summer 2011

summer 2011

Paul and I, all 16 kids and Ashley, Benjamin's wife...Christmas 2012

Paul and I, all 16 kids and Ashley, Benjamin's wife...Christmas 2012
family

Thursday, February 4, 2021

tulips and target and sunshine....

 Let's start off with this:  it's sunny outside! The sunshine on the snow reflects into the house, highlighting the dust, ha.  It's really nice, and warming up today to a respectable 32 degrees! (0c).  

Last night's dinner:  chicken pot pie.  I'll give the general recipe, but be warned, I don't use recipes!  My pot pies are never exactly the same!

Yesterday, I used a can of cream of chicken soup, a 32 ounce chicken broth, and some water.  I put about 5 pounds of frozen chicken breast in it, a generous sprinkling of rosemary, and some pepper.  I simmered it a few hours, then pulled the chicken out and chopped it up.  I added sliced carrots, and a few potatoes, cubed.  I usually put in a bag of frozen mixed veggies, but I didn't have any.  I thickened it up with some flour and water.  (this made exactly enough for two huge pot pies, deep dish.)

The crust was the butter pie crust recipe I posted before:

2 1/2 cups flour, mixed with half teaspoon of salt

Add two sticks of cubed butter, put in food processor (or use pastry cutter to blend it in, pea size pieces for the butter...food processor is so much easier!)

Remove from processor into a big bowl, add ice cold water a little bit at a time, tossing the dough, until it seems damp enough but not soggy, form into two balls, flatten into disks, wrap and put away.  I do this twice to make two pot pies.  I roll out the dough after cooling the soupy mixture a bit, then just put them together and bake.  Oh, I top them with a bit more butter, and salt and pepper.   I've learned the hard way to bake them on a cookie sheet with parchment paper, so the butter doesn't drip all over the oven.  You'll know when they're done, they get golden brown and the house smells amazing.


The snow stopped yesterday, and it was a lovely evening.  When the setting sun reflects on the snow, wow.


A lazy pic from the kitchen window...

Tulips.  I look forward to tulips.  I love winter, but spring, ahh.  And Target, I've been avoiding Target like the plague, because it takes my money like nobody's business.  I put things carefully into the cart, things that seem worth it, thoughtful purchases, then at the register, bam, the total is significantly higher than it should be!  And who am I kidding, do I REALLY need more candles, or that cute mug, or a bag of M&M's?    yes.

Spring...I'm looking forward to being able to change things up in here, and in my room.  I've got a black comforter with red and black check on the back, and black patterned pillows, which I like...but are so wintery.  I've already got a pink duvet cover, and some khaki pillow covers, for spring.  I bought some really pretty pink floral to put slip covers on those black pillows, just to change the look and brighten it up in there.  I hope Paul doesn't mind some pink.

Of course in the midst of all these things are the trials, the realities, the things we would rather avoid, but are so necessary if we would get oil in our lamps.  To get victory over being anxious, one has to have trials that would tempt to anxiety, right?  We aren't meant to just stay in it!  

So have a really really good day, stay hopeful!

3 comments:

Marilyn said...

Della that pie sounds delicious. I can’t eat it though as I have a SEVERE gluten allergy and that is sad as there’s so many things I can’t eat. I’ve tried numerous recipes for GF pastry.....FAIL🙄 I make a yummy chicken pot pie soup though and that is very good too. Your pictures are lovely and I’m glad you are warming up a bit. We are too! -10C here this morning....better than -23C the other day 😬😬 Have a great day!!

Marilyn from Canada 🇨🇦

Jeanette said...

That chicken pot pie looks really good! We got 3-4 inches of snow last night. I'm over it already! I go to Target at least every other week. I mostly have to have tunnel vision to get to the things I need or I would buy out the store! Especially at the front where they have all those things for 1-5 dollars!

16 blessings'mom said...

Marilyn, I haven't had any luck making a low carb crust either. I tried in the fall to substitute almond and coconut flour for regular in a pie crust but it didn't really work, it was heavy and falling apart. I ate it anyway, it was an apple pie with no added sugar, so it was still good, but the crust was a fail.
Jeanette, I am not yet over the snow, but then I rarely HAVE to drive in it. I just plan my outings for the nicer days of the week, and stay home the rest of the time. Target Tunnel Vision, I'll have to get me some of that! I have the opposite. I have the Look-For-Deals-And-At-All-The-Cool-New-Stuff Vision! I look around so much I get dizzy! I didn't yesterday though, I looked at the 1-5$ section, then went straight for the heater, and out, but...I love looking around, those yellow clearance stickers:)