summer 2011

summer 2011

Paul and I, all 16 kids and Ashley, Benjamin's wife...Christmas 2012

Paul and I, all 16 kids and Ashley, Benjamin's wife...Christmas 2012
family

Monday, April 12, 2010

good morning!!!!

My new computer cord isn't here yet, so I am sitting at one of the family computers, which allows me to look out at the front yard. The big van and the pick-up are parked in the grass on either side of the driveway because Paul is such a nice daddy. Jonathan loves to ride his bike, and although we live on a country road, it is curvy and hilly and the speed limit is...- well, there is no speed limit posted. I can see the birds flitting about, and the newborn baby leaves gracing the trees, and the yellow flowers blooming on the bush that I cannot remember the name of.





One thing I have been thinking about lately is this: A good marriage is worth fighting for. If you have to ask why I say "fighting for", you probably...A. Aren't married. B. Have been married for a short time. C. Are very lucky. But in general, there is a fight that is necessary so that there is not only peace, but a pure love between husband and wife. First I have to have the mind to bless. Then I have to know full well it is true with me what is written in this verse, Romans 7 v. 21"So I find this law at work: When I want to do good, evil is right there with me." There is a better translation that says, "I find the evil present IN me." So...when I acknowledge that YES, I have sin....then I am not surprised that even when my intention is to bless, I still have to sit in judgement about the way I am. It can be so painful to humble myself, but it is beautiful to God, and it brings peace. We have been married for 26 years, and it is better than ever for us. Not because of us, but because God has been so merciful. Salvation is not just a one-time thing, it is a continuous process. Phil. 2, v. 12 ..."continue to work out your salvation with fear and trembling"....It is a GOOD fight, against our sin. It brings peace and blessing and oneness and goodness.

I am happy today. All of the kids went to school except for Kathryn and Margaret, who both went to Ottowa for the weekend, then both stayed up and watched Anne Frank, and now have stomach aches...hmm. There are only four days of school for the elementary school kids this week. Friday, they get to stay home because it is Grandparents' Day. It makes them too sad, and no school work gets done, so they get a day off. Spring Break is the following week, so I will have them for ten days!! Aaron will not be here, he is leaving for New Mexico on Wednesday. He is going to visit some of our good friends who moved down there a few years back. And when he gets back, he will start his new job at McDonalds. Poor kid. But he is thrilled to have gotten a job. He certainly can use the money.

I have big plans for vacation. There are a few parks I would like to take them to, and perhaps the Children's Museum again. They also love staying home and building forts in the woods and riding bikes and going in and out of the house, slamming the door. What??! The seem to LOVE doing that. Okay, okay, I am sure I will find plenty of irritation in myself, but by the grace of God, we will have a wonderful week.....

Mirielle is going back to college this week after a nice vacation. It was really good to have her around, poor girl. I mean, it isn't exactly Daytona Beach or Cancun here. But she got some sunshine over the weekend. And plenty of treasures in heaven, I'm sure.

Abigail is coming over today to help me with the kids. I am going to do some laundry sorting. I do this thing where I pick things out of the hampers to wash, and every few months I notice there are things in all the hampers that I haven't gotten to.....and also that the hampers get mixed up instead of being exclusively for darks or whites.....so I have to empty them out and sort and get things organized again. I don't mind doing it, especially when someone is watching the girls....I know, I am very lucky. I haven't forgotten yet what is like to try to get things accomplished with four or five little ones who don't go to school yet, but it is getting a little blurry. And I would choose that again in a minute if I could. In fact, one of my favorite daydreams is going in for an ultrasound for a surprise pregnancy and being told, "Mrs. Mommy, there are two,...no wait - Three! wait, I think there are FOUR in there!!" (if I am dreamin', may as well dream big...) Anyway, I am thankful to have help now when I can, it decreases the likelyhood of the girls using all the soap or painting their nails on the bedroom carpet or sneaking outside.

And, I love having Abigail over.

Kathryn is cuddled up to Charlotte Claire on the couch watching, "Totoro", breaking my NO Movies During The Day Rule, but rules were made to be broken, I guess.

And now my first load of clothes is dry....so off I go, to fight the fight of faith and have a good day.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

ahaha I love you!! :)
sometimes I think I'm crazy because this baby isn't even born yet and I'm thinking of how soon I could have his little brother/sister... It's not even about family planning, size or anything, I'm just thrilled to have a little soul to take care of and provide for and so much love to give and receive... :)
have a nice day, and keep your dreams big they are beautiful dreams ;)

AUTISMOMMA said...

Do you mean a forsythia bush?