summer 2011

summer 2011

Paul and I, all 16 kids and Ashley, Benjamin's wife...Christmas 2012

Paul and I, all 16 kids and Ashley, Benjamin's wife...Christmas 2012
family

Friday, March 6, 2009

aaron says we're losers.....

Yes, we are losers. Paul and I, that is. According to Aaron. Here is why: we are going on a little afternoon/evening out, and the older ones will have to hold down the fort.....they asked where we were going. I said, "To pick up my vacuum cleaner, to Lumber Liquidators (for flooring), and maybe to visit an old friend who is old...." So, I guess that qualifies us as losers....and he didn't even know we're planning a stop at the grocery store to get some cases of canned vegetables.

Here is Miss Charlotte Claire.....she will be three years old in 2 months. She doesn't do baby talk, she just talks in complete sentances. She does get her consonants mixed up, though. She likes gickles, for example.
Mirielle is such a nice big sister. Camille Anaya can be a handful....she was being a fussy grump when I was trying to get them ready for the library, so they were watching babies on You-Tube to distract her....

Oh, but Charlotte Claire is too close!

Here is just a random picture of Jonny. He is so cute, four year old boys are precious. I hope he is not my last four year old boy.....have I really enjoyed him enough? He asks the best questions, he is like a little sponge. He wants to know things like when it is dark out on the other side of the world, and North/South/East/West, and lots of questions about where things come from, and if things are "good for you"....he is still a battery-holic, and he still bites the wheels off his trucks, then gets upset when they get lost. He has a sense of justice....he gets very offended if he is misunderstood, because he is very seldom just "bad".......he has a good reason for why he is doing whatever he is doing....
I will never get any better at the what's-for-dinner-dilemma. No. I do fine for a few days, then I am back to the old, what-the-heck-are we having. Believe me, this gets pretty difficult when there are 17 people to feed. You can't even just say, oh, we'll have sandwiches.....because you have to have enough bread. Or soup....we do 7 or 8 cans of tomato soup. Last night, I served my wimpy dinner, chicken nuggets and fries/tator tots. With mixed veges, of course, to make it healthy. ha. I did make some gourmet nuggets, though, I cooked some up in a little canola oil in a frying pan, then added them to a bowl of butter/Frank's Hot sauce, they were like buffalo wings. And so good for you, ha.
I am getting a bit concerned about the economy. Not totally worried, but I have been thinking about stocking up a bit more on canned goods. So what if a stack of cases looks ugly in my kitchen. I had a dream a while back, before things started going downhill economy wise....I dreamed that things were really bad, and dark. People became angry, hungry, jealous of anyone who still had anything. Those who could still drive their cars were mobbed by these people. I dreamed I had to take someone to the doctor, but to drive through the towns was impossible.....we had to hide the fact that we had any food from those who were just lawlessly on the prowl. I know, I know, I have watched too many movies. But I do think we will look back on these past days of prosperity with whistfulness, thinking we didn't know how good we had it. I do take comfort in knowing that God has measured things out for me, He works all things for my good. And in Matthew it is written that when you seek His kingdom first, all things will be added to you.
Anyway, I mentioned last night that we should really get our flooring before the prices go up, and Aaron replied, "Yes, how can we go into a depression with this old carpet!" We really need some new windows here, too. The wood is rotting out. We built this house ourselves, and the windows are Anderson windows, and we have heard of many problems with them. But of course we misplaced all the paperwork that came with the windows, it is not in our building file. We have alot of windows, all of which are in need of replacement......oh well....
But on to more cheerful things. The house is still quiet, spring is coming, I still have some coffee in my cup. And I want to finish my book....



6 comments:

FLmom7 said...

Aaron sure is a comedian, isn't he? LOL!

As for 4 year olds, they are my favorite age (besides babies). They are just so cute, and they are more independent, but not too independent...

Amber said...

You dream doesn't sound that far off point. One of my family members has also had a dream like that. My husband works in the insurance business and it's funny how the economy has made people buy policies left and right. I thought it would've gone the other way. On another note, your babies are precious and I admire you can put a meal together for such a large family. There are only 3 1/2 in my house (I have a baby due in July) and it's hard for me to cook for us..haha

Anonymous said...

http://a.abc.com/media/primetime/xtremehome/apply/emheapplication12122005.pdf

I know I already said, half joking, that you should apply for one, but
I recently saw this: http://callmecrazy-momofsixteen.blogspot.com/2009/03/extreme-makeover-home-edition.html
and it made me think of you..
I think your family is deserving.
Just for having only one washer/dryer!! :)
kidding.. Just saying you could give it a try. If you're concerned about being on Tv just know that few people actually watch it, and those who do watch so many that they forget all about specific families, and just remember how weird the decoration was in the children rooms...

Anyway sorry for sending that comment again, it's none of my business. Still I send it :) Feel free to ignore it!

Anonymous said...

http://callmecrazy-momofsixteen.blogspot.com

Jess said...

I have been following your blog for some time but haven't commented. First off, I love it. Kudos to you for your family! I also have a 4-yo son and I love his comments too. What is it about a son that you dont want him to grow up?

I recently put a 5-tier shelf system (resin, very easy install about $40 at walmart) in my laundry room for canned goods, pasta, cereal, etc. I love great buys and when it's Must buy 5 or whatever I need space to store. They also make under the bed canned good organizers for people who have no space for a shelf system.

The extreme makeover comment...just had to comment I have been watching another site (not sure but google it if interested)..they list the homes that have foreclosed and been lost in bankrupcy b/c of higher maintenance, taxes, etc. Sad. I could see you in one of those homes but the cost is great.

I have told my husband for years they should be building an "average" home with average features and they could do 5 for the price of 1.

Anyway your family is awesome and I don't have a clue how you do it....but keep on blogging b/c I read you daily (or close to it!)....best of luck...

Piper Paradise said...

I have the same dream, about the food. I worry about not being able to feed our kids and of them going hungry. It's a scary world right now. I have started the steps to grow a garden this spring, hopefully to alleviate some of my fear.

Love your blog and your stories of your family. And I am a huge reader too. I read anything and everything I can get my hands on!!