summer 2011

summer 2011

Paul and I, all 16 kids and Ashley, Benjamin's wife...Christmas 2012

Paul and I, all 16 kids and Ashley, Benjamin's wife...Christmas 2012
family

Thursday, May 14, 2009

such a sweet special puppy...

It is no secret that I do love animals. Even if it is a little yippy yappy annoying dog, I will love it if I am around it long enough....but this new puppy: oh, so sweet. She has not pooped in our home yet, and we have had her since Tuesday. Not bad. We put her in the cage (I mean CRATE) last night, and she protested for ten minutes or so, then she went to sleep....a few hours later I heard her fussing for a while, then nothing else for the rest of the night, unless I just slept through it....the important thing is that the KIDS slept through it....we can't have a puppy waking them up....anyway, at 7:10, she wanted out!!! She had peed a few times in there, but no poop! I brought her outside, and she went! Evelyn cleaned out her cage, and cut her a clean square of an old comforter....(I want to make sure the blanket she sleeps on is clean, fresh, and pee-free, so she doesn't get used to sleeping in pee)....I just there was a magic pill to get her not to pee in my house. Good thing we got rid of the carpet.....

She seems to be a really fast learner, though, and very smart. I am trying to encourage her to come to me when I call, with lots of pets and encouragement when she does, and to sit down...oh, it is fun. But so busy! I am thinking though, if I can get through these next few weeks....if anyone has any housebreaking suggestions, I am all ears....

Enough about puppies. Jon got a battery operated bubble gun....he was out on the deck on this rainy windy chilly morning in just his undies, blowing bubbles, since mean mommy says they make the floor too sticky. He is now playing his Police Car game with Evelyn.....Evelyn who got to skip school today because mommy thinks getting a new puppy qualifies for a day off. Plus, she helps me tremendously by taking her outside. Oops, so much for enough about puppies.

I told Joseph I would take him for his learner's permit after school today. He turns 18 on Saturday......I remember his birth so clearly (don't tell my kids, but some of their births are kind of a blur, or the details are mixed up) but Joseph, he was born right on his due date. It was hot hot hot that week, unseasonably hot, and humid too. We lived in a mobile home that heated up like an oven.....I had four small children, Emily was 6, Abigail 4, Benjamin 2, and Mirielle was 15 months old....Emily went off to kindergarten, and my sister Cheryl and I decided to go to the mall with my three little ones, and her Susan, Claire, and Janet....and Irene, and 18 year old friend who was helping me. It was my due date. Off we went. To make a long story short (as if I am capable of that), we turned around on the way to the mall, because I had contractions 5 minutes apart. We went to the hospital, Cheryl and I, and Irene, and six of our children....they decided to keep me, as my contractions were regular, strong, and I was 4+ centimeters....so, Cheryl and Irene took the kids home....that was 12noon. He was born at almost midnight. At one point, around 5pm, the dr. asked me if I wanted - A: go home and come back when things picked up, or B: break my water....I chose B, because it was 95 degrees at home....anyway, Joseph was my fifth child, and almost the easiest....he was born so effortlessly, or so it seems now...and: he was so beautiful. He was long and slim and he always was stretched out, no cuddling up for him....his feet always stuck out of that recieving blanket, no matter how many times I re-wrapped him. It is hard to remember the babies of my youth, because the memories are so woven with memories of my mother, the proud grandmother and fellow baby-holic. She was there.....she knew and loved those babies. She delighted in each new grandchild like that baby was the most wonderful one ever born.

Anyway, Joseph is a fine boy. He is honest and good and kind, and he is my creative child. I sometime worry because he cares nothing for school, it is boring, he probably will graduate this year....then, I don't know....all he does is play that guitar. And draw, and play video games. But he does have alot of talent, and he is a good God-fearing boy, so as long as he keeps seeking things above, God will take care of him...

Things have to be done around here, and this is getting long and boring....

1 comment:

Mrs Marcos said...

The best puppy housetraining advice I have is to treat the puppy like a toddler. You wouldn't let your toddler wander off to other areas of your home unsupervised - same with a puppy. Our dog was such a stinker that we actually kept him on a leash in the house and kept the leash clipped to our belt loops at all times. This method was the advice we got from the 'puppy headstart' teacher at Pet Smart.

So, keep puppy close to you, suggest going potty often and LOTS OF TREATS when the puppy does her business outside. We used string cheese cut into tiny cubes (also recommended by the teacher). We also cut up the 'logs' of puppy food - I can't remember the name of the brand but we bought it at Pet Smart after seeing the teacher use it and the puppy (Telly) ate it up and boy did he love that teacher! (She had treats in her pockets at all times)

Your puppy looks like such a sweetheart! Can't wait to hear her official name! :)