summer 2011

summer 2011

Paul and I, all 16 kids and Ashley, Benjamin's wife...Christmas 2012

Paul and I, all 16 kids and Ashley, Benjamin's wife...Christmas 2012
family

Wednesday, February 10, 2010

you have got to be kidding me....

That was one of many things that went through my head last night.

I did go swimming with my sister. She called just as I was putting dinner on the table.....I asked Paul, and he said it was fine, just go. He could serve dinner. Yay! I grabbed my bikini, ha, my towel, and $2, and was out the door to pick up Cheryl in five minutes flat.

I stayed up until midnight talking to Mirielle and Mali, which is always nice, but.....little did I know that Camille was brewing what I believed to be two earaches. I counted the times I got up with her: 12. I took her into bed with me for a while at one point, but all she did was toss and turn and fuss and she asked to go back in her little green bed. (the funny thing was she actually said, "I want to go into my nice little green bed..." I think it is helpful for bedtime if the child's bed is alway referred to as a nice, happy place, and sleep and naps are never used as a threat or punishment...) I had her back in bed with me and when I had to get up at seven, she started to settle down and snore. Oh my goodness how hard it was to get up....I had to take her with me....but other kids had to get up and moving for school. Anyway, I was not sure if it was her ears, as Suzanne Eleanor threw up last night, so I didn't want to give her Tylenol....because that would just make her barf.....anyway, I am zombie-ish, and Camille just threw up. I was able to grab an empty wipes container, so it wasn't a big mess, but the poor child. She is sleeping on me, and snoring away. I would gladly lean back and join her, but I have three children playing with FisherPrice little people that they dragged out of the closet while I was swimming last night.

It is kind of funny, I was talking to a brand new mommy the other day. Her baby is a few months old and mommy can't seem to get anything accomplished. She can't even get into the shower during the day, and getting out the door seems impossible sometimes. She said she just sleeps 'til eleven because the baby wakes her so much during the night. She said she couldn't imagine how she could take care of another child/children after being up with a baby so much during the night. And the answer is: It Is Difficult!!! rrr. I mean tired is one thing, but if you start dreaming when you blink, it is torturous. I am teetering on the tortourously tired here today. I think it might be a good idea to call Miss Abigail and beg her to save me. Camille only wants me, thought, so I don't know how that would go. I don't really want her barfing in my nice comfy bed....

Well, as irked as I was that they raided the closet while I was gone last night (oh, the things they pulled out...I still have a huge bag of cloth diapers from when I still washed them....when I was expecting my 6th, I switched to disposables.)(I can't throw them away, I might need them for something some day)......I am glad they have something here to keep them so busy. I kept Jon home again, he still has an on and off headache, the kind they don't fake because they settle down and rest on the couch....his headache must be off right now, though, because he is playing with a Little People ambulance and making realistic sound effects....

Oh well, it seems safe to put this away and try to doze a little. Camille is totally out. She is so pale in her red polka dot jammies. Poor poor sweetie.

5 comments:

Bonnie said...

We had a horrible tummy bug here about two weeks ago. Both of my kids spent some part of that weekend in the hospital. The night I spent there with my two year old, after her second febrile convulsion, I kept thinking "they don't tell you about this before you become a parent." But I also kept thinking--"I am just so glad that I am the one who gets to do it for her." It is mind numbing and tiring to say the least. I honestly had no idea before we became parents--just how much hard work it is and just how much we would love our kids. Gave me a whole new respect for my Mom!

Hope your day gets better and the little ones are well soon!

Virginia Revoir said...

My kids are sick and during revival week at church. I was so bummed I had to miss Monday night. I love revival!

AUTISMOMMA said...

Sorry to hear about the sickies at your house! If it is an ear infection, remember to have her stay away from milk. Dairy is the number one cause of ear infections, as the proteins in it cause the mucus sensors in our bodies to work on overtime. Sorry, that's the "mommy doctor" in me coming out. Goodness knows with one with autism, I have to keep on top of medical issues around here, seeing that none of the "real" doctors do!

As for the new mommy....okay, I gotta know how she sleeps until eleven! Does she have a nanny? Seriously, I am probably one of the worst when it comes to dealing with child-induced fatigue but I can't even imagine how sleeping til eleven would even be possible...UNLESS she has a nanny or has a crying baby she ignores. :(

16 blessings'mom said...

Yes Bonnie, raising kids is surprisingly hard sometimes. The new mommy I was referring to has a baby that doesn't sleep much, so when I say she sleeps 'til eleven, I just mean that she is so tired from being up half the night, she just keeps dozing when baby does. Some babies DO seem to sleep more during the morning hours. This is her first child, and that is why she was wondering how it could be possible to get up and take care of kids after having nights like that....and the answer is: it is difficult!

Joni said...

We've all had that time in our lives when we were first time Mommy. Life's biggest adjustment, I've heard. And I have once vowed, I will always remember when a first time Mommy is struggling to adjust, that I did the same once! :-)