summer 2011

summer 2011

Paul and I, all 16 kids and Ashley, Benjamin's wife...Christmas 2012

Paul and I, all 16 kids and Ashley, Benjamin's wife...Christmas 2012
family

Thursday, May 20, 2021

what is the point?

 ...but first, before we get to the point, let's talk about learning from your mistakes, and another BEFORE and AFTER.

The other day, I wandered in to the kitchen to make a cup of coffee, head in the clouds, operating on auto, in a daze, whatever my excuse was, and...neglected to put the cup under the drip of coffee.  Well, I'll never do THAT again, I thought as I cleaned it up.  well ha.  This fine morning, I wandered in again, same scenario, got distracted because oh dear, the sink needs some bleaching, then oh no, there's a stinkbug!  (BTW, I don't know if you have those creatures where you live (they arrived on the East coast of the USA a few decades ago from Asia, (Pennsylvania, 1998) they are very destructive of plants and crops, and are hard to get rid of!  And, if you squish them, they smell terrible!)  Anyway, I put that stinkbug in the bowl of bleach I was using to wipe out the sink, and it did not die, no, it actually swam in the bleach.  If that little bug can withstand that, I can not squish it, so I let it go outside, which goes against my own strict stinkbug policy of KILLING EVERY ONE OF THEM. 

Anyway, you can see where this is going, yes, I did it again.

There, all fixed.  

Cleaning up messes is one thing, but when you've made them yourself, harrumph.

Yesterday, I did some painting.  We had this little wood table from Paul's parents' house, painted brown on the top, the legs were mostly bare wood, some hints they were something else once upon a time.  It was an ugly table, so...I decided to prime it, forgot to take a proper BEFORE pic, but here's one from after I started...upside down.
And another...

The top was painted a milk chocolate brown, yummy for chocolate, horrid for tables.

After:



The legs are only primed, I like the rustic-y look, the top is painted with sea-salt, which is a hint of green.  I also painted the front door, both sides, and the deck door, both sides, with the sea-salt.  It was already that color, and I love it, but needed touching up.



And, on to The Point...

I've been thinking a lot about being a mom, and what a huge-0 rip-off it seems to be that you put in so much effort into raising your kids, then off they go, barely looking back, skipping into their adult hood. 

 The diapers, (average of 2 1/2 years of 7 a day, 6,387 each, x16=102,200). (The first 6 kids were cloth diapered, which I washed, the first two kids I didn't even have a dryer...), the dishes, the laundry...the homework, the meals, the shoes they needed and outgrew in the blink of an eye....

You know, the toil, the sleeplessness, the MESSES!  The projects, and interests, fads (rollerblades, those milk pods, silly bands, Pokemon, basketball, bikes, skateboards, Legos, K'nex, sketch pads, acrylic paints, Easy Bake supplies, a rock tumbler!).  The ER trips, the fevers and rocking sick babies, wondering when to call the doctor, the bandaids and the heart aches, the stories and cuddles and singing songs in the big van, the adventures and the long orders at the McDonald's drive through...

It was my life, it took 110% of me, I was tired, and busy, and my life had meaning.   I was a stay-at-home mom who rarely stayed home!  

Now, I don't know who I am.  I'm not sure if it's a mid-life crisis, or just the feeling of barreling towards an empty nest at a million miles an hour, or that I just am not used to having some time on my hands.  When the kids are all gone during the day, I fill my time, easily, I putter around and don't get bored, but I feel like I should be doing MORE.  I want a job, ha, but I don't really want to WORK.  

Yesterday, one of the kids asked me what do you do all day?  Well, I sweep and mop and clean up, and yesterday I did all that painting, I water the plants and...what DO I do all day?

Yesterday, I also went to Ollies.  It's a discount store, I had bought some chocolate covered almonds there a few weeks ago, and they were rancid.  They were seriously so bad, I ate like three or four of them just to make sure, I wanted them to be delicious, but nope.  So, I sent a little email, because I thought they should know.  Well, the manager called me, thanked me for the heads up, then said I could bring my receipt in, get my $2.99 back, and get a coupon for 20% off the total purchase.

Well, that sounds all fine and dandy, and it sure was nice of her, but oh my goodness embarrassing.

"Hi, I'm the lady who complained about the almonds."  I had to tell the story to 3 different people, they each nodded, yes, they heard about those almonds, and by then, so did half the customers in the lines at the front of the store.  I wanted to slink down and say to forget it, but hey, 20% off is 20% off, right?

I got some granola bars for the girls, they like to bring them to school...and some insect repellent, some gum, a new rug for the kitchen...

See, I do stuff!

Here's a plant I haven't killed yet.  See how the deck railing is peeling already?  We just refinished the whole thing last year!  I think it's the harsh winter weather, because it was really good quality stain, Behr.  

Anyway.  I am not down in the dumps, or depressed,  just feeling a little unnecessary sometimes.  But then I think of The Point of being a parent...it's to lead your children to their OWN TWO FEET.  When they get on those feet, when they start adulting, when they seek careers and buy cars and move out and get on with their lives, you've done what you set out to do.  

I am proud of them, of what they've become.  My nurse practitioner daughter, my three R.N's, the accountant, my Army medic Afghanistan vet who's a homeowner and married with two kids, my other Army vet from The Old Guard and married with the second child coming in August, my artist son is married with a nice little house in town, and the rest too...only four left at home, Miss Sonja done with her first year of college, starting nursing school in the fall (she got ALL A's!, a 4.0 average!), Jonathan who is going to go to school for something interesting, not sure what yet, finishing up his homeschooling...then the two "little" girls...both on the Principal's High Honor Roll, averages in the upper 90's.  

