summer 2011

summer 2011

Paul and I, all 16 kids and Ashley, Benjamin's wife...Christmas 2012

Paul and I, all 16 kids and Ashley, Benjamin's wife...Christmas 2012
family

Wednesday, February 3, 2010

sneaking in five minutes...

Jonathan just dumped a whole box of playdough stuff onto the kitchen table, and dinner is almost ready. I made a beef stew with a nice roast that was $1.99 a pound. Stew takes a while to prepare, but it is simple to serve. And it is so very nice to know that dinner is all ready on the stove. I also made a triple batch of chocolate chip oatmeal cookies. And I took a nap. A very very much needed and appreciated nap.....

Abigail came over today for a "visit", also known as "doing some laundry"....she kept track of the girls for me when I took my nap, and I sent her home with a small pan of hot stew and some cookies. Not bad.

Today the girls were a lot better about messes than yesterday. (Yesterday Camille sneaked up from her nap and decorated my bathroom with conditioner. She also had lots and lots of stuff in her little green bed that did not belong there). Today, they did make a huge stack of books to play with, but they didn't empty the entire shelves.....Charlotte Claire DID make a flour mess when I was trying to figure out why my new Thanksgiving mixer didn't work anymore.....and Camille DID raid Abigail's purse and waste lots of nice lotion.

I have been thinking of one of my tendencies lately that I really hate. (Tereza, when you mentioned something like this, I really identified with it) I hate it when I don't really connect with the kids. I feel like sometimes I am just managing things and accomplishing things and listening to the condensed versions of the happenings and I get them all in bed and want to just get them all back again. So this morning, I spent lots more time with the little girls, and also after school with the older ones. (Mirielle asked them if they realize how lucky they are to come home to a mom who loves them and is making them cookies...thank you, Mirielle!) Listening more. I am always (well mostly anyway) here, but that doesn't mean there is a connection. Especially because the older ones can be more interesting and I can be occupied talking to them....

Well, Paul should be walking in any second now, and the playdough playing now includes Charlotte Claire and Sonja. I would rather delay dinner a bit than break it up, they are playing so peacefully. And, my sweet little Camille didn't go in for nap until 4, and is still in bed....I have to get her up so she won't stay up 'til midnight.

5 comments:

Martha said...

The mystery can... Did you open it?

PS. I sneak in five minutes every chance I get!

Robin said...

I feel so much like that sometimes, the days go by and I don't get any quality time although I am with them. Thanks for the reminder to slow down and savor each minute.

Karen said...

I find it very difficult to listen to my children, who invariably all (or several anyway) want to talk to me at the same time....but I really do need to work at being available for them.....

16 blessings'mom said...

Well, Charlotte Claire forgot about the mystery can today, so I am off the hook for a while....

Martha said...

I shall remain in suspense.