summer 2011

summer 2011

Paul and I, all 16 kids and Ashley, Benjamin's wife...Christmas 2012

Paul and I, all 16 kids and Ashley, Benjamin's wife...Christmas 2012
family

Friday, May 14, 2021

joy and fun and seasons in the sun....

 

My son Sam and his little Grant...(Grace took this pic, I stole it)
Playdough time!
Warm water and soap bubbles, Wulf washed all of his dishes.
My granddaughter Ophelia!
Ashley to the rescue!  She helped Wulf climb to the second floor!
She also twirled them on the merry-go-round, Wulf wanted to go speedy fast like a race car!
Elise!
Wulf and Elise, cousins...


Ashley and I went to the playground with Elise and Wulf, then Molly and Josh met us there with Ophelia. I helped another grandma there, she had a tiny tot who started off down a climbing wall, got halfway down, and froze, she couldn't get to him from above, had to climb down and go around, so I kept an eye on him, ready to grab if needed, she was thankful.  In these days, we've become even more wary of one another, and to me, a little human contact with a stranger is welcome and refreshing.

The new CDC guidance on removing masks indoors if you're vaccinated kind of breaks my heart.  The division of those who are and aren't will be there for all the world to see, and to judge.  Each of us has a story, we are individuals.  Maybe it's because I just finished reading The Nightingale by Kristin Hannah.  The story's main character had a best friend who was Jewish.  They were singled out, made to wear a gold star, then banned from markets and public places, lost their jobs, and of course you know the end.  We all know how much the Jews have suffered throughout history, and it's certain that comparing these things isn't apples to apples, because their suffering is actually incomprehensible, and I apologize in advance, don't mean to make light of any of it.  But there are definitely similarities when you separate groups of people, and don't tell me it's about health, it's not anymore.  The percentages of people in same households who do not get the virus, even when someone in the house is really sick, is between 70 and 90 percent.  That means there are immunities going on, natural immunities.  It doesn't always measure in a blood test, but there are thoughts that previous coronavirus contacts from other viruses have given people enough immunities to not come down with Covid 19.  So, if one has been in close contact, has a natural immunity, or has HAD Covid, and doesn't NEED a vaccine, should they get one just because of peer pressure?   I am not saying that no one should get this, I am not saying that at all!  It's just that medicine is not one size fits all.  

I remember my mother asking, "If all of your friends stuck their heads in the toilet, would you do it too?"...or, "If all of your friends jumped off a bridge, would you do it too?"

Yes, it's getting old, my spouting and pondering.  It is absolutely totally BEYOND ME how anyone can NOT be questioning these things though.  

But anyway, life goes by, and this is our life.  Don't live it in to fear, don't live in bitterness, use every opportunity to bless and be good, forgive, let things go, be thankful....

6 comments:

Michelle said...

I definitely agree...everyone I know who has had Covid, even with severe symptoms, has recovered with no medical treatment other than over the counter stuff, and no one that they live with got sick or even tested positive. Even my son I mentioned before, he was pretty sick for a few weeks, his wife is pregnant and didn’t get it. Strange, because pregnant women are supposed to be at higher risk.

I don’t like the discrimination of people who are vaccinated vs not, I definitely have seen the similarities to past history (also the last few years of division of political parties, race, gender, religious beliefs, etc....these things are not new issues of course, but have escalated in the US in recent times). Makes me sad, really.

I am still on the fence about the vaccines for myself. My previously healthy mid-20’s aged son looks to have long Covid symptoms still, possibly heart damage and a referral to a cardiologist. That makes me consider getting the vaccine, but also having been exposed to others with the virus and not getting it so far makes me wonder if I have natural immunity to it. If so, why get a vaccine?

Betty said...

Well spoken this is getting freightening.

Anonymous said...

My tyrannical governor just offered a vacci-million lottery. I called my representative to complain. The incentives for the vaccine make me mad.
Valerie

Unknown said...

Hi Della...........We chose to have the vaccination because of our age and because We are elderly ........77 and 81. We both have asthma and we decided this was the right choice for us. Everyone has to decide what is right for them I believe. I love all your pictures and Elise has really changed! She’s a little person now.................🥰🥰 Seems to have grown long legs. They are all gorgeous 🥰🥰

Marilyn from Canada 🇨🇦

Terri D said...

I respect everyone's right to make their own decision about the vaccine. My husband died of COVID in just six days in the hospital. My mid-fifty-year-old pastor was in the hospital for almost two months with COVID and his wife for five weeks. They are still recovering. I got my shots and am happy about it. Your kiddos are adorable but that picture of Ophelia is SO precious! Thanks for sharing all the fun with us!!

WicketsMom said...

A business cannot ask for your vaccination status. Here in Alabama, all mask mandates have been lifted and most are going without them now. Many of us did even before it was officially lifted, as it only said "if you cannot maintain a six foot distance when indoors" so it was more of a suggestion than a rule.