summer 2011

summer 2011

Paul and I, all 16 kids and Ashley, Benjamin's wife...Christmas 2012

Paul and I, all 16 kids and Ashley, Benjamin's wife...Christmas 2012
family

Monday, April 26, 2010

off they go, nine out of nine on the bus...

It was challenging, but not too bad. After ten days home, they were dragging a bit, but also a bit excited to go back to school. I rather hate to see them go, but I also think it's good for them.

Sonja sat for a long time without making a move to get dressed. Then she fussed when I washed her thick tangly curls. Then she complained that she might have to run the track today. And she wouldn't take a snack because she doesn't like Wheat Thins, or chocolate chip granola bars. Evelyn came upstairs just in time to grab her waffles out of the toaster and eat them while she put her shoes on. She is so teenager-ish already. She showed me her report card this morning, and I felt bad because I didn't realize that I didn't see it already when the other kids gave me theirs. oops. I don't always keep track of everything, but the house hasn't fallen down yet, and they still love me.

Sometimes I get that feeling that I am forgetting something really important. Seriously, there are just so many things to deal with that my brain gets foggy. The other day, during vacation, I remembered to get up and take Mali to track, then at home I got busy, and I paused to look at the clock and decide what to tackle next, and OH my GOODNESS, it was the time I was supposed to be at the school to pick her up!!! oops. hhee. I got out the door in a hurry.

Yes, it is embarrassing, my kids say they don't want to join sports because Mommy forgets to pick them up. I have only done it a few times, but....when Abigail was in volleyball way back when, cell phones weren't widely popular yet, and one night she waited for quite a while outside the school while I blissfully made dinner....until I got that UH-OH!......anyway, if you want to know how I REALLY am, just ask my kids.

The other night we were talking about how much fun it was to have our Norwegian guests here, and Margaret said she asked them what they thought of our house. One of them said it was a little messy, but not gross or anything. We laughed our heads off because they should see it now, when it isn't cleaned for company. There are just so many toys in the living room again. And the bookcases get messy because for some reason, it is easier for the lazy persons who live here to put the books on the shelves horizontally, on top of the other books, rather than put them in properly. There is a stack of library books on top of the dog cage, along with some empty Easter baskets, ouch, yesterday's newspaper, and the hairbrush. The floors need sweeping, the counters which were cleaned off yesterday need it again, and the dishwasher needs to be run again. Even though it was done after dinner last night. The house is in what I call it's "natural state". Not a total hurricane, just messy. Not dirty, just messy. Mondays are always a bit overwhelming, because I don't know where to start. So I just sit here blogging, and avoid the dilemma.

2 comments:

Kelly Polizzi said...

haha I would love to be a mom of so many. Messy house and all. I would count it as such a blessing! I am sure you are a wonderful mom and doing a great job. Your kids all have big smiles on their faces!

mommeeof10 said...

Currently, my house looks like there was an explosion in a clothing store. I'm trying to wash and collect all the winter stuff, so I can get it back into the bins and in the attic. My 14 yr old swears she has no clothes that fit her. There are 6 full laundry baskets of girls clothes in her room, plus the other three I sorted today that did not make it upstairs yet. Tomorrow, I have to work, so nothing will get done around the house after I leave at 10 am, unless hubby reminds the kids to do some housework in the evening. Anne can either keep the lids fed and safe or do housework, she has not learned multitasking yet. We are both trying to study for the tests we need to pass to keep our jobs, yet have no time unless we are too tired to understand what we are reading. Anne will be done with finals next week. Then maybe I can study during the week, at the library, and leave the little ones at home with her?