summer 2011

summer 2011

Paul and I, all 16 kids and Ashley, Benjamin's wife...Christmas 2012

Paul and I, all 16 kids and Ashley, Benjamin's wife...Christmas 2012
family

Friday, May 7, 2021

when your mama has passed on....

Springtime...with the tulips and buds and blossoms, it's amazing, year after year, yet....


 Mother's Day.  You'd think it'd get easier, as the years roll by without her.  The grief has softened, but I still get the punched-in-the-stomach feeling when I remember, again, that she is gone.  It's not as often, but sometimes out of nowhere, the frustration of not being able to ask her about something, coupled with the knowledge that I will never ever, on God's green earth, go shopping with her again, ouch.  I see her there at her house, waiting at the door, with her big "pocketbook" hanging over her arm...she was the only one I ever knew who consistently called her purse by that name...it would be filled with useful things, she was Grandma TicTac, she always could pull something out of there for a fussy grandchild.

When I was a kid, she would grab a wet washcloth on the way out the door, because you had to be clean and neat when you went bye-bye...wonder where I got THAT FROM.

My mother had time for everyone.  She was a birthday rememberer.  No detail was too boring for her, she would be there when I got home from school, ready to hear about it.  My friends liked her more than they liked me.  Once, I had this sleepover party upstairs in my room, and wait a minute, where were most of the girls?  They had one by one ended up downstairs, talking to my mother.  

Her birthday was in May, and she loved lilacs, so I miss here most in the spring.  

My mother had a tough life.  Her grandmother was Irish, "off the boat" Irish, my mother used to say.  My mom had red hair, which never went gray, it dulled a bit, but she died at 69, still a red head.  Her own mother died of cancer when my mother was 14 years old.  She had one older sister, one younger brother, they went to live with their mother's sister, and their dad left and went to Florida, then Alaska, I never met him.  (My father's mom died when I was a toddler, his dad years before that, so I had no grandparents).  My mother always felt abandoned, because she was abandoned.   Her father had no right to just leave those kids like that.  He kept in touch, sporadically, from a little town in Alaska, sent us the weekly newsletters, it was fascinating.  His "new" wife sent my mother a picture of his gravestone when he died, and that was that.

Favorite memories:  being little, her hanging the clothes on the line.  Sitting on her lap reading stories.  Her standing at the stove, making pancakes in the cast-iron frying pan.  

She died when Miss Charlotte Claire, our #15, was a newborn.  My mom had a rough time of it.

Breast cancer, double mastectomies, cancer in lymph nodes, age 44

Heart attack, then triple bypass, which resulted in damaged kidneys, kidney dialysis from age 60 to when she passed at 69.  NINE YEARS, three days a week!  

Her heart couldn't handle the dialysis anymore.  She was just worn out.  She was afraid of having a stroke in the chair, she wanted to go on her own terms, not that she had much of a choice...she left that dialysis center one last time, in an ambulance, on a Friday night, and by Saturday morning, she had decided:  no more.  She was settled nicely into a bright sunny room in the palliative care hall, and we all visited all week.  She was so happy, said she could finally eat whatever she wanted to, ha.  She loved having everyone there.  One friend arrived, hesitant to step into the room, after all, visiting a friend who is dying is rather awkward...but my mother saw her and said, "Come in, I'm DYING to see you!"  

My mother was not afraid to die.  She was very confident of where she was headed.

The doctors told us she would lose consciousness, but it didn't happen.  The night she ended up dying, Thursday, she tried to get up out of bed, she sat right up and tried, she said, "I'm going to Jesus now!"  No, we told her, she didn't have to get up, He was going to come right to her bed and fetch her Himself, when he was ready.  She was very happy about that.  He did come for her, in the wee hours...

