summer 2011

summer 2011

Paul and I, all 16 kids and Ashley, Benjamin's wife...Christmas 2012

Paul and I, all 16 kids and Ashley, Benjamin's wife...Christmas 2012
family

Monday, December 7, 2009

monday morning in real life

After all these years, who would think I would forget I have to get the kids up for school when Paul is leaving for work? He patted my foot as he left the room, I thought he was just being nice. And I rolled over and conked out again. Then Kathryn came in and patted my foot, and OH YEAH, I have to get up!

Rosie went out with them and barked at the bus, then went across the street to the neighbors to run around with their dog for a bit...I got my jacket and shoes on and went out to get her, since she totally ignored my calling her. How did I get such a bad dog? I just don't get it. How can I make her listen to me? Oh, she will come like lightening when she knows there is something yummy.....she has totally selective hearing. She has been told over and over again, NO NO, but that will not stop her from putting her face into the kitchen garbage can and having a snack. She cannot resist. She has gotten a lot better though, she treats the kids well, and seems to fit right in here. I cannot imagine life without her. She is so big and stupid and huggy. (hmm, my mother always said a dog resembled the master.....)

So we have to go grocery shopping this morning. ha. Morning. Mirielle and Abigail were still up when I went to bed at almost one o'clock. They won't be ready to go for hours now unless I go wake them up.

It seems so cold out. The highest temperature we can expect all week is 40, with the lows at night going down to the low twenties and high teens. brr.

When I was gone last week, in the time warp, I did not let myself think about anything stressful. So now it seems I have just fast-forwarded a week. All of the sudden, Christmas is 17 days away. And I am not done shopping, I have not started wrapping, and there are parties and concerts (the high school band concert is tonight), and class presents to buy. I know this isn't SUPPOSED to be a stressful time of year. And if you read the magazine articles about keeping it simple, it sounds so nice....but what do I cut back on? Sorry kids, you cannot participate in the gift exchange at school because Mom doesn't want to buy 5 presents? Anyway.....it is busy, but I do like it. The younger kids had so much fun decorating the house. They are happy and excited, so I am just trying to enjoy it all.

Paul, Joseph, and Aaron are going to a church conference on the West Coast in January, so that is basically the two boys' Christmas present. Between airfare and conference fees, wow. But Aaron turns 17 on Thursday of this week, then Abigail has a birthday on Sunday, then Margaret turns 13 on the 22nd. So I have to make sure I get some birthday presents, too.

I knew the omelets and fresh squeezed orange juice were temporary last week, but still...my Cap'n Crunch was lacking this morning. All I want is to go back.....I would LOVE to be able to take all the kids. I was telling them last night about all the good food, and how nice the endless pool was, and they were like, "No fair!".....but we'll be extremely lucky if Paul and I get to go again, much less take all the kids. (and going through customs with them all would be a nightmare).......oh well, I don't have to worry about it.

No comments: