summer 2011

summer 2011

Paul and I, all 16 kids and Ashley, Benjamin's wife...Christmas 2012

Paul and I, all 16 kids and Ashley, Benjamin's wife...Christmas 2012
family

Saturday, February 6, 2010

sunny saturday....

I wish I had as much energy as Rosie. Seriously. I took her outside, came in and changed a diaper, did some laundry, cleaned up some random things (one thing I have learned: do not smell underwear to see if they are clean or dirty, simply assume they are dirty and hamper them), changed Jon's bedding, had a wonderful omelet (red peppers, bacon, mozzarella cheese, and onions) compliments of Paul while the kids ate the pancakes he made for them, cleaned up the kitchen and did the dishwasher, changed another diaper, cuddled my spoiled and sweetly clingy two year old....and I am out of steam. One would not guess in a million years that these floors were swept and mopped YESTERDAY! And since the living room is our playroom there is dollhouse stuff, duplo blocks, and Jonathan's train set, along with a LittleTikes tractor trailer and shopping card, a huge Tonka crane, a set of army men, Jon's bag of Webkins, and a few books scattered around just for good measure. I don't exactly mind, although it DID look nice in here yesterday. But I like that the kids are where I am.

Emily has invited the kids over to her house for dinner tonight. She has no tv and no toys, but my guess is that they will have a pretty good time anyways. Emily is fun. She is smart and giving and motivated, she can laugh at herself. She loves and appreciates the kids, and she has always taken the time to do fun things with them. I would really like to go too, but somehow I think they would like it if I didn't.

Camille has a cold. She isn't miserably sick, but just enough that she wants to snuggle more than usual. She has been saying, "I want you", to me for a while now, but now she is starting to say, "I need you, Mommy." And of course I like it. Not that she doesn't go play and read books and get into things, she just will suddenly remember that she loves me, and hold out her arms....sometimes she tells me to go sit in my chair, because she knows that then I will be accessable for hugs. Hey, I don't mind.

I don't have concrete plans for today, but I am thinking of going to the small grocery store in the next town because they have 4 coupons to triple. Is it worth going to the store just to get four things for free or close to it?

The older kids are now eating breakfast. I have been tempted a few times through the years to put an end to the 24 hour kitchen, but I want a house that is a home, not an institution. It WOULD be handy to have them all report for breakfast at 9 am., but...ha, they would hate it. The younger kids will be wanting lunch soon, but the pancakes are still out. ( The early birds get the bacon.) We do have dinner all together every night though. Not that there aren't times when we are halfway through and one of them walks in and says, "Oh, I didn't know we were eating!"....(usually Sam).....

There is so much going on here that I cannot concentrate. Suzanne's SIMS family (computer game) just had a fire in their house, Paul is playing his guitar, Mirielle is looking at a tourist booklet for Prince Edward Island, home of Anne of Green Gables....she want to go there. Sonja is playing dollhouse with Charlotte Claire, and Camille is....uh-oh....oh good, she is in Evelyn's room with her. Phew, I was already dreading the mess and there isn't one.

7 comments:

Eighteen said...

I need to learn to STOP working and ENJOY cuddling my children... unfortunately I get frustrated by them stopping me doing the things that I feel I 'need'/want to do.

You family amaze me. I'm not sure I've noted much before but I always enjoy reading your blog.

Book Lover said...

Your house sounds warm, homey and fun today. What a blessing to be one of your kids. Having such great parents and plenty of action going on. Love your family and your blog. Have a great Saturday.

Blessings
Kim Chrisman

Martha said...

That thing you have learned... (the underwear one?)... yeah, I learned that too. Just wash 'em, after all they don't take up much space and it's better than lying dead on the floor. (ha ha)

Jewels, think of those toys as jewels. Precious gems. Yes, now don't they look better already?

I think PEI sound absolutely wonderful! In the summer. Do you think she'd mind if I tag along?

16 blessings'mom said...

Martha, I am working on how to get them to take me along....their last youth girl trip to the beach in Delaware: because I have a big van, I got to go and drive. Cheryl and I stayed in a hotel while the girls camped at the beach...it was heavenly....

Bonnie said...

I recently had a dear, sweet friend who lost her only child in a horrible car accident. He was 4. She has lupus and having him nearly killed her. Her faith is amazing, but she is still so sad. Every time I get frustrated with the mess I think of her and how horrible it would be to come to a house that wasn't full of toys and kids' mess any more. What would I do with myself? Martha's right--the mess/toys are precious jewels, because of what they represent.

cheryl said...

For those of you (I'm also talking about myself!!) who think the house will get somewhat neater as the kids get older/move out, etc.. it just isn't happening!! I, the homemaking mommy, have gotten tired-er, and the ones who still live here are busy-er, and then there are those blessings called grandchildren!! If I want to look at a neat house, I just look at a magazine. Very good encouragement about enjoying our blessings while they are under our roof!! And Martha, Della and I will most definitely be tagging along to PEI, even if it's in a different vehicle.. after all, we did read all the books and watch all the movies, more than once. Mariel and my Janet considered themselves Anne and Diana when they were younger.. they were so entertaining. They still are.
I laughed out loud about the underwear!!

Tereza said...

I can relate to the mess and crazyness and when I stop and think of wishing i could just have it different I realize that actually I have it sooooooooo gooooooood!!

I'd love to meet you one day...another sister in the same boat:)