summer 2011

summer 2011

Paul and I, all 16 kids and Ashley, Benjamin's wife...Christmas 2012

Paul and I, all 16 kids and Ashley, Benjamin's wife...Christmas 2012
family

Tuesday, May 19, 2009

joyful day....

for no particular reason. Just nice and mild and sunny. My friend and sister-in-law, Kim, came to visit me today. She was my friend first, then she met my brother, and she married him so we would always be friends. Anyways, she came over today with Wellington's brother, Oreo, and they played and tumbled and growled and wrestled. She also brought her 3 year old, Charlotte Claire's best friend, and her almost 2 year old, who played very nicely with Camille - only a few pinches and pushes, but they really like each other.

We sat in the sun, we jumped up and chased kids and puppies, we had coffee, we jumped up and chased kids....

I went for a teeny little walk this afternoon, since my nap attempt failed. Miss Camille decided to fuss like crazy and not take a nap today. Rats. I really wanted just a short reprieve. I realized I have been putting in some really long days, yesterday I was up for 18 hours. That is too long without a little rest. So, I put her in one of my nice carriages and took her for a little walk when the girls got off the bus.

We are having sloppy joes and broccoli and carrots for dinner tonight. A few of my kids don't like it, the little girls. They want to know why I make food they don't like. Well girls, this isn't the Holilday Inn. They are asking for cereal for dinner. I said no. I am mean. If I let them have cereal, it will spread like wildfire. But I certainly won't starve them. They can always have some bread and butter, maybe peanut butter. Or a banana.....oh, to be merciful, yet firm. One thing though, I have to remember to let my "no" be "no".....or I'll have a bunch of begging naggers - they catch on quickly if mommy is a mind-changer....

Mali on one computer, Suzanne is playing keyboard, Mirielle, Margaret, and Abigail are sitting around talking, Charlotte Claire and Camille are playing with baby dolls, Jon is outside with puppy....Kathryn is having her hair cut and sent in to Locks of Love. It is long, and hard to take care of. It will feel so light and easy for her to begin the hot weather of summer with.


Dinnertime....

5 comments:

Cassandra said...

What a lovely day! i bet it was fun watching the puppies play togethor...

I find it hard to find food that everyone likes at dinner with my lot, i cant imagine that everyone would be pleased when there are 16!

Martha said...

Cereal for supper definitely sounds like it could get out of hand, although we all love having breakfast for our evening meal once in a while.

The weather almost feels warm enough for a trip to the beach, almost, but not quite. I'm still worn out from yesterday's dig in the garden and my son has blessed me with some more plants to put in...

LivingSimply, SimplyLiving said...

Glad you all had a nice day.
3 of my kiddies donated their hair to locks of love..
Such a sweet, sweet thing to do..
And it sure is hard to please everyone at dinnertime.
Us moms do try:)))))))
Annmarie

Becky said...

Enjoying your blog!

I tell my kids they always have a choice for dinner-

"Eat what I fix or nothing at all." Rarely, the picky one will choose "nothing".

I'm not a short order cook. :)

Mom of nine,
Becky

Enola said...

Ah yes - Mommy is not a short order cook. My child can have peanut butter and jelly if she doesn't like what we have. Sometimes I'll let her have yogurt.