summer 2011

summer 2011

Paul and I, all 16 kids and Ashley, Benjamin's wife...Christmas 2012

Paul and I, all 16 kids and Ashley, Benjamin's wife...Christmas 2012
family

Thursday, December 10, 2009

cold and windy

And they went out to play in it. Abigail and Mirielle watched them while I took Ben to get his license re-instated. $64.50 to the great state of New York. We saw a middle aged lady at the next window there with her elderly father.....and she was ranting that she was going to be in trouble for being late for work, AGAIN. Her poor dad. ( he didn't look like he should be driving, to me). The lady GRABBED a paper out of his hand and turned and headed for the door as he hobbled behind her. The motor vehicle lady that had waited on them was like, "OH my GOD did you see the way that woman treated her father?" I wonder if her father ever treated her like that when she was little.....

Benjamin and I went to Wegmans for eggs, it cost $71. Because I cannot go in and just get eggs. I got apples and tortilla shells and butter and green beans and corn and microwave popcorn and fresh burger (they have really good 90% beef, for $1.99 a pound), and a brown-sugar cured ham for $1.49 a pound. And two rolls of tape, because in our house, we run out of tape while present wrapping, every single year. Because to my kids, tape is something to be treasured and wasted. I hide it and forget where I hid it. I still cannot find the tea I brought home from Jamaica.

Now we are home again, and the kids have had their lunch, and I am going to wrap a few more presents with them. We are having burgers and salad for dinner, it is Aaron's birthday!! He is seventeen years old today. I remember when he was born.....he was my biggest baby, 9 pounds one ounce. The nurse told me to push and she would go get the dr...ha. He was born on the first push. Anyway, when he was born there was a big snow storm. Paul had gone home to be with the kids, and when he tried to come up to visit me later, the truck spun around in the driveway and struck the deck at an odd angle, and he couldn't get it out...so he called me and said he wouldn't be up until the next day. So my brother Billy, the one who died in March, brought my mom up to the hospital. They stayed for hours, just talking and holding Aaron. One of my happiest memories is of how Aaron kept turning his head to try to see Billy when he heard his voice. My mother thought all her grandchildren were special, and I remember how amazed she was by this. One day old and turning toward Billy. I mean turning all the way around, with his little eyes wide open. Until he found Billy's face, then looking at him.

So, now Aaron is 17, and he does not want a birthday party. I got him a few presents, and he had his cake last night when I was gone with Benjamin. I love him dearly, he is such a good boy. When the kids grow up, I of course love the adults they are, but I miss the kids that they were.

Well, Camille needs a nap, and I have things to do.....

5 comments:

Martha said...

I know what you mean, I love the adults they are and miss the kids they were too.

Virginia Revoir said...

Mannnnn! I'm scared about my kids growing older! I mean, sometimes it's so hard for me and I feel like all I do is clean all the time. But still. I love their littleness and their sweet things they do per age. Like a 2 or 3 year old trying to say "batteries" and instead it comes out "battabies." Just so cute.

holly said...

can you remove that last part...it is my password, and I am not sure how it got up in the message. HAHA!

Cassandra said...

Happy Birthday Aaron!!
I dont want my babies to grow up, i am trying to really cherish them as they get older and like you said you like the people they become but i know i will miss them as 'little' kids... if that makes any sense...

cassandra xx

16 blessings'mom said...

Holly, Happy 16th to your daughter! And thanks for the comments, everyone.