summer 2011

summer 2011

Paul and I, all 16 kids and Ashley, Benjamin's wife...Christmas 2012

Paul and I, all 16 kids and Ashley, Benjamin's wife...Christmas 2012
family

Monday, September 22, 2008

school skip day

What do you get when you have 9 children that go to school, and they are exhausted, and coming down with colds?

6 kids that stayed home! But you know what? Nice mom that I am, I did not even wake up the 3 younger girls. They need some rest. It is my happy balance between homeschooling and sending them to public school. Their weekend started with Friday night activity club, and they were up very late.....then up excited on Saturday morning for the soccer....gone all day 'til 10:30 at night, then a few of them went with me with Molly, Sam, and Margaret for the last game yesterday....

So here I am in the quiet....Abigail is leaving for college in a few minutes, but other than that the house is silent.....and I love it.

And I am sure that I will regret keeping them home 20 times today, when they fight.....our older ones never fought, but the 5 girls in 5 years, as I refer to them, have their moments.

The school nurse calls when the kids are absent. Sometimes I forget who's here and who isn't. One time she called and asked why a certain kid, let's say, "Joe", wasn't in school, and I said he wasn't feeling well.....then the nurse called back and said, oops, he's here.....oops.

Well, I am not looking forward to cold weather. When it's nice out, the kids are out. They run, and swing, and jump, and ride. Even when it's rainy, they go out. And snowy. But when it's freezing, or cold and rainy, or when a cold wind is blowing, which is a good part of our winter, they are in here with more energy than I can seem to channel. Last year I bought a little trampoline, and they jumped on that all the time. But the living room is only so big, and it got put out on the deck for the summer. Do I want that that back in the living room? I also bought a Little Tikes slide for the house, and it got put out. I don't like the clutter either, but we have no playroom, and the kids have to play.....we need an addition...no, I cannot start thinking that way.....we are fine!

We have a really nice community recreation center, only 4 miles away. But getting the kids out in the winter, and back in....well, maybe.....

And why am I fussing about winter already when it's only the first day of autumn? Because yesterday it was chilly and rainy, and the kids were bouncing off the walls....and I was thinking, oh no......

They did take a little soak, or should I say, "splash" in the hot tub....that was nice.

Can you say countless dripping bathing suits?

Well, Kathryn is up.....

3 comments:

holly said...

I have read your archives, but don't remember if this was in there, so I will just ask you here. Can you run down the names and ages of your kids?

As an aside...you named the kids who were still "up" in the last post, and they total the number of mine. I had to think about it for a minute and realized that you had another 8 "down". Whew!!

16 blessings'mom said...

Hi Holly. Sure, the kids (although a few are adults now) are: Emily 23
Abigail 21
Benjamin 19
Mariel 18
Joesph 17
Aaron 15
Molly 14
Samuel 13
Margaret 11
Kathryn 10
Evelyn 9
Suzanne 7
Sonja 6
(Robert, I just have to mention: he was stillborn, he would have been 5 now...)
Jonathan 4
Charlotte Claire 2
Camille Anaya, 10 months...

Renata said...

I also kept Zai home from school yesterday - I think he was just exhausted. I did regret it however when he was annoying his sister all day. I can only imagine how much you must hate cold weather - I do, but thankfully there aren't that many really bad days when I can't send the kids outside!