What?!  It's my blog, I can brag if I want to, ha.

I had an opportunity to take an office job, secretary, pay bills, answer phones, and I considered it for about an hour, then I realized that summer is coming, and I still have kids here.  Kids who need to go on adventures, and swim the afternoons away with their mom, kids who still need guidance and encouragement and attention.  

So I don't know what the future holds for me.  I know I'll be working at some point, doing something, but for now, I do still have some responsibility here at home.  And we all know that it still takes a lot of energy to raise teenagers, four of them here!  Plus, there can be some heavy duty gatherings here when they all come over to visit.  Plus, being grandma, there are days when the little ones come over during the week.

Today, I am going to Costco.  There is a work weekend at our church this weekend, Emily and I have planned breakfast, lunch, dinner on Saturday, and breakfast on Sunday, to feed 60-70 people.  We have other people helping with the meals, but I am buying all the food, and it's a LOT.   We also have a barbecue planned for Sunday afternoon for 60 people, I am buying the food for that too.  I have lists and lists, and will be going to Costco today, a few places tomorrow, to get everything.  Then Saturday I'll be in the kitchen all day at church, and Sunday too.  So don't feel sorry for me, I am NOT BORED, ha.

(I am thankful I don't work, and am able to do these things!)

If you're still reading this, you have a long attention span!  Now, off I go to Costco....


9 comments:

Unknown said...

Hi Della............I love reading your blog. You have such a good attitude ☺️You are not alone in doing dumb things I can assure you! I did the coffee thing with our old coffee maker. It ground the coffee and made a pot and I forgot to put in the filter and a whole pot of coffee went everywhere........the air in my house was very blue I can tell you 🤬🤬🤬Another time I was running hot water in the sink to wash up the dishes.......got distracted and caught it just before it came over the top!!! More blue air that time too!!! Your table looks pretty......nice addition to the deck. You were such a busy lady for so many years Della, you deserve to be able to just putter and meander and dawdle till your heart’s content I would say. You certainly deserve to that’s for sure. You raised a great bunch of kids and must be very proud. Have a fun weekend with all that cooking at the church!!

Marilyn from Canada 🇨🇦

Anonymous said...

I guess I have a little courage when it comes to returning things to stores and food in restaurants. I mean, I'm paying for it, right, and it was done wrong! I hope to be able to travel when the kids leave the nest, but that isn't for 15 more years. Sigh. We have the stinkbugs, too! That is so discouraging that they can swim in bleach. It's that suit of armor they've got...
Valerie

Anonymous said...

I say, enjoy your last few years. I started back to work as a CPA after almost 20 years absence when my last child was a junior and wasn’t home much, either at school, studying or in sports. I worked tax season only and loved it. Worked hard, had a bit of money and enjoyed the rest of the year with my family. Now, we have 20 days until my last graduates high school and moves 1,500 miles away for college. I still haven’t set up a plan on what I will be doing, but glad that I have that work available. I keep catching myself holding my breath thinking about having no children at home. It will be hard but I am glad they are so ready to fly off and be a productive member of society. I’ve done my job to the best of my ability.

Kristi

Susan said...

Well Della, I just cannot imagine anyone asking what you do all day, whoever that person is they evidently do not read your blog!
I want to tell you that you are a real life hero in my eyes. You have raised 16 amazing children and even the grown ones love spending time with you. I find that to be rare and it says volumes about your parenting. I do not think your nest will ever be empty!
♥️♥️♥️♥️♥️Susan

Linda said...

grinning...uhuhuh...if you could see my head (bobbing up and down)---oh yeah, fully understand. Like I was telling my husband, I hate working, but I like money...wanna know what he said? "Maybe you can go stand on 2nd and 3rd then?" Smart alec, grin.(stop laughing, don't want you to spill whatever you are drinking, LOOLOLOLOL)---anyways, something tells me we aint the only ones, my friend. smiles

16 blessings'mom said...

Linda, slap him silly. :). Susan, thank you, and I hope it's never empty! Kristi, that's right, it's a job well done when they go off and become those productive members of society. Valerie, those years are going to fly by....
Marilyn, I tend to be a water runner, I get distracted, and shh, I would not stand for it if one of my kids left the water running like I do ha. I'm glad I'm not the only one though!

Pat said...

Hello Della,
I am the "rude" woman who posted a few months ago from Utah. I work in an NICU and community based Early Intervention, not as a nurse but a Doctor of Physical Therapy. I apologize for my judgmental tone. I have raised my two children and they are the joy of my life, however, I always knew there was way more to life than being a wife, mother, grandmother etc. Fifty years ago you could have settled back, basked in your accomplishments and watched the world around you change. However, having read your blog long enough you have another "life" waiting in the wings. My council to all who have reached exactly where you are is "what will give you satisfaction and add value to the world". Children are your focus, have you thought about becoming a teacher, a counsellor, a nurse? I am 70 years old, I have worked my entire life, and I got my doctorate when I was 50. I continue every day to make life better for every child and family with special needs whose path I cross. I say do what fills your soul!!

16 blessings'mom said...

Pat, what a kind and thoughtful comment, you've given me some things to think about here. I have thought about being a counselor, I sort of wish I had gone to college a few years back, but you can only go forward. Thank you for the encouragement!

momfaith said...

Oh my gosh, you DO WORK! You work by keeping your family together, blessed and happy. It is a constant work in progress, especially with grandchildren too. And you bless your church community too! If you don't have to work for the financial means and you feel rewarded by doing what you are doing by simply continuing to "mother" your family in your own special way by all means do that. Mothering never ends. Even when the kids are grown. Bless you.