summer 2011

summer 2011

Paul and I, all 16 kids and Ashley, Benjamin's wife...Christmas 2012

Paul and I, all 16 kids and Ashley, Benjamin's wife...Christmas 2012
family

Thursday, October 29, 2009

sick me and life goes on....

and I see a huge load of clean clothes thrown in a laundry basket. If you know me at all, you know that will drive me crazy until I hang it all up. I like to take care of things as they come out of the dryer so they don't get all wrinkled. I especially like to take things out when they are half dry to hang, so they last longer and look nicer. But that doesn't always happen.

I have this cold, or is it the flu, the dreaded swine flu? If so, what was that awful flu I had last month when Paul missed almost a week of work? Does it have part one and part two? I have no idea. I just know I have a cough and am stuffy and miserable (physically, not mentally). Last night I started with a headache that ended up being the worst headache of my life, and I have had some migraines that I would have liked to die during. This headach was like a visegrip on my skull, and I was almost sick to my stomach from the pain. I took two ibuprofen, two more an hour later, then two acetominophen with decongestant. I went to bed, and if I so much as moved a muscle, it pounded......it finally disapated....and now I am just plain ordinary sick. I never want to have a headache like that again. It was horrible. If I didn't have the stuffiness with it, I would have thought it was a stroke or anyurism or something. But my face and sinuses are painful, and my ears, and so on....and I am not complaining, or am I? hm...I am just thankful that the headache is gone. I always feel wrung out after a headache, and today is no exception. I just don't care about anything...wait, except for that laundry. Oh, and I would like to sweep the floor...but I won't .

Abigail got up and sent the kids to school this morning for me and she said they were excellent. I will have to praise them when they get home.

I am really hoping I am better enough to go to the fall feast tomorrow night. I am worse than a little kid.

Mirielle called me this morning. It was great to hear from her, and she should be home by Thanksgiving. Yay! I am glad she is helping the family she is with though. The mom gets to rest and get back on her feet. That is such a wonderful thing when you have a newborn and other kids to take care of. I remember one of my babies, I can't remember which one now, I think maybe Jonathan, or maybe Sonja, I didn't have any help at all after the first few days that Paul took off from work, and I had some of the kids skip school here and there to help me, but I never got to sleep in or rest up. That is tough. In my experience, if mommy can rest up lots for at least the first week, the recovery, both physically and mentally goes better.

When I was talking to Mirielle, she picked up the newborn. I could hear him making those sweet little noises, and Mirielle said he was smiling at her. Oh, joy. I asked her if I could have him. ha.

Poor Sam was worried about me last night, and as I got into bed I prayed that God would bless him and comfort him. When I was sitting here with my eyes closed, I could hear him telling everyone about his band teacher's son going to the hospital for the flu, and how people could get really really sick, and he kept telling daddy that maybe mommy was really really sick....and I couldn't even tell him I was okay, because my head hurt too badly to talk....he was already in bed when I got up to go to bed....and he was gone to school by the time I got up. Poor kid. I can worry about them, but they cannot worry about me.

5 comments:

Beth Haley said...

I pray that your sickness subsides soon! Its so hard to be a mommy sometimes because you can't just be sick and get well - you have to be a mom in the meantime. I'm sure you'll be back on your feet in no time. Bless your little one for being so concerned. He has a very compassionate heart. That's a wonderful thing in any family!

Shell in your Pocket said...

We have had a sick home here too....I am sick of all the labeling...THEY ARE JUST SICK!

sandy toe

mommeeof10 said...

We had Type A flu, most likely Swine flu, at our house recently. After 2 1/2 weeks, they were all well enough to go to school today. I was not really sick, just a sore throat, runny nose, a bit of a headache and very tired. I would sit down to nurse the baby and fall asleep in the recliner for a few hours. At least I had enough big kids home sick that one of them would watch the other little ones while I slept. The kids had it worse, especially my Richie, 11 1/2. He had a sinus infection and bronchitis 2 days before they thought to test him for the flu, once he started wheezing. He has had the worse luck this year, catching everything that goes around the Middle school. I guess being exposed to 700+ other people can get you sick if you tend to catch stuff easily. That and Hubby and I both working in the 5 sided asylum with 20,000 other people, some of who come to work sick, rather than using vacation days to be sick.

Book Lover said...

So sorry you are sick. I had the flu a few weeks back and it was NOT fun. Your kids are so sweet to help out and worry about you.
Try to get all the rest in you can (haha) so you won't have setbacks. Will say a prayer for you.

Blessings

Kim Chrisman

Cassandra said...

Oh Della, i am praying that you feel better soon (and all of the sick kids too) If we lived closer i would ome by and help you with your laundry ...

Cassandra xx