summer 2011

summer 2011

Paul and I, all 16 kids and Ashley, Benjamin's wife...Christmas 2012

Paul and I, all 16 kids and Ashley, Benjamin's wife...Christmas 2012
family

Friday, February 26, 2021

nope...negative!

 Jonathan's Covid test:  negative.  This leads me to another topic:  vaccinations.  This subject is so controversial in some of the moms' groups, that it's forbidden.  I have always vaccinated all of my kids, but there are some parents who have done research, or whatever, and that's their business.  

When there was first talk of a vaccine, I seriously leaned toward no way Jose.   not happening.  It was developed too fast, and frankly, I don't trust the government.  I don't care for Dr. F., he changes his opinions on which way the political wind is blowing.  Our own New York State governor has been an untruthful dictator, and is now finally being investigated, although you would be hard pressed to hear much about it, from the mainstream media.  He was their darling, never mind that he was so condescending and bullying. (and not keeping his hands or his sexual comments to himself, perhaps...) So trust for the government is just not there.  

But.  Then I started thinking that maybe, just maybe, I was being too skeptical.  I know, right?  Impossible!  Me?  Skeptical?  

I started thinking that perhaps this is a good thing.  I still do NOT support vaccine passports, or pressure to be vaccinated against one's will.  But if this will make vulnerable people more likely to get less sick, with less of a chance of dying, then maybe it's a good thing.  

I thought of a well known story:

Once there was a man stranded on his rooftop in a terrible flood, waters rising and raging around him.  A lifeboat came by, and asked him to hop in.  No, he said, I'm waiting for God.  A second boat came by, then a third, and the man declined.  Finally God shouted down, "What do you WANT?  I have sent THREE BOATS!"  

I thought of this story because I have been praying...praying that this virus goes away, that we can gather again, and travel again, that the old folks can be hugged and comforted and visited again.  Millions of us have been praying.  And the fact that the vaccine rolled out so quickly, while very suspicious, if you don't mind me saying, but also, maybe a blessing?  

I try to be open minded.  It's hard when you're bombarded with news, with agendas, with political slants, to find out what is really true.

One thing I do like about the vaccine so far is the hope it brings, the happiness.  

Today's agenda for me:  make a triple batch of cookie dough.  Pick Miss Char up from school and bring her to the hair salon, she is getting a crazy hair cut today, because I finally said she could, ugh.  :). Then I'm going out to our church, and baking those cookies, and making Buffalo chicken and barbecued chicken sliders, cutting up veggies for dip, and cutting up pineapple, cantaloupe, mini watermelons...for the youth group.   

Tomorrow there are calling hours for Paul's brother...

6 comments:

Linda said...

Nope, no Covid vaccines for us. After much research, no thanks. My son had his yearly physical and he asked the dr. about it and asked him was it true it causes sterility in men and women? The dr. could not give a definite answer because no one knows what the vaccine will do down the line, son said, 'NO thanks then". My husband then had his yearly and asked the dr. the same thing and the dr goes, "Well, since you are a middle aged near 55 year old man, what difference does it make? Men your age usually can't produce enough sperm." EXCUSE ME? --hubby told him, "No thanks." The dr. told he will be getting it etc. Again, No thanks. AND its ok to disagree, no thanks from us. That's all I am saying...I haven't had my yearly yet and do not look forward to doing so.

Keeping Paul's family in prayer, Della and you too. smiles

16 blessings'mom said...

I think you are probably correct to be suspicious and not trust the vaccine, as Americans, we should be able to refuse it if we personally weigh and measure our own risks. My daughter who is an NP believes that it will lessen the impact, make the sickness more mild, not as likely to be deadly, should someone contract it after vaccination. Of course being in healthcare, she isn't as skeptical as I tend to be. I'm not even a fan of the annual flu shot...

Dawn Marie said...

I'm with you on everything!!! At this point I'm not willing to get the vaccine and that's because it's new. I'm not an anti-vaxxer and I do make sure we stay updated on our shots but this one has me skeptical. In time, we'll find out more about it's effectiveness but until then I'm not getting it. I hope it doesn't end up being mandatory. I feel like it should be a choice, just like the flu vaccine is. Whether we get the shot or risk getting sick that should be up to us. Whatever happened to "my body, my choice." I mean, I'm all for helping others and wanting people to be safe but I just don't believe we need to be doing all that the government is making us do (masks, separation.) Whatever happened to living in a free country?

Anonymous said...

I guess I am in the minority. I received my second shot last week and am thrilled. I’m 49 so not in the correct tier but because I also work as a CASA, they gave us the opportunity, and I jumped. My husband is immune compromised and I would love to be able to go back to church, see my casa kids and go to the store without the concern of bringing it home to hurt him or my children. I will still be cautious as they don’t know if I could still be a carrier, but I won’t be locked in my house.

I haven’t hugged my parents since March of last year because my dad had COPD and ends up in the hospital gasping for air with the common cold almost every year. I have one more week and my immunity will be at its peak. God tells us not to worry, and I try not to worry about Covid, but I also try to use the brain God gave me to make good decisions. I am using the same verse of not to worry when I accepted the vaccination. My extended family tells me what if they find out it gives you Alzheimer’s, and I say the same thing...I put my trust in God and I am not going to worry about that. I’ve done my research and for me and my family, this will help me better than being cooped up in my house for another year.

And I think the same thing as your story, if I have a heart attack, God has given many people brilliant brains to help steer our medical community to fixes that 100 years ago we couldn’t imagine. I will use every opportunity that God provides.

Kristi

Unknown said...

Good morning.............well all of this is very interesting to read. I always respect everyone’s opinion and point of view and everyone does what they think is best for them. I’m a77 year old asthmatic and my husband is 81 and we are going on Wednesday to receive our first shot. I have been too afraid to go very many places and so I stay at home mostly. This isn’t a good thing for me. I’m very social, did volunteer work with my dogs 3 days a week in one of our big hospitals, and in doing that met and talked to many people every week. I went to the gym a couple of days and I entertained at home, family suppers etc, but haven’t been able to do that. Everyone either works in hospitals or retail and they all have said that we must all be careful. I am hoping by summer we have all been vaccinated........all the nurses have been..........and we can have a ‘big knees up’ as the British say, with everyone. I am craving that.............But I am also very grateful for the things I do have. Warm house, food on the table, family I talk to every day, my 2 lovely Labrador’s and NETFLIX!! Oh my goodness......I have watched more tv that I should, read lots of books, made a lovely blanket for a friend, done puzzles etc. Things I maybe wouldn’t have done. Stay safe and healthy Della and everyone else too. 🥰🥰

Marilyn from Canada 🇨🇦

Busy Bee Suz said...

I'm glad Jonathan is negative.
I'm on the fence about the vaccine, but I do like your analogy here. The drowning man....Hmmm... perhaps this vaccine was created with the help of our creator? Could be!