summer 2011

summer 2011

Paul and I, all 16 kids and Ashley, Benjamin's wife...Christmas 2012

Paul and I, all 16 kids and Ashley, Benjamin's wife...Christmas 2012
family

Friday, May 14, 2010

out with the girls...

Because I am insane, or because I just wondered what it would be like, I took these two shopping today all by myself. Now, there was a time I took my kids everywhere by myself, but now I am spoiled and usually have at least Sonja or Suze to help me buckle carseats. Anyway, they were excited to go. They had a bath first, which turned out to be the bubble bath of their life, as they used a few bottles of shampoo and all of the baby soap. Then we waited around for Camille to poop first, which did not happen. As soon as we got on the road, they started wondering if Kohl's had a bathroom. As soon as we got in the store, they wanted to find it. Imagine their delight when we entered the "Family" bathroom, and found this: A tiny little child-sized toilet!!!
Yes, I know she will kill me when she grows up, but it is just SO cute. I never saw a kids so happy about a toilet before. It WAS cute. Charlotte Claire couldn't wait to have a turn on it.

So we shopped...I found a shirt for Joseph, one for Sam, and some things for the girls...but nothing for me...then we went to Aldi for gummy bears and apples and juice and milk and veggies.....back to the van to head home...but UH-OH, Mommy made a big mistake: Mommy OPENED Camille's gummy bears, and CAMILLE WANTED TO OPEN THEM!!! Oh dear!! She took the bag and threw it, so I just started to drive. Charlotte Claire started screaming that Camille took her arms out.....and at that very moment, a HUGE spider came into my view, right on my sunvisor, moving fast....panic!!! I pulled over, grabbed a napkin, squished it, and threw it right out the window, napkin and all. Oops, I really broke my own rule here. I NEVER litter like that. Maybe an apple core on a country road, but.....a McDonald's napkin? There is an exception to every rule, however, and this was an EMERGENCY. I cannot have half-squished spiders inside the van, I wouldn't be able to drive! I would be glancing down for wiggling legs...ugh. Anyway, I had to climb back and get Miss Temper Tantrum's arms back in her straps. She still was screaming and crying, and even when I said I was going to call the cops, she didn't stop. (oops, I broke another rule...threatening the children....)....
I had to pull over again a few miles down the road, at the fire station, to put her arms in again....this time she said she was going to be a good girl, and she was all done fussing. hmm.


Now all the kids are home from school, having yogurt and apples. Aaron went to work, and the girls are telling me how Jonathan fooled around on the bus....they have lots of things to tell me, and I need to make sure Charlotte Claire and Camille are all right....



2 comments:

Robin said...

Those are the cutest pictures. I never go anywhere without one of my big girls along...don't remember how I used to do it??!! Scary about the spider...that happened to me once only a huge cockroach!

Darla said...

Now that little toilet is something I would love to have installed at my house. No more potty chairs making their way into the hallway or getting left full of "contents"! And we have enough coming up that need to be potty-trained in the future, it would be well worth the investment. :)