summer 2011

summer 2011

Paul and I, all 16 kids and Ashley, Benjamin's wife...Christmas 2012

Paul and I, all 16 kids and Ashley, Benjamin's wife...Christmas 2012
family

Monday, May 4, 2009

empty arms....

Is there such thing as empty arms syndrome? For someone who has 16 kids? Well, I think there is. Last night, I couldn't sleep. I woke up at 1:00am, and my brain just had things to sort out. I think I have been telling myself so much that I need to come to terms with losing the baby, that I haven't taken enough time just to cry about it. So last night, I cried. And I can't cry about the baby without crying about Billy, and my mom, and my dad....and then I started thinking about the puppy thing....it doesn't take a rocket scientist to figure out that I want a puppy to love and cuddle and distract me....my Camille, at 18 months, is slipping out of my arms, and taking off.....yeah, I need to move on. But I still want a puppy. To love and cuddle and distract me.

Physically, I do realize that hormones are tumbling, so I need to deal with that too. I almost shouldn't be looking for a dog right now...I a mean what a thing to be sad about...that this dog or that dog is already taken...

Anyway, I am not totally sad. Part of me is very sad, the part that cried last night. But I am still so happy....happy to be alive, happy to be a mom to these kids, happy that I love Paul and he loves me. Does this make sense? I have always had this optimistic spirit, and I am totally thankful for it. It is definetly a gift from God.

Well, it is sort of making me feel sick to write so much about me, me, me. Even though this is my blog.

Charlotte Claire has adjusted to not having a bottle quite well. She likes to wear underwear, but only because she likes to wear underwear. She seems pretty leaky, to me. She pees like 5 times a day in the undies. Pee is not so hard to clean up, and I can't seem to convince her to go back to diapers. She insists on the undies. She goes in and sits on the toilet all the time, and I don't know if she ever pees in it. It seems like it all goes in the undies. One of these days? She so far seems to poop in the morning diaper or the nap diaper.....hmm. I am such an expert, I astound even myself.

Camille doesn't seem to miss nursing at all. She wakes in the night only occasionally, and a cuddle is enough for her....then I put her back in her little green bed, and she puts that precious thumb in her mouth. In my humble opinion, thumbsucking is worth like a million dollars. Until they are 5 years old like Jon, and still have it in for half the day. And you KNOW he'll get teased on the bus.....then I would pay like a million dollars...

I feel like we shortchanged Sonja on her birthday yesterday. I was a bad mommy. I stayed in bed until noon, because I was up for half the night with the miscarriage, then I remembered that it was her birthday! I grabbed three nice things from the present closet, in their Target bags, and hid them under a blanket on the couch. Later, Sonja came in from outside, and I told her there was a surprise under the blanket. She WAS pretty thrilled, and didn't seem to mind the lack of wrapping paper. Then Mirielle made her a cake, and also some cupcakes to take to school today. With: cake mix and canned frosting. Now, Sonja probably doesn't know this, but to me that is a ripoff. Not on Mirielle's part, I told her it was fine. I usually make my homemade frosting, and put it in the decorating bag, and make bakery-like cupcakes...oh well, she doesn't know. Just another thing for me to feel guilty about.

We are going to have a birthday party for Jon and Sonja and their friends probably Saturday....

7 comments:

maureen said...

Please don't be so hard on yourself. God does not want us to worry about the things that are not important. Your daughter had a happy birthday day, she got her presents and her cake and she got to be with you and the rest of the family.
I know you are not satisfied with store bought frosting and gifts in store bags not wrapped perfectly. But you need to lighten up on yourself!
You are an awesome Mom and you are going through so much right now. Please be kinder to yourself and give yourself some extra time to feel better, healthier.
I also want to say that I have experienced empty arms syndrome before too. It is awful, so tied to the hormone thing and the growing up baby thing. My "baby" is 17 months old, Ava Marie, and she is so sweet and still rests on my shoulder to fall asleep at night. My family thinks I am crazy as I need to sit in a quiet spot every night to cuddle her to sleep. My Mom says I am spoiling her, but she will go right to sleep in her bed for others, just not for me. And I don't care at all! I love to hold her and am so worried that she will be my last, which I don't want her to be. But at the same time I am trying to hold onto her babyhood as long as possible, just in case.
So take your time, and take time for yourself. Wallow in it a little, crying is cleansing. I am praying for you to feel healed.
Maureen

Janis said...

You are doing an awesome job, I don't know that I would have gotten out of bed! It seems your daughter felt special on her birthday and isn't that what they really want? Hang in there and keep trusting the Lord for healing (and someone new to love-as in a puppy or a baby!)

Mrs Marcos said...

Ditto what the first 2 comments said - don't be so hard on yourself. I know a puppy (or dog) won't take away the pain of losing a baby, but it sure helps keep your mind off of it when you need a happy diversion!

Anonymous said...

Just wanting to say how in awe I am of your attitude. We are always praying for you. Please have a nice day and evening.

FLmom7 said...

It's okay to be sad and to cry for awhile, allow yourself to be human. (((Hugs))) And Happy Birthday to Sonja K!

Standinginhislight said...

Empty Arm Syndrome... that is what I experience. I can be exhausted, and thankful the littles are actually sleeping (a very rare thing) yet I seem to stir restlessly through the night thinking I should be sleeping??? I guess I don't know what to do w/o a few kiddos smothering me. ;^)
You are an inspiration, and I adore the photos you share of your family. Thank you!

Robin said...

(((hugs))) I'm praying for your healing. I agree that thumbsucking is definitely worth a million+ dollars! I only have one thumbsucker out of 8 and it is awesome.