summer 2011

summer 2011

Paul and I, all 16 kids and Ashley, Benjamin's wife...Christmas 2012

Paul and I, all 16 kids and Ashley, Benjamin's wife...Christmas 2012
family

Tuesday, March 3, 2009

ugh, the flu...

I am not feeling very well today. Not totally awful, just not good. Dizzy, headach-y, sore throat, achy.....and just plain blah. Margaret and Kathryn have been like this for a few days. So, this morning, I was bound and determined that I would be okay. I got up, got dressed, and felt like I was going to fall over....I somehow got the girls ready for school, then I went back to bed....Margaret and Kathryn were out here on the couches, and Evelyn stayed home....she is only nine, but hey, she feels fine....so she got to change and feed Charlotte Claire and Camille this morning. Then I find out that Joseph skipped for Senior skip day, and that Sam is home, supposedly not feeling well. He was playing video games with Joseph. No way, please. If you are okay, okay enough for video games, then you can take Camille for a while....please! I had an appointment today I had to cancel, too. Oh well.

That is the thing about being a mom. You can't just call in sick and stay in bed and get better. You can try to spread the responsibility around, so you can rest up minimally, but you know darn well you will pay for it later.....meaning: The kitchen will be a mess. I mean, a nine year old might be able to feed a two year old, a four year old, and a 15month old, but she cannot clean up the mess, too......The laundry room will start slipping, as the loads pile up, and the kids miss the correct hampers with careless aim. I cannot just be blissfully sick.....

And if the kids were at school where they are supposed to be, I wouldn't have any help at all. I considered having Paul come home, but he doesn't even stay home if he is sick, unless it is really bad....and he took a day off for Aaron's surgery. So here I sit. Jonathan and Charlotte Claire are playing waffletown and watching, "Little Brown Bear".....

I need to eat something so I am not so shaky....I hate being sick. But I hope that out of this, I find many opportunities to put my beliefs in practice, namely that God causes all things to work together for the good for those who love Him. And that he who overcomes will recieve the crown of life. And he who endures to the end will be saved.

I haven't made the reservations for our hotel night yet. It is just hard to spend that money. A few people made the suggestion that I go with Priceline or Hotwire, but with those, there are some unknowns. The biggest being there is an indication that the hotel has a pool, but not whether it is an outdoor pool or an indoor pool. That would break the vacation night, no indoor pool....so I am hesitant to take the gamble. And the other thing that is difficult: there are so many of us going.....I am resigned to getting two rooms, but most hotels won't even take that many in two rooms. There has to be an adult in each room, and Abigail is my other adult. Plus, if I went to three room, it would just cost too much. I don't want to cheat and claim only some of the kids if we go somewhere that has breakfast.......in addition to Abigail and I, we will have either 9 or 11 kids going with us. Most hotels simply say, Max. amount children exceeded. What a way to put it......

Well, I need to lie down....

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

ughhhh I'm sick too.....
Did you try the grape juice thing? to prevent other kids from getting sick..

SOmetimes I wonder if having a baby would help me get over my laziness, but I guess you answered me, when you're sick you're sick, it's not about laziness anymore. :)
Get well soon

Veronica @ Luv My Quiver Full Of Arrows said...

Glad I found your blog! You top the list on who has the most kids...you are so blessed!

I agree about delegating responsibility. I am pregnant and during my first trimester I was so ill, I had to depend on my 2 teenagers to help A LOT with the little ones and with the house, however, it just is never the same as when we clean, is it? However, they have been my left and right hands so often.

Praying right now that you feel better really soon!
xoxo, Veronica in CA

The Sweetest Things said...

hi, I found your blog a couple of days ago.I've been browsing around ever since. It's nice to meet the gang. Where are the pics of you and your hubby? Sorry to hear you're sick. Hope you get well soon. I have you bookmarked and will place your link on my blog as well. Have a nice day (and get well soon)

Cassandra said...

I hope you feel better soon Della!
You are so right saying we cannot be blissfully sick, and it always amazes me how its the little things that pile up to make such a big mess, the cothes that miss the hamper etc...
We too were just talking about going away for a few nights but the same thing happens when i put in how many kids we have... guest numbers exceeded and its for a 3 bedroom apartment ! funny thing is the will take 8 adults but not 2 adults 5 kids and a baby, go figure... So i cant imagine how it must be for you to book hotel rooms,
Anyway, i hope you feel better soon, if we lived closer i would come over and take the lttle kids and send you to bed with some soup.... ((((())))))

Brandi said...

Hope you get to feeling better soon! Wish I knew an answer to your hotel dilema. If I were closer your kiddos culd come pile up here...yes ALL of them would be welcome. It would do my hubby good...he has been watching to muh of the duggars and thinks I need to go untie my tubes.

Kris said...

I can commiserate too, on the hotel rooms. We were just hoping to go as a family ( well, almost :) to my son's basketball tournament. I was so surprised how adamant they were about only so many kids max, so many people max in a room ( 4 was the magic number.)
So, since we wanted to take 8 kids and two parents, we would have to get 3 rooms (!?!), even though 3 of the kids were under 6 and could easily sleep on a pallet on the floor or in a pack n play.
Very frustrating.