summer 2011

summer 2011

Paul and I, all 16 kids and Ashley, Benjamin's wife...Christmas 2012

Paul and I, all 16 kids and Ashley, Benjamin's wife...Christmas 2012
family

Saturday, December 5, 2009

at the airport in Charlotte, N.C

We are in the good U.S. of A. again. And just to make us feel comfortable and secure while we wait three hours for our flight home, every 15 minutes a recorded message warns us to watch our bags and report any suspicious activity to the nearest law enforcement. Does that include the cool dude who just walked by saying words that would have had my mother feeding him a bar of soap?

Going through airport security is lots of fun. You get to take your shoes off, and walk through a metal dectector and if it goes off because of your watch or maybe your barette, you get to get patted down. I almost walked away without one of my bags, and they had to call me back. I was laughing, that embarrassed laugh, but they did not think it was one bit funny. Walking away without one's bag is considered suspicious behaviour, I guess. Not just plain stupid.

One of the fun things about traveling is seeing all the nice strollers. I just saw a nice Inglesina with a matching car seat. It makes me want another baby. Well, seeing the babies makes me want one, too. People travelling with infants probably just think I am a crazy lady, smiling at their babies. They do not know that I have had 16 babies, and I love love love them.

There is one thing I have noticed in this world, and it is that many moms walk along with their children tagging along, without even checking to see if they are still following. I thought this was something that happened in places like Walmart and in parking lots, but: it happened at the resort in Jamaica. I thought I was going to have to grab one little two-year-old, she stopped at the pool edge and was teetering...and I was in the pool. Her mama was strutting by in her bikini with not a care in the world, and oops, she remembered her child, and turned around and yelled at the toddler, like it was the child's fault she stopped to explore....oh, I don't mean to be critical, but I noticed it there alot.

Paul and I just split a coffee from Starbucks, and I ate the donut I stole from the buffet breakfast at the resort this morning. Well, I was going to eat it, but since I had an omelet with red and green peppers and bacon and tomatoes and onions AND a tiny pastry, AND a small belgium waffle....I didn't want to be a pig, so I wrapped it in my napkin and put it in my purse. And I forgot all about it when the customs people asked if I was bringing any food into the country. I thank the dear Lord they didn't search my purse. I would have had to say, "Paul, is this YOUR donut?"

Well, my battery is running low, and we are hungry. I cannot wait to get home and see everyone!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I so enjoy reading your posts. =) Welcome back!! Or almost back?! I've noticed that about people and their kids, too. I just thought I was overprotective because my little guy (well, he's 6) has autism and I HAVE to actually SEE him almost all the time because if he does wander off he can't explain anything to me, probably won't come if I call and it's SCARY. I can't blame him for being curious about things, though. Anyway...glad I'm not the only one who's noticed...but I don't want to be critical either. =)