summer 2011

summer 2011

Paul and I, all 16 kids and Ashley, Benjamin's wife...Christmas 2012

Paul and I, all 16 kids and Ashley, Benjamin's wife...Christmas 2012
family

Tuesday, June 24, 2008

first day of vacation!!!!

I was finishing up the second coat of polyurethane on the tables, and Abigail, Mariel, and Molly were kind enough to have an ice-cream sundae party for the kids....to celebrate the first day of summer vacation....Charlotte Claire dressed up for the occasion...actually, she had on a pretty dress, but they took it off so she wouldn't ruin it....when Molly went out to take pictures, Abigail and Mariel ran..... The table looks better in the picture than it really does.....one website I looked at to find out how to finish this furniture said the most important part of the process is to have patience....and with all that goes on around here, wow....so, the poly-coating is not done as well as it could be....today we sanded off the stuff we put on yesterday, vacuumed the kitchen, wiped everything down, and did another coat....it is hard to do....when you go to fix the glops, it looks worse....
Joseph, 17, helped alot today....his opinion: we are just wasting our time trying to make the tables look nice...what's wrong with functional???? I say he's just lazy....



Here is the lonely "last one" chair....it will go nicely with our mismatched chair collection....too bad the nice benches will be on the other side of the table....I am too cheap to buy all new chairs....this one I couldn't pass up, it was cute and all alone...no, really it was cheap.....
Abigail just took some of the little kids on a walk, Charlotte Claire and Camille are in for their naps, and here I sit....I have been busy today....my mother-in-law just stopped in with dinner....she is home from Florida for the summer, and lives two towns away....only 15 minutes...she brought two pans of barbecued ribs, and a pan of homemade baked beans.....she brings over dinner about once a week during the summer. It is so nice of her. And so nice for me, not to have the what's-for-dinner-tonight dilemma....because I usually have a vague idea, but......I am not such a planner. Mariel and I need to grocery shopping....maybe after dinner. She hates to miss one bit of sunshine.......at least she gets plenty of vitamin D....
Evelyn didn't go on the walk, and she is asking every 24 seconds if I'll please please take her in the pool....good idea, but leave mommy alone for just a few minutes. So now, of course, I feel guilty....and I still have some phone calls to make today...whatever I am doing, I have that niggling feeling that I should be doing something else.....




4 comments:

Martha said...

"mismatched chair collection" We finally have benches that my husband made but for years we had mostly mismatched chairs too. We even had the "man-eating chairs". Those are the old wooden folding chairs that like to eat little people when they sit too close to the edge.

Pam's Pride said...

I love the color of the wood!! The table sure looks good in the picture!!
I just went by my local Walgreens and they had ICEEs for .10 each....any size! All 5 of my kiddos were able to get a large one and it only cost me .50! I asked the girl and she said the sale is going on all week so if you have a Walgreens near you it would be worth a call to see if they are having the sale too.

Martha said...

I like your coat rack and shoe shelf. Looks familiar.

Cassandra said...

I love the table, it looks great in the picture, and your 1 lonely chair is very cute... You've done a great job.....
I love buying baby things too, i have to resist at the moment though, so many sales going on i culd go crazy but im being good....