summer 2011

summer 2011

Paul and I, all 16 kids and Ashley, Benjamin's wife...Christmas 2012

Paul and I, all 16 kids and Ashley, Benjamin's wife...Christmas 2012
family

Thursday, September 4, 2008

day two of school

It's nice having two bus trips, the first trip has 6 kids, and they get out the door, phew, and then only three little girls, leisurely getting ready. The little girls get up at 7:30, cuddle on the couches a bit, get dressed, I give them breakfast, do their hair, and today they watched some of Curious George. The bus comes at 8:30 ish....so they have a long time to get ready. They sneaked out of their room very quietly again, so Mr. Jon is still sleeping. See, he is the monkey wrench, the catalyst for trouble in their room at bedtime....so we have been keeping him up for some extraa time at night....



Jon is such a sweetie, but sometimes his behavior is just plain irritating. He seems to have what I call a "breakdown" almost everytime we go somewhere....he likes going bye-bye, loves driving places, seeing all the different vehicles, ect. But he reaches a point where he wants something I am not willing to give, and he starts this distinct cry, that is sort of low key moaning, like, "aaaah,aaaaah,aaaaah", over and over again. I mean, if we have already looked at the toys, and he wants to go back and see something again, several aisles back....I am not always willing to do that.....or if he wants to buy a $10 toy key chain, because he is addicted to keys and steering wheels, I can't do it. It's funny, because when he snaps out of the crying, chanting thing, he is again the brightest, cheeriest, most reasonable boy. I just think it's his way of dealing with things. I don't know. I just know I can't give in once I say no. And I think I need to just at least "seem" unruffled when he starts in. I'm not sure if he's trying to manipulate, or if that's just the way he is dealing with disapointment. Either way, I have been talking to him about it, and when he's fine, he's in agreement that it isn't nice to act that way....but isn't that the way we all are?



One of the things I have been working on, it to really keep it cool when it gets crazy around here. My reactions to the situations can set the tone for either peace, or more chaos. When it really gets nuts, I am trying to just watch out for that anger that can creep in, that snappiness that wants everything done at once. What really woke me up was the other night, the night before the first day of school. Paul was gone, as were the other older ones, except the ones who can't help, Abigail, and Aaron....and all the kids needed showers....and Camille wanted mommy....and Miss Charlotte Claire was confused by all the getting out of clothes, she got wind that people were going somewhere, and she wanted in.....she wanted a shower too....(looking back now, I should have just let her sneak one in, or sit in her tub while I showered the little girls)....anyway, she was upset, Camille was crying, Jon was a bit disturbed with all the commotion, and I saw my little girls reacting by screaming at each other. As I was washing each one's hair, I was using the opportunity to tell them it is not necessary to get so upset, don't yell, blah, blah, blah...and I felt like a hippocrate(spelling?).....unfortunately for us not so perfect moms, actions speak louder than words. But I have experienced the blessing that comes when I can remain patient, when I can be longsuffering and forgiving, deal with things and move on, not just go on and on at a child about something.....it CAN be good and peaceful when things get crazy. I am thankful that there is hope in the gospel, that God can help me get victory in my situations.


Well, today I think we are staying home. We are down to only a half gallon of milk (how did that happen???), and we could use some fruits and veges, but the kids need home today I think. Charlotte Claire missed her nap yesterday....oh, and the poor girl, last evening, she was out on the swings with Kathryn, and she stopped herself with her foot, and her big toenail came off except for one place where it is attached....she was beside herself, just sobbing.....I am not so good with these things.....I try not to flip out and scare the daylights out of the injured child, but I could easily faint....instead, I keep my cool, ha, and ask nicely if there is anyone here who would like to help Charlotte Claire.....so Mariel washed her up and bandaged the toe.....we figure the nail will come off on it's own.......I hate seeing my kids get hurt. It is seriously painful. And she is so innocent and sweet.

2 comments:

holly said...

I love your blog, and your accounts of your large family. I "only" have 8, so it's small in comparison.

I have one comment for you though. What does it say about us people who put lots of periods between our thoughts? I do it too, and I rarely find others like me. It's kind of nice.... LOL!

Renata said...

You're doing such a great job! I could learn some lessons from you!