summer 2011

summer 2011

Paul and I, all 16 kids and Ashley, Benjamin's wife...Christmas 2012

Paul and I, all 16 kids and Ashley, Benjamin's wife...Christmas 2012
family

Wednesday, December 2, 2009

I miss Della!!!

I keep thinking of going to the phone to call her.. it must be a habit of mine and now I'm going through withdrawal. THEY should make a patch for that. Maybe I could invent one, like the glow in the dark pacifier that Della and I invented many years ago. No, we did not make millions, not even one cent. But I do miss her, in a good way, and I continue to hope she's having a great time, although that's kind of a waste, because SURELY she's having way too much fun.
I called and talked to Evelyn last night, according to her all is fine. Joe was in charge as the youth girls went out to fellowship. And today is nice and sunny, so I'm sure Mariel and Abigail will be enjoying some outdoor time with them.
When Della said I could be a guest blogger, I was wondering what I could get away with, and if she'd ever talk to me again.. Just kidding. What could I tell about her that isn't evident through her own posts? Then it came to me, I could brag about what a beautiful baby she was.. I have 7 lovely (to say the least) daughters, ages 16.5 to 26.5 (to the day). And I have enjoyed them more than words can say, from the moment they were conceived.. But I must admit that my first real baby was Della. My mother must have given birth to her just for me. When she was born, my dad worked the night shift at the county sewage treatment plant, so my brothers and I spent the night there.. waiting.. back then one didn't usually know if they were having twins, much less a boy or girl.. so she was a very welcome surprise for all of us after 4 boys in a row. But for me? I truly believed she was a real live doll sent to me by God. And she was absolutely beautiful; I brought her 5"x7" picture in to school, and the teacher kept it on her desk for all to see. And she just kept getting cuter! I was also probably way to possessive for a 10 year old girl. When my friends came over, I would glare at my mother when she'd let them hold her. And there was no way I'd let them push her carriage.
We shared a room pretty much all of our at home lives, she became an adorable toddler, then a sweet little girl. When she became a knockout of a teenage girl, I would tell our mother what she should/shouldn't do or wear. She grew up safely, got married to a handsome, great (and perfect for her) guy, and started her family. And most importantly, to me, she is a most faithful servant of God, and my best woman friend. I can't tell how many times she has been an encouragement to me in all the trials and everyday life situations. Okay, so now I am crying writing my own guest blog post.
So, Martha, do you really think I'd be happy with a jar of sand? Yes, I would!!!, but I'm most happy that she's able to go and spend time with her best man friend. And I know that Della would have a great time anywhere she goes, she's that kind of person. So I'd like to end by saying that I've been very lucky to have such a wonderful mother who shared her sweet baby daughter with me, and I'm thankful for both of them, and for the wonderful role models they've been for me.

5 comments:

Sherah said...

That was such a fun post to read, thank you Cheryl!! I was also 10 when my baby sister was born and it really is a magical number of years apart, because she was always special to me growing up too. Plus, she loved me and that always melts a 10 year old girl's heart! Even though I am number 2 of 11 children, she has always been special.

Now I have a 10 year old daughter and just had a baby girl 4 months ago. (seven altogether) They do have a special relationship as well and it is fun to see!

How about Della, did any of her girls have a fun baby brother/sister when they were age 10? Ha ha that's a dumb question, I'm sure almost every one of them got to be 10 and have a new baby in the home. =)

Thanks for sharing!

Anonymous said...

what a sweet tribute to your sister. I think she is a role model for me too and I barely know her!!

Martha said...

Cheryl, I'm sure your sweet Della will bring you something much better than a bottle full of sand! The sunshine looks wonderful right now, but then again the wood stove feels awfully nice too.

I love the story about your precious baby sister. how wonderful that your teacher kept that picture on her desk for you! My girls are also almost ten years apart (with three brothers in between) and have a special bond. Hannah is madly in love with her little nephew, Josh. Poor Lukie has some tough competition for her affection.

Really, really we will have to meet each other some day.

Anonymous said...

=) That was beautiful.

Enola said...

aww how sweet (sniff)