summer 2011

summer 2011

Paul and I, all 16 kids and Ashley, Benjamin's wife...Christmas 2012

Paul and I, all 16 kids and Ashley, Benjamin's wife...Christmas 2012
family

Tuesday, February 16, 2010

complaining and other thoughts....

I don't know why I do this to myself, but I read this certain blog sometimes that tends to depress me. It shouldn't, but every once in a while, it makes me question myself and not-so-organized way I live and raise the kids. This woman has her act together. I will not mention the blog here, I don't want to critize her, she is a lovely woman. She has 15 children, and she stated in a recent post that her children do not complain because she herself does not complain. (she DID backpedal a little and say that they don't complain about the younger ones or the work they have to do because of having younger ones). But she does not complain because she loves her life and her kids and cleaning and serving. Okay.



Wait a minute!!! I love my life and my kids...it is the cleaning and serving I have a problem with. Oh, I will clean in 'fits and starts 'and make things look great.....but like my sister says, "If I want to look at really clean houses, I pick up a magazine." I do not mind cleaning and scrubbing, but....I do not love it. I would be perfectly happy if I could afford to hire someone to do it for me, so I could play with the kids and go on adventures, and of course take long leisurely naps with good books.



I am not a fan of complaining. In Phillipians 2, v 14 it says, "Do all things without complaining or disputing..."...So I hate the complaining I find in myself. "In all things give thanks, for this is the purpose of God in Christ Jesus for you"...1 Thess. 5 v. 18.....So complaining and giving thanks are polar opposites. When I find myself complaining, I hate it. It sounds awful, it stinks, and it is like saying that God made a mistake sending these things my way. But it is a process to be free from it, because it permeates me! I love my kids, but I still find lots of grumbling when they spill and tear and color on walls and remove poopy diapers and climb up on the toilet seat, smearing...never mind. When they leave wet bathing suits and wet towels from their swim sessions in school in bags by the door undiscovered until they smell....never mind. When they leave the milk out, drink out of the container RRR, dump things, forget things, knock things down....okay, I could obviously write a whole book about the things that make me want to complain. I have my work cut out for me. But that is my whole point. I love my kids so much I could cry. I love them fiercely. They make me laugh and smile, and I freely give my life to raise them. But I still have that complaining in there.....



Well, this is vacation, and I blissfully always forget how much work vacation is. The dishwasher runs three times a day. Right now, we have lots of cake crumbs on the kitchen floor. We are staying home today, except for an appointment I have to take Mali to this afternoon. I have a turkey to put in the oven. Tomorrow I have to take Kathryn and Evelyn to an appointment, and am thinking of taking a few of the other kids and going to lunch. There is a movie playing at the cheap theatre I was thinking of taking them to tomorrow night. Then maybe the zoo on Thursday....and the pool on Friday night. Last night I dreamed about looking through the bathing suit basket and not finding any that fit anyone....

Well, they need me.

5 comments:

Tereza said...

I stumble into that same blog from time to time and just shake my head. Don't compare...it's not worth it. I dislike blogs that make it look so darn perfect because in reality it isn't and I really don't believe her kids never complain!!!!! Now I'm not saying she's lying BUT maybe she is selective as to what she thinks is compaining??? I truly honestly have a hard time believeing noone complains...sorry...but it does not AT ALL sound real!!!!! Some blogs are WAY out there and I think hers is one of them.
On the other hand it's god to look for ways how to bless our families so things go more smoothly....I'm all for that..and I'm all for blogging about that too....but you know what I mean....

Karen said...

Oh that is so my life! I need one "me" for the kids and another "me" for the work. :-) And I only have 6! I unfortunately am still working on the being thankful/not complaining part. Thanks be to God for his Holy Spirit and constant forgiveness. I would be such a lost cause otherwise! Some people do seem to have more of the organized temperament and able to balance everything well...I'm certainly not there yet! I love reading your blog and your every day experiences!

FLmom7 said...

I don't like complaining either, but I catch myself doing it from time to time (a bit too much, I admit)...I am human:) I understand about how some blogs make us feel worse about our own lives because some people seem to be so "perfect".

cheryl said...

I wish I'd known you had an app't this afternoon.. we did, too, and we were looking for some fun, since my house is so spotless and I have nothing to do..does that count as a lie or 'reverse'complaining??
We came home without enough time to go swimming, but I was considering it.. did you know tanning is free until tomorrow? I figured I could use some vitamin D, and it was fun, and if I see any pictures of myself in a tanning booth on facebook, I will deny that it's me. Although I'm certain they'd be hysterically funny.

Kris said...

LOL! I do the same thing ( read certain blogs that drive me nutty with how perfect everything is). I just have to remind myself that we really have no idea ( unless we know them personally) what their life is really like. How many "perfect" people do you know in real life? The ones who truly have it together are definitely in the top 1% of the population. Not that we shouldn't try to do better, but I really believe God created all types of people, with all types of deficiencies ;). The majority of us have our strengths and weaknesses, not very impressive to some, perhaps very impressive to others.
I really like your blog because you seem very honest about everything, the good and the bad. I'd say most of us can relate to that kind of life. :)