summer 2011

summer 2011

Paul and I, all 16 kids and Ashley, Benjamin's wife...Christmas 2012

Paul and I, all 16 kids and Ashley, Benjamin's wife...Christmas 2012
family

Friday, June 13, 2008

hot in here!

Jonny was the only boy in attendance at the annual girls activity club end-of-the-year party...and the theme was, dress as ugly as you can....so Jon was Captain Underpants...he is going to be mad someday! I did him a favor and didn't post the picture of him in full costume: his undies and a towel for a cape....do you like his mohawk? It is only for the party, he needed a summer haircut anyway.... The pool water was nice and cool, under the warm sunny skies....but don't get me wrong: I don't get much time out there.....Camille has to be in bed, and Charlotte doesn't like to go swimming for long....and she can't just wander around the yard while we swim, of course....

Suzanne, that umbrella goes on the little picnic table!


It was eighty six degrees here in the living room, when we decided to turn on the window air conditioner...it has cooled down a little...I don't really mind the heat, but when it gets really humid, it seems so smothery (is that a word?)....
My sister's surgery went fine. It took the dr. 3 hours to blast that large kidney stone....she's not out of the water yet, but I'm glad to hear it went well. Her daughter had her 4 wisdom teeth removed today, too, and is feeling pretty lousy - she is allergic to cold, so can't put icepacks on the swelling....thankfully they have some airconditioning, or they would be really miserable...


5 comments:

Martha said...

"allergic to cold"
Hmm... what does cold do to her? My hands actually hurt when I hold something cold, not a normal kind of hurt, but severe hurt. I think it is something like "Raynaud's Syndrome". I once had plantar's warts frozen on my feet and it was terribly painful. No ice packs for me either. Even ice cream can give me chapped lips, but I eat it anyway. :)

16 blessings'mom said...

Cheryl, is there a specific name for Claire's syndrome? She actually swells when in contact with cold, gets hives, if she eats ice cubes or popsicles, her throat swells....it is getting worse as she gets older. Cheryl, when you're feeling up to it, can you explain it better?

Martha said...

I used to get hives (probably still do) from pool water that was too cold. The hives showed up mostly on my stomach or legs. I don't spend much time otside in the winter.

Martha said...

Cold Urticaria : Allergic to Cold
I found a website http://iml.jou.ufl.edu/projects/Spring05/Bernfeld/

"Raynaud's Syndrome" can make your fingers, toes, etc. turn white. It is a circulation thing but can be triggered by cold. Sometimes my ring finger will turn white and feel numb. I'm not sure if its related to the cold sensitivity or noot. It odesn't bother me too much, just is an odd and flukey kind of thing.

cheryl said...

Martha: you're right about the term. It's pretty rare, although it sounds like you have it, with the hives/ swimming in cold water. I'd keep being careful, if I were you. We have a doctor friend who had it when she was young, but went swimming in Norway, and she got hives again. Our mother had Raynaud's Syndrome, and she suffered a lot with that. The freezer/dairy aisles were agony for her, along with winter! Claire actually gets hives on her sandaled feet sometimes in the grocery stores. She was able to get a handicapped parking tag because she commutes to Oswego, of all places. On some days, though, that doesn't even help!! She used to entertain her sisters by seeing how big her lips could get, but she has grown up a bit.. Now with the wisdom teeth her cheeks are huge, but that happens to most, whether or not ice packs are used.
By the way, Della, the hospital was freezing yesterday, and for me it was perfect. I was trying not to break out in a sweat!!