summer 2011

summer 2011

Paul and I, all 16 kids and Ashley, Benjamin's wife...Christmas 2012

Paul and I, all 16 kids and Ashley, Benjamin's wife...Christmas 2012
family

Saturday, April 18, 2009

blockbuster!

What do you get when you take six children to blockbuster? Kid's movies! Only kid's movies. Tinkerbell. Marley And Me. Doogal. Bedtime Stories. Bolt. We chose to watch Marley And Me first, and here is my review:

This movie should not have been rated PG, the word sh&& was in it. I do not say that word, nor do I want my kids to hear it in a pg movie. ( But I guess pg DOES mean Parental Guidance suggested) The theme was too adult, they way they were "trying" for a baby, the bedroom scene from their Ireland trip, and the skinny-dipping on his 40th birthday. Aside from all that, the movie dragged on and on. The dog was bad. Very bad. It was funny the way he ripped the snot out of the pillow the very first night, and his behaviour did not get much better. The mom whined alot, the dad was discontent, the kids seemed like too much work, the dog trashed the house. It was not enjoyable to watch. Then the dog got old, and had to be put to sleep. Oh joy. I just went through this in real life, and then had to watch it happen to sweet old Marley. (They made a mistake in the movie, Marley closed his eyes when he died, in real life they keep them open)....it is sad that I know this. I wish I did not have the memories of Champ, but I do. I did not enjoy this movie, but that may be because of Champ.

So, hopefully the next movies will be better. After the movie store, we went to BJ's Wholesale club. I got milk and eggs and bread and bathroom cleaner and a Swifter Mop. ( I am such a nerd, I can't wait to try it!). Suzanne had her purse with her, with $50 birthday money in it. She wanted to buy this stuffed panda bear that takes batteries and opens it's eyes and purrs (do pandas purr?) for $24.90. That money is just burning a hole....I used my executive power to say NO. I knew it wasn't worth it, and that she would regret it. So I stuck to it, even though she sulked. We got back into the van to head home, and I decided to take them to the dollar store and they could each get one thing. They were relatively practical there, the girls all picked out nice coloring books, except for Evelyn who wanted peach colored lip-gloss. I thought that was stupid, but I didn't feel like using the executive power and dealing with the pouting, so I let her. And, somehow it got lost. We just didn't come home with it, and I swear I didn't pocket it or put it back. I love that dollar store. I bought two sixpacks of Pillsbury muffins, dated April 20th, a pajama sleeper for Camille, two five packs of CowTails(strawberry), a package of big fat RoseArt crayons with a KMart tag that said $1.39, for 50 cents. And a three-pack of socks for the girls.

I had put a Butterball Turkey in the oven at noon, so when we were out and about, I knew that turkey would be getting done. Paul was home with Camille, and when we got home, ooh, heavenly smell. It was six o'clock, so we put the stuff away, Paul carved the turkey, I microwaved three cans of corn, and we had hot turkey on bread, and corn. (Mirielle would NOT approve of all those carbs!)....but it was quick and easy and soooo good. The kids just ate more and more turkey. It was very moist and tender and good, and no, they are not paying me to say that. Hmm, I think I'll go get some from the 'fridge. With bread, and pickles, and pepper. yum.

Am I boring anyone to tears yet? I can put myself to sleep. But one thing I have found out that I have to share: when you have a barfing seventeen month old, when she gets better you can't believe how nice and easy it is to take care of her! And how funny she is! She now yells, "SONJA!" to the top of her little lungs, and when S.K. answers her, she just keeps yelling it. She sat there in the highchair at dinner, trying to put the corn on her spoon. She would yell, "MOM, MOM, MOM!", until I helped her, then in two minutes she would do it again. Great. I mean YELLING. Oh well.

4 comments:

Bobbie-Jo said...

Thanks for the review on Marley and Me. My mom had the same opinion, so now I know to totally avoid it. :)

cat said...

Just happened upon your blog from Debi's. Gosh, I know you hear it all the time, but you do have your hands full. I'd love to know if they are all biologically yours (although the last 2 don't add up) - but you are a woman I admire!

I enjoyed Marley but it is definitely and adults movies and not a kids movie. And I am very partial towards labradors I am a huge fan. And I loved the book years ago.

Greetings from South Africa.

FLmom7 said...

I didn't like the movie Marley and Me, but the book is really good. It's one of my favorites. I don't know how they took such a great book and ruined it in movie form.

I have had a swiffer mop for years, I love mine and can't bring myself to go back to any other kind of mop. Hope you like yours!

Robin said...

I felt the same way about the movie, was embarrassed at a couple of parts
(watched with my older kids).