summer 2011

summer 2011

Paul and I, all 16 kids and Ashley, Benjamin's wife...Christmas 2012

Paul and I, all 16 kids and Ashley, Benjamin's wife...Christmas 2012
family

Friday, May 28, 2021

"C" is for cookie, that's good enough for me!

Cookie, cookie, cookie, cookie starts with C!  (Cookie Monster, Sesame Street U.S.A.)



 Before I put those chocolate chips in, I always make on tray with just sprinkles, for Camille.  Why someone wouldn't want chocolate chips in a chocolate chip cookie is beyond me, but hey, when you're the baby of the family, with sixteen kids, well, you have your little dislikes.  

I like making cookies.  It's relaxing.  If you've ever baked cookies with 8 or ten or 12, or 16 kids underfoot, then you can imagine how peaceful it is to do it all alone in the kitchen.  I find myself telling the dogs (THE DOGS!), watch out, I'm opening the oven door, careful, this tray is hot...

I'm not saying it was awful to bake when I was knee-high in small children, but it had it's challenges.  If a nursing baby is hungry, you stop to feed that baby.  There may be diaper changes, children who need to be wiped, helped with hand washing, perhaps someone thinks it's a good time to dump the box of cereal, or even a few of them get together and dump ALL of the boxes of cereal.  Phones ring, fights break out, maybe someone even gets sick at school, meaning all kids at home have to be presentable enough to go bye bye in the van, and get out and go to nurses' office, to sign out sick child.  Once a few of the boys were little and playing house with their sisters, and someone at school needed picking up, those boys were in sundresses.  These days I'd get a nod of approval, ha, but of course I had to change them before bringing them into the school.  

Anyway.  I like baking cookies.  I made a big pasta salad yesterday too, with olives, red onion, cucumber, green pepper, and little tomatoes.  Our cookout was nice, I grilled hot dogs and coneys for everyone, Sonja and Charlotte Claire and Camille helped me set the food out, and clean it up.  

I did get tired though, ugh.  Elise, three years old, asked, "Gramma, why are you walking so slow?"  I'm old, Elise.  I'm not really that old, but sometimes I feel like it, after a busy day...

The girls don't have school today, so we're going on an adventure...if you call Target an adventure ha.  It's nice to go out and about with them, they tend to talk more freely in the car, for some reason.  I could sit here all day, I have a good book (Tana French), and it's a chilly rainy day, and I have coffee....but they're itching to do something...and Sonja is at her friends' house, so it's down to me....

6 comments:

Debby@Just Breathe said...

What a beautiful family you have. Thank you for stopping over at my blog with the photos of from our trip to Montana. You are a no-reply so I couldn't answer back to your email. The cookies look delicious. Sounds like you had a delicious cookout. Actually Target would be an adventure for me. I've been isolated because of my age and my stage 4 COPD. I am now vaccinated but it still feels strange to go out shopping. Hope you have a wonderful weekend.

Linda said...

A girl at work made a comment about being old at age 29. I laughed and told her, the double nickels will be hitting next March for me. She looked at me like I had 2 heads, LOLOL. anyways...those cookies look really good. smiles

Carol said...

Those cookies look delicious!!! I love to bake, but havent done it much, but I am going to start again soon.

An American Housewife said...


I too hate chocolate chips in my chocolate chip cookies. I used to pick them out when I was in elementary school, and friends would argue over who got them (or they'd trade me something for them). (Yes, back when schools were allowed to make good, yummy food... including a chocolate chip cookie every now and then!).

To this day I will pick them out, or make some without chocolate chips for me when I make the rest for others. Every time you mention Camille and her 'odd' dislike of chocolate chips, I nod in agreement. I LOVE the chocolate chip cookie taste... just with no chocolate in it.

Terri D said...

Those cookies look like they are for an army!! I guess they are, though! I really don't know how you do it all. Kudos to you, my friend! xo

Anonymous said...

Have you ever posted your cookie recipe? Please do sometime. I haven’t seen it. They look so perfect. I have never been able to make them look so good looking. Are they more crispy or chewy?

Kristi