summer 2011

summer 2011

Paul and I, all 16 kids and Ashley, Benjamin's wife...Christmas 2012

Paul and I, all 16 kids and Ashley, Benjamin's wife...Christmas 2012
family

Friday, April 10, 2009

what a trip!

For some reason I can't put up our fantastic pictures.....here's how our trip has gone: we stopped in Watertown for lunchbreak and went into my favorite grocery store, Price-Chopper, and they are not paying me to say that. Mali had forgotten her contact solution, so we got some of that, ordered a few fish dinners ($3.99 for 1/2 lb. fillet of fish, fries, cole slaw), bought some meat at the deli, some rolls, chips, and a bottle of soda. We ate in the restaurant area. It is nice because they give you cups and ice and napkins....anyway, I also ordered two pizzas which we brought with us for later.....our trip was of course punctuated by the usual, "when are we going to get there...." _+ a new one, "Why did God make Canada so far away?" (Jon)....He also said, "if we had eaten breakfast faster, we would be there quicker", and "Remember, Mom, the faster we go the quicker we'll get there...." Now all this fun was shadowed by the fact that Suzanne had barfed the night before and wasn't feeling well. There's nothing like the possibility of someone barfing in the van to add that extra excitement. She didn't, but she wasn't feeling too great.

We got to the hotel, dragged everything in, and went to the pool. Camille was so happy....she just loved it. Charlotte Claire enjoyed it too. After an hour or so, we went back to our room and had pizza....then after lounging around (and chasing Camille)(I felt like a bad mommy, but several times I wished we had left her home with Joe).....we decided to go for a ride and see the town. The little girls had put on their jammy/around-the-house-clothes....which turned out interesting because we unanimously voted to stop at the DairyQueen. I went through the drive-through, and decided against that because it was too confusing. So, we went in. That is when I realized Sonja had on red velvet pants and purple socks with her gold sneakershoes. Suzanne had on grey sweatpants/capris and flipflops. But DairyQueen was an adventure. I had each one come up to the register and tell me what they wanted, and the total went up up up....$38! But there were 13 of us, though Camille shared with me. One of the little girls expressed concern that we had spent so much, and I told her not to worry, it was only Monopoly money. Ha. They haven't ever been able to just choose from the menu like that before.....anyway, everyone was looking at us, which made it worse that I somehow smashed my hand into Abigail's chocolate dipped cone.....and even worse that a group of teenage boys were sitting there....


Anyway, after that, every one gathered in the other room so I could sit in the dark and rock Camille and get her to bed. It didn't take very long, and then I joined the kids in the other room for a while....then we sneaked back in here: Evelyn, Suzanne, who slept in one bed, Jon who slept on the floor between the beds, Sonja who shared a bed with me.....they were so good, sneaking in and brushing teeth and getting quietly into bed. Then the long sleepless night: I hope tonight will be better. Camille only woke up 4 times, but I had to pick her up and nurse her only twice. Jon woke up a few times, Suzanne barfed, but made it to the bathroom....

Then, this morning's breakfast: it was actually very good. A wafflemaker, so we made plenty of waffles....and there were hardboiled eggs, juice, muffins, fruit, coffee, cereal, oatmeal, toast..... and people were counting.....oh, I don't really mind, but sometimes it would be nice to just blend....."Oh, you have the whole crew!"....I didn't bother to explain that some were still sleeping, and some were at home, and on and on....anyway.....breakfast was good. Now we are lying around, the little ones had a nice long bath.....our room has sliding glass doors to a nice screened porch, which leads to a nicely landscaped courtyard...the kids were out there collecting acorns. It is all a great adventure for them. We will see how today goes: I don't know yet if I am bringing Mali to Ottowa or if Mirielle is coming to get her....

So, despite the fact that I woke up what seems like 500 times last night, we are having a nice little vacation. ......

2 comments:

AUTISMOMMA said...

I'm with ya' there on the sleep. I think DD17mos must have woken up at least 312 times last night, but then, that's just an estimate of course.

Ya' know, I think sometimes you ought to just really have some fun with people like the ones you came in contact with who were counting kids and making comments. Maybe say something like, "Well, they're not ALL here. I left some of them home with my husband's other wife." And then just go about your waffle-making. Oh, that would be such a hoot!

KrustyLynn said...

Oh, it sounds like y'all had the best time! I used to love family vacations most of all--mostly because that's when everyone seemed to get along...but anyway. :) It's so nice that you were able to take your kids on a little vacation! It's those sorts of things that they'll always remember! :)