summer 2011

summer 2011

Paul and I, all 16 kids and Ashley, Benjamin's wife...Christmas 2012

Paul and I, all 16 kids and Ashley, Benjamin's wife...Christmas 2012
family

Saturday, May 1, 2021

the calm before the storm...

 ...that phrase was my favorite description of a baby who still simply enjoyed rolling around on a blanket on the floor, before the dreaded crawling stage.  But it also describes today, as tomorrow we're having a birthday celebration.  It's quiet here this morning, just the doggies and me.  Jonathan has been up and is at the hardware store for a bolt, for his car.  Don't ask me.  He has a fixer-upper, all right.  He's so excited about actually having a car.



Yas, he knows it's a little rusty.  And yas, there is some leaking, but he said it was coolant he spilled.  So just keep those fingers crossed that it works for at least a while for him, he's such a good boy.


How quickly he's grown...

Yesterday,  little Ophelia was here...




It still amazes me how the dogs are so relaxed around kids.  The only reason they're interested, it seems, is for those falling cookie crumbs.  Our sheepdog Rosie was terrible with small children, every muscle in her body tense, her eyes never closing, keeping watch, growling...now these dum-dum Labradors are so gentle and tolerant.

Miss Feef likes looking out the window.  It was really chilly, and when I opened the window, a cold breeze ruffled her hair, and she thought it was so funny.



Some birthday cookies, chocolate chip and peanut butter.
Dinner was steak, air fryer fries, and steamed broccoli.  Steak is super pricey right now, nothing good on sale this week, so I got chuck steaks, five for $15, and tenderized them in the sous-vide.
You just clip this handy dandy heater onto the side of a pan (most people have a fancy clear plastic container) (I propped it up on an upside down glass, behind the pan, so it stayed in place).  The steaks are vacuum packed, we have one of those food savers, but you can do this with zip lock baggies, too.  I seasoned them first, after the pic was taken, I turned them sideways so they were totally immersed.  You simply set the temperature, and it holds them at that temp until you are ready, in this case, to pan sear them in olive oil, then drench them in butter, salt, and pepper.  

So today, I have to go pick up that volleyball net.  I just didn't have time to do it yesterday, Ophelia went home around one thirty, and I had dinner prep, cookies to make...once I settled that I was staying home, I really enjoyed the puttering in the kitchen.

Jon is helping with a landscaping job today, and Evelyn is coming over to do "fun stuff" with the girls, to celebrate Sonja's birthday, which is Monday.  

Then tomorrow, I don't even know how many will be here, but I'm making barbecued meatballs, bbq chicken, and pasta salad.  I might get some fruit too, and I'll bake more cookies.  Today will be a prep day too, as we'll go to church tomorrow, hang around and socialize after, then come home at the same time people will be coming over....

Marilyn, I'm regrouping in my comfy chair this fine morning, with a really good cup of coffee.  The little fireplace heater is on, because May 1st doesn't mean warm weather, here in central NY.  


4 comments:

Martha said...

I'm glad your taking a little time to regroup this morning before what sounds like a very busy weekend!

Terri D said...

You are always so busy!! Superwoman, for sure!! I get tired just reading your posts most days! But they are always full of love and great photos and fun!! Happy birthday to all and I know they will enjoy those cookies and the yummy food you have planned for tomorrow! xo

Billie Jo said...

I remember the joy when Madison crawled! And then I remember the joy when Peyton was on the blanket playing and wishing she would wait a bit longer because you are right...it is the calm before the storm! Sounds as if you are all set for the party! Enjoy!!! And it is indeed quite chilly here in PA!

Linda said...

We had the furnace on yesterday. Today/this morning its 62 and suppose to warm up to 70...and that's life in the great north, right?

So many memories...thank you for the smiles, Della.