I was glad for her.  She had suffered for years.  For those years, you wouldn't have known how much she suffered, because she was still the birthday rememberer, and the person who listened.  She was the fun grandma, who read stacks of books to the grandkids, and still went with me to help at doctor's appointments, and on shopping trips.  She would come here and spend the night, and pay one of the kids five dollars to bring her bags to her room, or make the bed.   

I was glad for her, to be rid of her earthly body, her feet starting to blacken with diabetes side effects, her vision going, so tired from the dialysis.  

But then who would I call when I was making dinner?  Who would go to Kmart with me?  Who would remember my third grade teacher's name?  Who would care about the little details of life?

I'm thankful that I had a mother who taught me how to listen, how to love, what's important in life.  She was absolutely thrilled by the simplest things in life.  She didn't esteem herself very highly, but everyone else loved her.  She made friends everywhere.  Not a day goes by without me thinking of her, of comments she would make, of how much she would have gotten a kick out of things like how little Wulf follows Paul around, "helping" him fix his fishing pole, or Ophelia doing her stomp-y dance, or the sweetness of Ben and Ashley's little girls...

Sometimes I see women out and about with their moms, and I want to whisper, "Be good to your mom, don't take her for granted, be thankful for today, for this very outing..."








13 comments:

Cheryl said...

Well, thanks for making my eyes wet!❤️😢

Susan said...

What a beautiful testimony to your mother, it made me feel like I knew her a bit just by reading it.
Mother’s Day is difficult for me as well since my only child was killed. I tell myself that it is only a day but well, it still hurts.
♥️♥️♥️SUsan

Anonymous said...

That is absolutely beautiful Della. I lost my own mother from cancer at the age of 49, she passed three days after I got married. I resent the fact that she never got to see my younger sister get married, never got to meet any of her four grandchildren who she would she would have absolutely adored and spoiled rotten.
This is the first time I have left a message for you, but wanted to say that I love keeping up with your huge family - I don't know how you do it. And so I am not leaving an anonymous post, my name is Andrea and I live in New Zealand.

Unknown said...

Della......such a lovely tribute to your dear mum 🥰🥰 She sounds like such a lovely person. It’s good that you have such wonderful memories of her. Take care...........

Marilyn from Canada 🇨🇦

Billie Jo said...

Oh, sweet friend.
This is beautiful. Beautiful.
I feel as if I know your mother, and what a lovely lady she was!
I love your tribute to her.
And clearly, she was an outstanding mother, because you are her daughter.
Happy Mother's Day, dear friend.

Terri D said...

Those of us who have lost our moms feel much the same way, I think. I know I do. My mom was only 65 when cancer took her. She was an Angel on earth and now she is one in Heaven. Happy Mother's Day to you!! xo

16 blessings'mom said...

Cheryl...I know...
Susan, God bless you.
Hello Andrea, I am very sorry you lost your mom so young, and right after you got married. It's not easy. New Zealand, wow! I would LOVE to go there someday!!!
Marilyn. :)
Billie Jo, thank you, and Happy Mother's Day!
Terri, our mothers are probably friends by now...:)

Anonymous said...

I thought you might like to know how far and wide your readers can be! I have been to the US 5 times, but I don't think I could live away from our little secluded paradise down here. Andrea.

16 blessings'mom said...

Andrea, do you have a blog? ( If anyone has a blog out there, I'm thinking of putting a list on the sidebar because I can't keep track.) I would love to hear more about that paradise...

shellie said...

Happy Mother's Day! I lost my mom 6 weeks ago this will be my first mother's day without her. She was 83 and had had a hard time also. So happy she is not suffering any more, but oh how my heart aches and I miss her so much😥

Anonymous said...

Della, no I don't, I don't have nearly an interesting enough life! Andrea

Kristi said...

My grandmother, who lived in Connecticut and New Hampshire most of her life, called her purse a pocketbook. My dad actually calls my moms purse a pocketbook. I always wondered where that came from.

I am glad you have so many good memories.

Anonymous said...

This was so great to read today. What a wonderful mom!
Hugs,
Valerie