did pay $2.99 a gallon.  The chlorine pool shock was a shock, the price went waaaay up.  It was $22.99 in Walmart, last year it seemed to be around fifteen...maybe a little more.  In BJ.s Warehouse, it was 60 bucks for a 15 pack.  ouch.  But I bought two, because we can't open the pool without it.   

Prices are just going to keep going up, our government is giving out money like it grows on trees.   They're giving out so much money, people don't want to go back to work.  Those stimulus packages are so filled with give-aways, it'd turn your stomach.  The government is in the business of redistribution of wealth. (SNL was criticized for having Elon Musk, because he is rich, and it makes people feel bad...) The "woke" are under the strong delusion that life should be fair, where were their mamas when they were growing up?  It should be the mantra of every parent, Life Isn't Fair.  

What's a blog post without a little ranting, a little raving, right?

I got a huge-0 box in the mail yesterday, a surprise.  It was a suitcase, a nice new carry-on suitcase, from Aaron!  It IS super nice, now I just need to pack it and go on a trip!

Tomorrow I'm watching little Wulf while his daddy, Adrian, takes a final final, his last of his second year of college...


5 comments:

Katie said...

WHY is the drawer under the stove always such a nightmare?! You are inspiring me to clean that area out too..

Unknown said...

Good morning Della 🌞🌞 I can remember saying in that child like way “it’s not fair” and my mum saying “who ever said life was fair?” We just got on with it. Those cupcakes look just delicious 🤤 I haven’t made cupcakes forever.........come to think of it I haven’t even made a cake forever! No one to eat it except us!! I hope Sonja has a lovely visit in California......it’s a nice time to go there, not too scorching hot yet. How lovely that you got a new travel bag!! Now you’ll be itching to go somewhere to use it.

Have a great day........

Marilyn from Canada 🇨🇦

CarrieinSeattle said...

I love your blog and just bringing up some counterpoints. I remember when Trump was in his last days pre-election. He promised the American people that if he was elected, he would pass the biggest stimulus package ever. Many people seem to forget this when they attack Biden. Also, when people talk about job openings and people not taking them they need to remember that in many places schools are not open or open only partially. My daughter in Seattle goes for two hours a day WiTHOUt any transportation. How can a parent make working and school work? Yes, people might argue that there are programs available for parents who need to work but why should these parents send there children to childcare when the state does not consider it safe to open schools. I argue that pandemic unemployment cannot end until all schools are fully open.

16 blessings'mom said...

Hi Carrie in Seattle! (How is Seattle, btw? I've been there a few times, and there were homeless people everywhere, but it is such a beautiful place). I didn't actually attack Biden, although come on,(ha!) do you think he's doing a good job? I do get your point about schools though, that is CRIMINAL. I don't even particularly like public school, but for most kids, it's vital. The schools need to open, normally, full time. Our small district here in rural NY has done a phenomenal job opening, five days a week now for all students, except for those who have chosen to be virtual. So I do see your point, it's impossible to work AND drive AND teach them from home. But a big part of this problem IS people who are choosing not to go back to work. The stimulus package Trump was planning no doubt had it's share of pork too, the billions for this corporation and that, for nonsense and programs and and and. I think there is corruption in most every politician, and the fact that they can tax you to death and choose how to spend your hard earned money is maddening. Taxes should go to some things, but it's getting ridiculous.
Marilyn, my mom was the same. I love baking, but it's sooooo tempting! And yes, I'm itching to pack that bag!
Katie, well, um, I didn't actually get to that yet...:)

R's Rue said...

Enjoyed this post