summer 2011

summer 2011

Paul and I, all 16 kids and Ashley, Benjamin's wife...Christmas 2012

Paul and I, all 16 kids and Ashley, Benjamin's wife...Christmas 2012
family

Monday, June 9, 2008

back to reality

Are they punishing me for leaving them? Or is it just too hot and sticky for them to be sweet, nice, and respectful? I missed these guys so much.....all the 9 hour trip home, I couldn't wait to see them. On the way home we stopped at this truck-stop/Wendy's thing that was really fun....you could get a huge cup of ice for 37 cents....yum...I ate ice and Hot Tamales for the last hundred miles....I think we had extra gravity in our van...Abigail was opening some Fiddle Faddle, and I asked her to make sure not to drop any on the floor, sticky, and she proceeded to open the bag....the way it ripped caused a Fiddle Faddle explosion...it was everywhere....and I spilled my cup of ice....and Hege dropped her GoodnPlentys all over....and that was just in the front of the van....there was some candy wrapper throwing (on purpose), and a few flying ice cubes....and the girls had a "Honk for Jesus" sign they would hold up in the window that apparently got plenty more honks than the "Honk for Hillary" sign.....we made 3 stops on the way home, I had to nurse Camille, and 24 of us had to pee.....Camille was so good....she fussed in the van a bit, but I think Abigail is 1: a saint to sit next to her for over 18 hours total without complaining, and 2: a stinker - she let Camille taste everything from butterflavored pretzels to Fiddle Faddle.....but hey, she kept her mostly happy....

Yes, that was only my second trip to the ocean in my life...the first time, I had 3 kids, and it was only May, and we were too north for it to be too warm....so this was very special for me....I still can't believe how beautiful it is....just so vast, and that cool salty breeze...just delicious...

1 comment:

Pam's Pride said...

After reading about your trip to the beach I asked DH how far it was to the nearest 'real' beach and it is about 9 hours for us. We have a gift card for $100 of gas the we earned with our rewards points that we want to use for a special trip with the kids...but I don't quite think it will be enough to get us to the beach and back in our 15 passanger!! Hehe!! I hear ya on everything going directly to the floor or seats!! Oh...the things you will remember from this trip!! I glad you had fun!