summer 2011

summer 2011

Paul and I, all 16 kids and Ashley, Benjamin's wife...Christmas 2012

Paul and I, all 16 kids and Ashley, Benjamin's wife...Christmas 2012
family

Monday, April 27, 2009

a puppy!

no, not yet. See, I want one. I know it is no substitute for a baby, but I would like to cuddle and nurture and be distracted by a puppy. Not to mention I was a little scared the other night, being here alone with the little ones and NO barking dog. So, after Mali's dentist appointment today, we went to the S.P.C.A. They had two dogs they thought would be suitable for a family with a young child (they have no idea HOW MANY young childs)....one was a mutt with spots like a dalmatian, 1 year old, friendly, trained, medium small, very nice, named Otis. I didn't love Otis, but I probably would after like 5 minutes. The next one: a cocker spaniel named Conner, which I would change to something more like Prince Valient or Mr. Sweety. He is four years old, beautiful with those captivating puppy-like eyes, very calm and obedient....and get this: he is a casualty of divorce. The dog-keeper-lady said the man dropped him off just crying. I wanted to ask if they dropped off the kids too. The poor dog. I really would like him. But: I do not think they will approve us for adoption of a dog. Two years ago they denied our request to adopt a kitten. A KITTEN! No offense to animal lovers, because I am also one, but KITTENS are a DIME A DOZEN!!!! Mali and Aaron kept calling and asking if we were approved yet, and they finally decided that we were not, because: we have too many kids. Okay. I somehow saw this as a GOOD thing. Lots of kids to feed the kitty, and play with it....I love animals, but these new-age crazies who think animals have more rights than people...oh, never mind. Anyway, we probably won't get approved for a puppy unless we accidentally forget to mention how many kids we have. Is that the same as lying? Hmm. I really like that Mr. Sweety.

One other problem: Paul does not want another dog. I asked him what we should do then, since I DO want another dog. He replied that I always do what I want anyways. At least 97% of the time. Now that is strange to me, because I could swear that I do what he wants like 97% of the time, and what I want like the other three. I seriously do not want to barge ahead and get a dog if he doesn't really want one. Wait, yes I do. Rats. I need to do some thinking......

Well, my kids had a wonderful 90 degree afternoon, filling the little pool with sand...and we ate dinner out on the deck. Burgers on the grill....can't get much better than that.

Camille Anaya is being a big cry-baby. Evelyn is asking her if she wants to look out the window, and she is saying, "NO way!"....she can't say much, but she can say, "Stop It!, and NO Way!"

3 comments:

Brandi said...

I say fill out the paperwork, and see what happens. Ask if you can schedule a visit between the kids and the dog to see how the dog reacts. If the dog reacts well, then they really do not have a reason to say no. Especially if you can get them to call a couple of references on past animals.

I want a grill and deck. Burgers on the back dck sounds wonderful! Glad you guys had a nice day.

cheryl said...

You could pretend you are me, I only have 5 girls left at home ages almost 16 to 24, very nice and very lovely.. (I had to add that in case there are any young, handsome, faithful, wholehearted, handsome, Church fellas that read your blog..just kidding) .. perhaps I could get the dog, then gift it to you, for a fee, or large donation, of course.. for your birthday!! Do you have to keep it for a certain amount of time, like a grant/mortgage or something? I just wrote a whole bunch of silly stuff, then backspaced, so anyway, it's an idea. Would this count as deceitful? Not that I need to ask..

SuzyQ said...

Wish I lived near you...I would procure a dog for you! EVERY (well almost every) family needs a dog, and there are MANY dogs that need families!! Big & small. I have 5 kids, 3 dogs, 1 cat, and many birds...can't imagine life without them....they sure do love you no matter what!! Good luck on the search. I think that SPCA is being ridiculous.