summer 2011

summer 2011

Paul and I, all 16 kids and Ashley, Benjamin's wife...Christmas 2012

Paul and I, all 16 kids and Ashley, Benjamin's wife...Christmas 2012
family

Tuesday, October 13, 2009

almost went a day without blaa-ging!

The kids are tucked in, the ones that need taking care of, anyway. I passed by the most populated bedroom on the way to tuck Charlotte Claire in, and Suze had a flashlight on in her bed, and a whole slew of Barbies were having a nice gathering. We did some grocery shopping today and the little ones had no naps, save a small power booster in their car seats. I stopped at McDonalds for a large coffee to enjoy on the 30+ minute ride home. I shared with Margaret, who picked a fine day to skip school. Kathryn skipped too, they did not feel well until I suggested shopping. Sonja got to stay home too, because she was having Mr. Substitute Teacher today, and Kathryn opened her big mouth and told how when SHE had Mr. S. a few years ago, she missed playtime just because she told her friend to pull her shirt up while in the hall. So, Talking In The Hall, NO PLAYTIME. Sonja was all dressed and ready and her eyes were as big as saucers, so I said, "Guess what? You don't have to go to school today!!" I mean, if the sub is going to be that strict, too bad.

So we had a good old time. Target, where we bought just the minimum of items from the 75%off racks. There were socks for a quarter a pair. You can't match 'em for that. I bought at least 20 pairs. I feel rich.

Tomorrow, some of our clothes are coming back. The laundry room isn't exactly in shambles, but it is no where near done yet. Paul had put a few of the shelves back, but we never gave it another coat of paint. No one cares but me, and I don't feel like making them. Not that I couldn't do it myself....I could. But it ain't gonna happen. So it will probably be like that forever now.

One of the worst things is coming in with groceries, and having fussy kids. Camille walking around crying, the school kids trying to tell me about things that happened on the bus, and how I need to sign the dental consent form, and the "What in the heck is for dinner"dilemma. But then I realize, I am coming into a nice warm house (well not really warm, but warmer than outside) with lots of good food. Oat bread, whole grain rye bread, white wheat, provolone cheese, fresh carrots, potatoes, bananas, roast, hot dogs (well, all of can't be good food), canned soups and diced tomatoes and diapers and new potholders (99cents!), and some donuts for tomorrow morning. They asked and asked, and I told them to wait until morning.

We had a cheat-y dinner tonight, but it was good. Those frozen turkey and gravy entrees, Family size, ha, I put two of those in a glass baking dish with a jar of turkey gravy and lots of extra sliced chicken (chicken, turkey, who can tell?), then made boxed mashed potatoes, and three bags of frozen broccoli. Quick, easy, and warm. Not delicious, but they ate it.

I did buy a roast for tomorrow. For $1.99 a pound, it is cheaper than burger. The carrots were on sale, and the potatoes, so we are having an oven roasted dinner. I would rather have a nice meal like that on a weekend, but we are busy this weekend. It is the October conference weekend at church, and Paul has to work at work on at least Saturday. Mirielle will be there for the weekend, yay, so I will be fine.

Paul got up at 4:00 am to take his mom to the airport for her trip back to Florida for the winter. His dad is staying a few more weeks. The summer went be so fast. It is weird how life goes by faster and faster as I get older. Those summer days on the beach as a kid seemed endless. I want my kids to have the best childhood possible. Not with the best mp3 players or ipods or the latest fashions. Less stress. That is my goal for the family. Less stress. I have said this a million times before, but when I can remain calm when Camille is crying and something spills and Charlotte Claire dumps a bin, then that seriously sets the tone. When I get all yelly and frustrated, it just is mayhem. Sometimes I feel sorry for the older ones when the little ones are fussy, but God does not make mistakes. I remind them of all the treasures they can store up in heaven by remaining in love and goodness when the younger ones are fighting and screeching...and no, it is not like that here all the time. It seems that the kinder the older ones are, and more patient, the better the younger kids are....they just respond to that, like sunflowers to the sun.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

love especially your last paragraph, so so true but so hard sometimes. Worth trying always.