summer 2011

summer 2011

Paul and I, all 16 kids and Ashley, Benjamin's wife...Christmas 2012

Paul and I, all 16 kids and Ashley, Benjamin's wife...Christmas 2012
family

Monday, April 27, 2009

of proms and things....

A question was asked recently about the prom....did my boys not go by choice, or are they not allowed. I will try to answer that.

9 of my kids are "youth age", which in our church is 12 years old to 35. That is the age they are allowed to go to meetings specially geared towards their age group, and go to all other activities that the the youth are involved in like volleyball, other sports, trips, ect.

All of my youth kids are involved in these things except for Benjamin, because when he was 15 or 16 he started to not want to be along in them. He has his own friends, and frankly, he has the most difficult life of all my children, it seems.

Anyway, I am sure those of you who read your bibles know it is written to "flee youthful lusts"....and that Jesus said, "he who looks at a woman with lust has commited adultery in his heart"....these are serious things. To keep oneself pure in the teenage years is quite possible. These kids who choose to be along in the youth group, and live whole-heartedly for God simply do not date. They use their time for more wholesome things. They are thus spared the heartache and nonsense, not to mention the sinful possibilities that all that brings. Then, if and when they marry when they get older, they have kept themselves pure, which is a precious thing. My kids who have followed this course are very happy and well-adjusted, though I am sure they have had their share of battles and temptations.

So: the prom. Emily actually went to the prom with some of her cousins, all girls. They had fun doing manicures and curling their hair. They wore no make-up, but were lovely. My boys, ouldn't picture them going. Benjamin went, but he has had a girlfriend for quite a few years now.

So the answer to the question: if they wanted to go, we would let them. We would, and have, though, have certain rules regarding bringing boyfriends and girlfriends here, as we would rather not have the younger ones think it is a good thing. Benjamin was with his girlfriend for over a year before we let him bring her around. This may seem harsh, but we do not think it is good or right to just have boyfriends/girlfriends like that, and if we allow it in our home, we are saying it okay. It also seems harsh that we tell our younger ones that we don't think Ben is making good choices, but we do love him anyway, and we actually really like his girlfriend, too.

So, that is what we believe, and it it goes well.

4 comments:

AUTISMOMMA said...

I asked and I'm so glad you took the time to answer. You did a very good job of explaining it and I know you didn't have to offer an explanation at all but I love reading about your family and I was curious...so thank YOU for sharing!

Anonymous said...

Its a hard balance. I agree with you. I didn't date until I was 18. And it turned out to be my husband. I was pure until marriage. Now just because we are split right now doesn't mean anything. Sometimes things just can't work out. I do not think I will ever look at another man. He chose to cheat on me, and to have an addiction to lust on the computer. Blah. Anyway.

How do I tell my daughter that her uncle who she loves is doing things very wrong. It bothers me so bad. I also do not want her thinking her uncle is horrible, but I cannot have her thinking what they are doing is right.

I went to prom, but with friends. And frankly it is the most OVERRATED waste of money I have ever seen.

OurLilFullFam said...

You know Della, I agree with everything you said.

There is a homeschool prom thing here, but we haven't had to deal with that yet.

I always tell my kids when they ask about if me or daddy did, x, y or z "Well, daddy and I didn't do it the right way because we did not have Jesus" That has answered many a tough question around here!

Your kids are amazing and you are doing a great job with them. I can't believe you have a church where the whole youth group doesn't date, that is amazing!!!

Stephanie

Dr.Rutledge said...

Hi,

I'm a physician and former faculty member at Harvard and Stanford Medical Schools. I discovered your blog while looking for the best writers on the web. I reviewed your posts (quite surprised you have time to write!), and think your writing would be a great addition to the Parenting Community on Wellsphere, a top 5 health website that has nearly 5 million visitors monthly. If you would like to learn more about how you can join our Health Blogger Network, republish your blog posts and be featured on the Wellsphere platform, just drop me an email at dr.rutledge@wellsphere.com.

Cheers,
Geoff