summer 2011

summer 2011

Paul and I, all 16 kids and Ashley, Benjamin's wife...Christmas 2012

Paul and I, all 16 kids and Ashley, Benjamin's wife...Christmas 2012
family

Saturday, May 23, 2009

the new baby didn't sleep....

Poor Mirielle. That baby was just as sweet as can be, but as soon as she was laid comfortably down in a nice carriage bassintette that I just happened to have around, she would fuss. Mirielle would pick her up again. Finally at 4am, she decided to just doze holding Jasmine. When I came out here at 6:30 (life changes when you have a little puppy who is holding her pee like a good girl and wants to get out of her cage like mad), Mirielle looked hilarious. I am sorry, but I couldn't help but laugh. I have SO been there done that, and I am sorry again, but you have to live it to know what it is like, and of course I asked Ms. Mirielle: How would you like it if you had to go all day today without a nap, and have a few more nights like this in a row? Now do you sort of know what I have experienced??? No, I couldn't help it. She was like, Mom, I know....and she went back to bed....

Tip-toe. I do not like stomping. I don't like door slamming, cupboard slamming, chair tipping, or loud smacking. (or licking fingers off, or elbows on the table).....running and plopping down on the couch. I think these things fall under the category of disrespect. I try to teach these guys to respect each other, respect me, respect their house and the furniture. Then they are not a burden when they are let loose on society, or perhaps when they visit other homes. I try to teach them not to touch everything in the store, ha, in the toy department they think it is playtime, but I do try. I noticed recently I had several kids over, and they stomped! They slammed doors! ouch. I do love them anyway, I just have to look the other way. It seems though that some parents don't realize that children are capable of learning respect, whatever specific things that seem important to the parents, the kids can learn. So then the kids just are wild and the parents are at the end of their ropes. Now our house is not a "rules-y" house. At least it doesn't seem like it. It is just natural to give guidlines about respesct. I am not so firm on things like bedtimes (the American Idol finale was a good reason to ignore bedtime) There are certain things I mentioned that we just don't tolerate, but the kids have ride-ons in here (but they don't bang into the walls or the cupboards), they have lots of toys, they are free to clear the living room floor and dance....

It's funny because my kids have picked up on my dislike of "sticky" (I always say I am the last person in the world who should have sixteen kids, I HATE sticky, hate crumb-y floors.....)when their hands get sticky or dirty, they come for a wipe or ask to be washed. Even Camille will hold her hands up to me when they are sticky.....although this did not stop Charlotte Claire from painting her arms with her cherry popsicle yesterday.....I told her I realize that must feel nice when it is so warm out (yuck!), but mommy and daddy have enough messes without having to wash her all off, so please just eat it next time....ha.

Boy, that puppy took a back seat fast when that baby got here! Oh my goodness, what sweetness. I guess she was born on April 1st, but was a month early. So really, she would only be 3 weeks old, which was what she seemed like to me. When I got her in my arms, I was like, Okay everyone, you take care of everything else now, just leave us alone.....but Camille was not fond of that sudden plan, and I certainly couldn't have her biting someone else's baby!

I think Rosie is wanting to go out again....

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

What a day!!
Poor Mireille!! :)

cheryl said...

Della, please, if any of those stompers are my girls, please let me know.. they aren't allowed to do it here, at least when I'm around.. I did, after all, try to treat them like china dolls when they were little, so that they'd know what fragile meant..(HAHAHA) I always said it's just as easy to sit nicely as it is to just "plop" yourself down..
I agree, poor Mariel!! I wouldn't have been able to resist bringing it back to what mom's go through, either. And I never would have understood at her age, either..