summer 2011

summer 2011

Paul and I, all 16 kids and Ashley, Benjamin's wife...Christmas 2012

Paul and I, all 16 kids and Ashley, Benjamin's wife...Christmas 2012
family

Sunday, October 18, 2009

another day of blessings and mayhem

Tonight was General Thunder's turn to be a devil. They also dressed Rosie up again. They put the strip of pink bubble wrap around her and tied it in the back and called her Breast Cancer Awareness Rosie. The kids have a small pop-up tent, maybe three foot by three foot. They can fit three kids in it, and Rosie, and a pumpkin.







Nice and Cozy.

Today has been good. I sorted clothes for a few hours this afternoon, blissfully aware that dinner was all ready to go in the oven. Evelyn had the idea to make a cake, and she looked up a recipe, but I did not want to stop the clothes sorting to help her follow it, so I suggested cake mix. She made chocolate cake in two tart pans. Then she needed frosting. She wanted me to make some because the only can in the cupboard was opened up with a fingerpath in it. I did not even try to find out who was the guilty one. I made frosting like this, because we had only a half bag of confectioner's sugar: melted a spoon of shortening with a half stick of butter, stirred in the sugar and some vanilla, and added some milk. I whisked it up, warmed it a bit in the microwave, and added a whole 5 ounce bar of German chocolate from Aldi. I stirred that until it was smooth, and poured it over the cakes....it was delectable. Evelyn put sprinkles on, and we enjoyed. There were 15 of us at the table, so the cake was gone quickly. I am thankful for that, it tasted so yummy it would have tortured me if there was any left. That is one really nice thing about having so many kids. There usually isn't much leftover.
Mirielle is back in Connecticut now. It was very nice to see her. I hugged her when she got home! This afternoon when I looked at the new Price-Chopper ad, I missed her. No one else cares that sourdough bread is $1, or that grapes are $1.28 a pound. Or that we have a $2.00 off a Pert shampoo coupon, and it is on sale for $4.99. Abigail is home now, and she is so sweet and fun. And she is nice to shop with, too. But Mirielle is my coupon cutter and she knows a good price when she sees one. I know they grow up but I don't have to like it.
We might go and visit our friend Gwen tomorrow, she is in her eighties and has cancer. If she is feeling up to it, we will go. She is an amazing woman.





1 comment:

Tereza said...

Ah tent fun!
One day.......One day I will visit you guys!