summer 2011

summer 2011

Paul and I, all 16 kids and Ashley, Benjamin's wife...Christmas 2012

Paul and I, all 16 kids and Ashley, Benjamin's wife...Christmas 2012
family

Monday, October 5, 2009

people should really really think first about being famous

At least Suzanne thinks so. She says if you were famous you couldn't just go be a school teacher, because how could you teach if everyone in the school wanted to be in your class? She was rather appalled that Ashley Tisdale (from High School Musical) had her nose surgically repaired. It seemed insane to her sweet innocent eight-year-old self that someone would be operated on to fix their nose. Well, I told her, some people think the outside is more important than the inside. Last night we had some fun watching the Extreme Makeover show, and Ms. Tisdale was a special guest. The featured family lived in a tiny house under 800sq. ft., and had two children. Then one day social services knocked at the door with the mom's sister's 4 children....they had removed them from the home and were going to separate (possibly, probably) them in the foster system if this couple didn't take them in. They ended up adopting them, and they lived in this little tiny house. The kids were so adorable, I would have taken them too. Anyway, the E.M. people built them this huge spacious house. Our kids enjoyed watching the the kids get their special bedrooms......Our kids have only watched this show a few times. I make a huge deal out of it, turning down the volume during the commercials, and talking to them about things. Funny how Ms. Ashley's nose was a big topic.



Anyway, Suzanne says it would be hard to be famous. She is probably right. Look at the poor Gosselin family. Just a trainwreck, to quote the dad. Okay, enough. But those poor kids.



Jonathan did NOT want to go to kindergarten today because Charlotte Claire mentioned that she was going to build a camper with those big foamy squares that go on the floor. Jon was instantly in on it, and did not want to leave. I told him he could play when he gets home, and that he can skip on Thursday. Evelyn is skipping today, and Suzanne is skipping on Wednesday. I don't really care what the school says, (though to be fair they haven't given me a hard time yet), that one-on-one time is worth millions. I just hope they don't go to school and brag that they get to skip school on such-and-such a day.....



We had roasted squash with butter on Saturday night....it was so good, I just keep thinking I need to get more of it. I made a boneless pork roast, homemade baked applesauce, mashed potatoes, and the squash. And candy apples. Jonathan selected the apples, washed and dried them, and put the sticks in. He lined the all up on the pans, the Mali dipped them. They were every bit as sticky and messy as I remembered them years ago when I vowed to not make them again.....



Yeah, I am a big loser, still thinking about the dinner I had two nights ago. But cooking and preparing a big dinner takes so long...and of course the clean up is a joy....but when the kids like it and appreciate it, and it is cozy and fun at the table, it is worth it. Last night we had taco salad, which was pretty good too. Kathryn and Evelyn made brownies while Paul and I were shopping, and it smelled so good and chocolaty when we walked in. And, the kids had listened to us and cleaned the place up....they each had a job, and they did it. I don't know what happened between then and right now, but it looks sort of like it stormed in here. And Mr. A. is coming soon to clean up soot, so I SHOULD be cleaning up the stuff all over. I will in a minute. I am actually letting Miss Charlotte Claire play on the living room floor with three miniture cans of playdough and a mold. She is watching channel 24, and being quiet and content. Camille is still in bed, so it is relaxing. This computer is addicting, I used to do so much around here in the morning. Oh well.



So, my washer and dryer...I am still so excited. When I get something new and fun like this I think, "who says money can't buy happiness?" ha. They are stackable! Plain white, I am vain but not vain enough to spend extra for the candy-apple red, even though they are spiffy. The washer is a front-loader, we thought the water and energy savings would be worth it. I called my sister and my brother from Sears to make sure they like theirs....then we went ahead and bought them. See, the insurance company gave us a $500something for a dryer, depreciation takes a cut, then if we actually spend up to $740, we get that difference back. So it made sense to me to spend up to $740. So we did. And it made sense to get a nice big washer that matched. Paul is such a good guy. We had a nice time together.



Well, the cleaning crew should be here soon....and I would honestly be embarrassed if they walked in and here I was, while the mess is scattered around me. Now this mess can be picked up quite quickly, it is just the usual: books, toys, a few tissues, yesterday's paper, Charlotte Claire's blankets.....not too bad, but visually disturbing.



And there are a few pans that need to be washed, the counters wiped down, some shoes to put on the shelf, a few stray sweaters to be hung up, the floor could be swept....ouch. So....bye for now.

1 comment:

Tereza said...

what a fun peek into your life:)